X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • idotheoobydooby
    • Jul 2014

Wheel Size Combos

Sup Gents,

On my build I was given a 16in rear wheel in the basket case and bought a 21in spool later on. Im nearing the end and don't like the stance it has anymore. Im looking to keep my sixteen inch rear wheel but change the 21 in. to something smaller to match the 16 and look halfway decent. Any ideas or suggestions based on what any of you guys currently run? thanks
    Attached Files
  • philmorley
    • May 2014

I'm really digging that stance, but you gotta be happy with it. Nice lookin bike so far man!

Comment

• slinginrods
      • Dec 2014

Looks killer to me. I don't really like long front ends with anything smaller than 21. But it's your bike.

Comment

• idotheoobydooby
        • Jul 2014

Thanks fellas! I do understand where your coming from. I did like that stance once, but I'm going more for something like this wheel ratio now. I don't want such a big wheel up front. I may move down to an 18 or 16.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by idotheoobydooby; 01-03-2016, 10:59 PM.

Comment

• shiteater
          • Jul 2014

I agree anything smaller than 21 might look out of place with a long front end. I would do an 18" in the rear if you want them to be closer in size. Personally I like the 21/16 combo

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
            • Apr 2012

well, you should spend some time reading up on frame geometry rake and trail, theres several good websites on this and how to get a bike to handle. Looks are one thing but to ride the frickin' thing is another thing and nothings lamer than a bike that just sits. Sorry, but if you spend some time riding it gets really old riding around with high pucker factor, not to mention how tiring it is. Look at the bikes that do the cross country rides (Horse magazine stampede).
            If you have a front end thats way high and the frame tilts like in that top pix, chances are its a foul handling beast, steering flops, and hard to control at lower speeds. Get the frame to sit level, whether with wheels and tires, rake, or raked trees. Again, study the rake and trail formulas to get it right. You might consider taller or shorter profile tires, or other tricks.
            See: http://www.chopperhandbook.com/rake.htm
            An explanation of rake and trail and how it affects the handling of your motorcycle.

RB Racing, rake, trail, chassis, Easy Rider, Dennis Hopper, Peter Fonda, Jack Nicholson, chopper,motorcycle, calculator, Harley, Harley-Davidson, FXR, Dyna, Softail

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
              • Apr 2012

BTW,,, At one point i spent a LOT of time trying to come up with a formula, using algebra or Algorithms where you can mock up a bike on paper and figure it all out. Maybe someone smarter than me (not that hard) can come up with something. But you might also look for an old Jammer chopper guide or some of the old AEE chop guides as many had specs for forks, springers, girders etc as well as other measurements for common applications back in the day.
              Personally, nothing beats mocking it all up and finding out, then playing around with it to make it all work. You might find that a typical high profile 16" tire/wheel combo only gives you 1" (One inch) difference over a regular 18" (eighteen inch) regular wheel/tire. you wouldnt expect that but in reality thats the way it really works.
              I have a chop right now im mocking up soon with different parts and might have to do some surgery on. It sits level right now, however it sits WAY TOO LOW. Which means going into parking lots, driveways, or even small speedbumps present serious issues. If you got some lifted 4x4 coming up hard and fast on your ass, and you need to get the hell out of the way quick, you learn quick that bottoming out and your butt flying out of the saddle aint no fun. Or worse,, you have no lean over clearance and in a tight corner, that can get you killed.
              Theres some videos of Mullholland drive as well as the Dragon on the east coast of bikes losing control and wrecking when the bike cant lean enough to corner. One is a bagger scraping the exhaust and it lifts the front tire,. Nasty wreck. No fun being a hood ornament of a SUV.

Comment

• TurnerR
                • Aug 2011

What rear tire and size do you have? A larger tire on the 16 may completely change your mind. That tire looks kind of small.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;