Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daddy454
    • Oct 2015

Hardtail frame ???

So,I'm thinking I might go hardtail this winter,but I am clueless as to what frame to choose.Want mostly close to stock geometry, as this will be my first try.What do you guys generally recommend as a good frame?'99 XLH.Trying to use as much stock parts as I can to start at least.
  • panheadpete
    • Oct 2011

Hardtail your current frame = stock geometry + keep VIN + your title

Simplest easiest way - if you arent a GOOD welder send it to Haifey Bros or similar and get it pro done
    Last edited by panheadpete; 11-10-2015, 5:49 AM.

Comment

• Daddy454
      • Oct 2015

I did think of that also.I'm probably not good enough that I would trust it on the road.Wondering if it would look "bare" enough.What's a good quality weld-on?

Never mind,I just searched Haifley bros.
      Last edited by Daddy454; 11-10-2015, 6:22 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot.

Comment

• pedrodeleon
        • Feb 2012

I put a Haifley bros. hardtail kit on my sporty a couple years ago when they first came out with the kit. I strongly recommend it and if you can't weld they'll do it. Getting the kit with a seat, fender, sissy bar, and oil tank is great because everything fit together perfectly. Also, communication was great throughout the whole ordering process from questions before I ordered to questions while installing the kit. Another good one if you're on the east coast is Mike at 47 Industries. He's a good guy and does excellent frame work and his hard tails look great but he doesn't offer a kit like the Haifley bros. do. Here's a couple pics of my sporty with the Haifley bros. kit.

IMG_3701

IMG_3698

Comment

• alex54
          • Dec 2012

pedrodeloean, your bike is so nice !! exactly the 'style' that I am doing on my 883 !

What size is your rear wheel ? what is this wheel ? coming where ? Or from which bike ?

Exhaust is nice and looks like Hi N Tight Sportster pipes

Comment

• pedrodeleon
            • Feb 2012

alex54 Thanks man! The rear wheel is an 18"x2.15" WM3 chrome steel rim with an 18"x4.00" tire. I got the rim from Visionary Cycle Products and got stainless spokes from Buchanan's and laced it up to a stock hub. Lacing and truing wheels isn't that hard to do, just find the pattern and take your time. The factory service manual lays it all out clearly. Pipes started out as high 'n' tights that I welded the turn outs onto to follow the frame rail.

Comment

• alex54
              • Dec 2012

Great, thanks a lot for the answer. All your choices was well thinked. Thanks for the rear wheel details. I am looking to put a fxwg aftermarket 19 inches wheel (double flange) coming from Mid U SA. I just have to drill flanges (from 5/16 to 3/8 and 7/16) because 19 could be also nice (and simpler because no lacing to do). The big problem is that I am in France and some amercian company don't deliver to France and wwhen it is possible border taxes are randomly expensives. thanks for all these informations

Comment

• panheadpete
                • Oct 2011

Alex you may already know but FXWG wheels are 21" - If you are chasing a 19" can you use you current rear hub which already fits perfectly and wont require any new spacers etc - all you will need is spokes rim and tyre?

Or

Hopefully someone has a pic saved some where of a bike I've seen with 19" x 2 sportster mag wheels - it actually looked really good and for a REALLY clean look you could run a sprotor on the back and single disc on the front?

You may well be able to hunt those wheels there saving time and cash

BTW Unbelievable news this morning - my heart is bleeding tri-colour!
                Last edited by panheadpete; 11-13-2015, 6:21 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by pedrodeleon

IMG_3701

IMG_3698

I bet that would be one hell of a coaster bike.....

Comment

• alex54
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by panheadpete
                    Alex you may already know but FXWG wheels are 21" - If you are chasing a 19" can you use you current rear hub which already fits perfectly and wont require any new spacers etc - all you will need is spokes rim and tyre?

Or

Hopefully someone has a pic saved some where of a bike I've seen with 19" x 2 sportster mag wheels - it actually looked really good and for a REALLY clean look you could run a sprotor on the back and single disc on the front?

You may well be able to hunt those wheels there saving time and cash

BTW Unbelievable news this morning - my heart is bleeding tri-colour!
                    As I told you MidUSA is doing 19 inches FXWG wheel (double flange) that are going well on sportster (same size as original hub).
                    I will search on this way.

concerning terrorism thanks for the support. France will be strong face to this stupid mothers fuckers.
                    It is not the first time and will not be the last one too, but unity is really present in the country

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;