CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 4 speed Jockey shift

I am looking for leads on quality jockey shift set up. Whether it is an inexpensive purchased one, a lead on how to make one, or some kind of middle ground. I'm riding an 81 FXS with a 4 speed kick/electric start. It sits in the original frame and has forward controls. Any pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Get Adobe Flash player

Many options.

What I did is get a jockey shift plate from Prism Supply and will be welding up my own shift arm/knob to that. They did all the hard work drilling and counterboring the holes for the ratchet face.

Many people make full shifters (Paughco, Prism, LeBeef, FabKevin....) to just buy... they're not rocket science.

Get Adobe Flash player

I believe his is a cowpie. Same thoughts though, make a shifter handle. I can tell you this much, be gentle with the hand shifter as the cowpie top is not as forgiving as the ratchet.

Use your clutch cable and foot shifter for your clutch. Shorten the cable from the top down. Keeping the bracket and arm as it is. A simple hole in a bolt large enough for the cable and a cable stop clamp on the end, will work. Make up a bracket to help support it off the primary and you are golden.

Get Adobe Flash player

Ah, yeah cowpie...

FabKevin would be a good resource for this. From what I understand its important to resist the urge to attach the shift arm right to the boss arm and use a linkage like the FK arm uses.

Like JAWS alluded to, the shift boss itself is relatively weak.

Get Adobe Flash player

This is my setup.

I got this off eBay for $90. I'm also using the Fab Kevin extended clutch release arm ($99) with the paughco suicide foot clutch ($60) I'll have to modify the original clutch cable like Jaws stated.

Also, I don't think a foot clutch is recommended in the forward position, rather mount it as a mid. But I can't speak from experience on that only what I've read on the interweb
    Last edited by Eldergiraffe; 12-27-2015 at 7:45 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

All mine are and have been off forwards.... Trick is to put your whole foot on the pedal and pivot off your heel, not lifting your leg. If you can drive a stick, you can foot clutch. Make the attachment point for your cable or linkage as close to the pedals pivot point as possible to give the most pedal movement and therefore, easier control.

Ibe extended the pedal pivot for a heel rest also.

Get Adobe Flash player

This is my custom fab setup I posted a build thread on it all the pictures are sideways to lolClick image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0202.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	219.1 KB 
ID:	66275Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0204.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	66276 Should be called Dreads sideways thread!! Lol.
    Last edited by Dread; 12-28-2015 at 2:08 AM.

Share This