Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tomahawk1976
    • Apr 2014

Anybody make a decent 110v welder?

I'm a pretty shitty welder, and am just looking to pick something up to practice with and maybe wel up some sheet metal of a sissybar. My garage only has 110 though. Anything out there? Any advice or suggestions?
  • StuntmanMike
    • Mar 2013

I've got a Hobart Handler 140, best purchase I've ever made.

About $500 roughly either through Amazon, northern tool, or tractor supply co.

Comment

• frank96
      • Jul 2012

I love my Hobart 140 too. I've ran a lot of wire through it with no problems.

Comment

• houstonch73
        • Nov 2013

Lincoln makes several. My guess is you'll find people saying certain models aren't good but it really all depends on what you want to weld. btw, the Lincoln at Home Depot and Lowes are the same ones. Just rebranded for the stores. Look it up as the info is easily found so you can compare from store to store.

Biggest thing is to stay away from the HarborFrieght crap. inconsistent arc due to shitty voltage regs and will burn out after about a day's use.

Comment

• HulkJoegan
          • Jun 2013

Originally posted by houstonch73
          Biggest thing is to stay away from the HarborFrieght crap. inconsistent arc due to shitty voltage regs and will burn out after about a day's use.
          I have a harbor freight 110v fluxcore and it actually has lasted me pretty long and welds just as well as the old Hobart fluxcore I used at my last job. The problem with harbor freight shit is lack of quality control. you can buy one that shits out in a day or one that lasts forever, the curse of cheap Chinese stuff. So is it worth the $89.99 I spent? hell yeah, just make sure you buy a a spool of Lincoln or miller wire and pay attention to the amount of time you're welding or you will burn it up

Comment

• Welderjosh
            • Jan 2011

What sort of money do you want to spend. You can't beat the new Millermatic 200 if you have the cash. You can tig weld with it too.

Comment

• Bmyers
              • Apr 2024

Lincoln SP125+

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

You can use a good welder for a lifetime and once competent with it you WILL use it for many things unthought of when you bought it.

The little Lincolns and Hobarts are in body shops all over the country because they are portable and you can carry them inside a vehicle. I do suggest getting one that is MIG capable even if you begin with flux core.

Cylinders are cheap via Craigslist so don't buy new. PRACTICE and check out training videos from Miller and others online. CLEAN everything you weld. (I prefer flap discs to grinder rocks.)

Learn some welding basics on self-shielded flux-cored welding. Because this welding process does not require any shielding gas, it's the ideal wire welding p...

Comment

• tomahawk1976
                  • Apr 2014

Tons tons tons of great advice. Thank you very much! I'm thinking I like the Miller with the TIG capabilities. Gonna save a while longer

Comment

• rextec
                    • Mar 2011

I love my Hobart 140, no problems here!

Comment

• farmall
                      • Apr 2013

Much knowledge lives here:

Comment

• IronHead73
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Welderjosh
                        What sort of money do you want to spend. You can't beat the new Millermatic 200 if you have the cash. You can tig weld with it too.
                        You mean multimatic?

Comment

• ScottArcher
                          • Jan 2014

I love my Hobart 140. I have two friends that have them and I had to get my own after throwing my shitty harbor freight flux junker in the trash

Comment

• Welderjosh
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by IronHead73
                            You mean multimatic?
                            Yes sorry. The multimatic. I just bought one for a fab job and I love it. It works on 110 and 220. You can plug a spool gun into it for aluminum if you need also.

Comment

• farmall
                              • Apr 2013

Millermatic = older but excellent MIG, Multimatic = multiprocess.

Miller make nice spoolguns too.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;