X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ari
    • Oct 2015

Low profile LED front turn signals for less than $20

New here so please go easy on me!

In an effort to slim down the front end of the bike I yanked the stock signals up front and replaced them with some super hidden LED strips.

Here's what it looked like after I got the first one installed:

So here's what you'll need:
    - The turn signals
    - 10W 10oHm resistors (can be found here or at your local RadioShack at like $2.80 for a 2 pack)

Tools:
    • Wire strippers (able to strip 22 or 24g wire)
    • Soldering iron
    • Electrical tape or self-adhering silicone tape.

Steps:

1. Remove stock turn signals. I opted to cut the wires with length on both ends, since the LED's come with a super long wire, which will need to be cut in order to look clean.

2. Cut, separate and strip each wire. Careful with the ones from the LED as they're very very thin. You probably noticed that the LEDs are 2-wire, so your turn signals won't have running lights and will only flash when you hit the turn signal buttons.

3. Locate the dark blue wires going to each of the front turn signals. These are the running light wires. Cut them short, tuck and tape them against themselves in order to keep them secure and out of the way. You will be left with a white/purple and a black wire.

4. Black = ground and white/purple is your hot wire coming from the flasher. Both sides are the same so you'll just repeat what you did on one side on the other.

5. On the LED strips the solid black is ground. Red = positive. Go ahead and connect as follows:
    - White/Purple to Red
    - Black to Black

6. Here's where it gets a little tricky. In order to keep the lights flashing you'll need to add the resistor as a bridge between the wires in order to activate the flasher and make it flash. The reason you need to use the resistor is because the load from the LEDs is not heavy enough to trip the flasher.
    Solder the two connected positives to one side of the resistor, and then solder the grounds to the other side of the resistor. Test by hitting your turn signal and you should be good, as in the side you hit should begin flashing regularly.

Here's a quick little diagram I drew to show the connections:

7. Bundle it all up clean and you're good to go! I use a combination of heat shrink, silicone tape and a zip tie to connect the bundle close to the frame and keep it out of site.

Hope that helps!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ari; 12-08-2015, 2:16 PM.
  • Stadger
    • Jan 2012

Cool idea but the pic doesn't show anything that I can see. For the price, I'm gonna buy a set to play with. Thanks.

Comment

• ari
      • Oct 2015

Thanks Stadger. I'll take some better pics this weekend and update.

Comment

• Webrat
        • Oct 2012

Better pics ready yet?
        I will add to this thread this weekend when I tap my 1.25" handlebars for .750" LED inserted into them.
        This will be plenty bright to pass state inspections we must endure. I just want to be riding and not be bothered by LEOs for stupid crap.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;