CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default FXR All Balls push button starter cover issue

I run a 1.7 KW All Balls starter in my 90 FXR and bought a push button starter cover from Dennis Kirk for around twenty bucks. It fits fine on the starter solenoid but when I push the button, the button sucks in and sticks, causing the starter to stay engaged and fry the battery. I can't figure it out and have taken it off to avoid causing any damage but I'm stumped. Has anyone installed the push button starter cover on an All Balls starter or experienced an issue like this?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

That's a typical symptom of a weak batt or a bad ground. That starter pulls lots of amperage.
    Can you kill the headlight while starting?

Missing parts, like the ball bearing and or return spring(s).
    Weak batt, weak spring, bad connection(s). Add a ground cable right to the starter housing. Rubber mount frame, right?
    Dry button/plunger. Use anti-sieze on install.
    Then there's everything under that primary cover.

Get Adobe Flash player

I put a All Balls Starter on a 1987 FXR. The starter is different than yours....but the All Balls Starter had a small spacer that you could put on the solenoid return spring to keep it from running on.
    I didn't need it for my bike...This is just a guess on what may be wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    That's a typical symptom of a weak batt or a bad ground. That starter pulls lots of amperage.
    Can you kill the headlight while starting?

Yeah I can kill the headlight while starting however I get the same result. The battery is a Harley Davidson and is less than six months old, however when it got fried they gave me a new one and I'm getting the same result. Plus, I keep the bike on a tender at night, so I'm almost positive the battery isn't the issue.

Missing parts, like the ball bearing and or return spring(s).
    Weak batt, weak spring, bad connection(s). Add a ground cable right to the starter housing. Rubber mount frame, right?
    Dry button/plunger. Use anti-sieze on install.
    Then there's everything under that primary cover.
    Yeah it seems no matter what I do with this thing, the button keeps sucking I to the housing and staying there. I'm going to call All Balls and see if there's some design issue when installing these things but I'm honestly thinking of fabbing up a push/pull starter solenoid knob similar to the ones you see on old choppers. Same concept as those guys who drill holes in their solenoid covers and start them with screw drivers, expect I don't wanna drill a hole in my solenoid cover and start it with a screwdriver. Anyone remember those things?

Quote Originally Posted by jimg View Post
    I put a All Balls Starter on a 1987 FXR. The starter is different than yours....but the All Balls Starter had a small spacer that you could put on the solenoid return spring to keep it from running on.
    I didn't need it for my bike...This is just a guess on what may be wrong...
    Was the spacer that went on the solenoid return spring something you got from All Balls? Thanks for the info.

Get Adobe Flash player

It came with the starter...It was in the box warped in plastic. I wasn't sure what to and when I took the solenoid out I saw what to do....the instructions said add the spacer if the unit runs on....I looked the installation for your starter....It is very different than mine....I would call All Balls

Share This