CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Classified

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I had an issue with the classifieds a while back where I could get the first picture up that displays on a page but not the ones in the actual post. It ended up being my phone took too large of photos and the inpost ones had to be resized for whatever reason.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Oxblood View Post
    I had an issue with the classifieds a while back where I could get the first picture up that displays on a page but not the ones in the actual post. It ended up being my phone took too large of photos and the inpost ones had to be resized for whatever reason.
    I'm thinking this thread does not belong on the main forum, but I'm going to let it run here for a bit. This thread actually brings up some very important off-topic points that might not be necessarily be noticed...

CHOPPERS ARE DEAD!

...almost. There's a theory, one that I've been pondering for some time, and it's effects/affects are starting to appear more and more across the community.

Choppers (or the popularity of them)(the trend) is like anyting else, there's a tide. The tide goes out and comes in. When it's coming in, classified sales are great! People are making money and selling hard. When the tied is going out, sales drop and interests is lost... I believe we are currently in the "outgoing tide" phase.

Here's a related example; we're going into 2016 with the eight year of a major "chopper show" coming up in June. Wow! So you think, eight years hu, that's pretty damn impressive (and it is). But... and here's where I might ruffle some feathers and shake your world, what do you think you'll see that new this year? Will there be some new chopper stretch, rake, paint job, or vintage part added to a new build that you've never seen before? I don't know... but when I take a look around, there's a lot that's, to put this mildly, I've seen before.

So, there's like 20 thousand new people who'll attend that have never seen this stuff before (*). How about that? True. There's a lot more people getting on the train. I used to say, hoping on the band wagon, but we filled that wagon years ago and they built a high speed rail to move society into the "chopper world" (read: corporations are getting deeper and deeper into our little-big community because that where the "new" see (*) above, interest is.)

So one one side of it all, there's a lot less people interested in chopping, building, and (even) accessorizing with parts from shops; grips, throttles, seats, tanks, etc. etc. (see any number of clone company catalogs). But there's a lot more people getting "into" choppers, but not really, they're getting into motorcycles (or at least that what the corporations want you to believe).

Look at ads for Insurance companies... they all have motorcycles in them now! Ten years ago, forget about it. None of them did. Progessive has Flo riding a damn motorcycle. Remember, the television/magazine/radio "impression" is usually a tool used to get you interested in something that has shown to be trending. There was and has been a up tide, but (at least according to Harley sales reports) that tide has turned.... and Spin Doctors behind the walls of these companies are losing their jobs trying to come up with a way to make all of this resemble a profit margin.

I don't have any all-inclusive data sheet to back these "claims" up. These are merely my opinions that continue to be reinforced by what I'm seeing day in day out on chop cult, on the streets, talking to small shop owners, etc. etc. Builders with an agenda might feel otherwise and that's fair, attendance reports at all of last years (2015) major "Chopper" events might prove me wrong (but the people I've talked to who had booths there who were actually there selling... tell me I'm on the right track...) so do you believe the "promoters" of these events who have a financial interest to protect? Or do you believe the people working under the easy ups who know traffic and sales at these same events year after year?

Dig into it and see for yourself. My prediciton is; The current stagnation of the classifieds is going to get worse before it gets better, but it will eventually get better. And in the modern instant gratification of social media we live in, maybe it'll get better sooner rather than later. But I'm not holding my breath.

Get Adobe Flash player

This is great news..... for my own selfish reasons. Bring on the cheaper prices!

Get Adobe Flash player

That's some good info Allen.... Trends do come and go.... And I've seen many... But most people are going to Baggers now.... Even though most are those ugly big tire slammed bikes. Those parts don't show up in the classifieds.... I think CC people are more geared toward more traditional bikes...

Like anything that people collect for themselves, sales always slows down this time of year..... There are many reasons.... I've seen it for many years... I also sell on ebay and have since 1997 and things have slowed down there too.....So don't worry about it, it will come back like it always has.....

Oh yea, I don't think prices will get any cheaper.....

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by numberonewing View Post
    wings prices are so lowwww they cant resist im doing ok but got lotta shit here to sell so buy from wing with confidence
    Yea, the economy is shit if you can't even sell that Orange Count Choppers knife for $29 !

Get Adobe Flash player

Well.....I'll tell you one thing as a guy who's been scouring the classifieds looking for stuff to buy.....a lot of not so interesting things being listed and what is interesting.....just a little high priced. For me anyway. Still some deals on bikes but the parts are just.....

Get Adobe Flash player

What's funny for me is that I've been scouring the classifieds for shit k need and it's usually fuckin killer but recently there ain't shit to buy and the decent shit that's posted is posted for more coin than if ever pay for it. Either that or it's full of people who won't split shit that people want/need and would rather sit on it waiting for someone to buy the set, whatever. Post up some cheap 8 over 39mm fork tubes or an evo hardtail frame and I'll be all over that shit, but only for the right price.

Get Adobe Flash player

I find it odd that people say prices are to high but things usually sell... Sometimes you just have to step up to get what you need...... Or you need to come up with a different plan......

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    I find it odd that people say prices are to high but things usually sell... Sometimes you just have to step up to get what you need...... Or you need to come up with a different plan......
    I'm also a guy who'll wait things out and say fuck it if it doesn't pan out. I waited a month and a half for a set of mags with new tires on it, guy was lookin for 350 at the beginning and a month and a half later I was shakin hands throwin them in the back of the jeep after a whopping $75 spent. I'll wait for a deal, and I didn't say shits too high I said shits too high for me. If it's used I ain't payin more than 40% of original cost.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 0BLCKTJ6 View Post
    I'm also a guy who'll wait things out and say fuck it if it doesn't pan out. I waited a month and a half for a set of mags with new tires on it, guy was lookin for 350 at the beginning and a month and a half later I was shakin hands throwin them in the back of the jeep after a whopping $75 spent. I'll wait for a deal, and I didn't say shits too high I said shits too high for me. If it's used I ain't payin more than 40% of original cost.
    I read what you said but many others said prices are to high....I didn't single you out or I would have quoted you.....
    I'm glad you can wait it out... But somethings never come around very cheap.... Just be glad your working on things that are cheap.....

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    So this thread isn't about how things aren't selling?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JMFNC View Post
    So this thread isn't about how things aren't selling?
    Things not selling has nothing to do with prices being to high or low...... Sales just slow down from time to time......

Get Adobe Flash player

I agree with the inflated prices... I haven't been buying chopper parts for 30 years like some dudes but I have been around it on and off. I don't get how a pile of panhead motor parts without a title is work 5K or why a harley rigid frame is worth 4K. I know they aren't making this stuff anymore but the prices sure skyrocketed. I think the prices will settle and the true chopper dudes will be here to scoop up the deals.

It already happened with the "occ type" yuppie choppers about 10 years ago. They were 30K plus to build or buy one now you can buy them for 5K on craigslist.

Get Adobe Flash player

It's December most people are broke Nov Dec Jan Feb so unless you give it away it's always slow. This is time year when alot of businesses go out of business.

Get Adobe Flash player

OEM Harley parts pre 85 will continue to climb in value. Every day more the stuff is sold off out of country and that means every year the parts get crappier and harder to get.
    I pay way more each year for parts. If you wait your out of luck.
    My Dad use to pay 200.00 for panheads. Now for same panhead he would have to pay 30 grand or more.
    I been doing this business since late 80s. In 1 form or another. Nothing ever gets cheaper unless it's new parts that have flooded the market. Old parts will always continue to inflate in price. Unless someone doesn't know what they have or they need to unload immediately.
    I don't sell much on here because people don't understand the value of parts.
    The restoration guys pay big money for good parts. If parts are worn to end of the shelf life not so much. Guys on here expect the good parts for the worn part price.
    Anything with good clean vin numbers is worth coin especially matching cases halves. Broken cases will fetch thousands if it's the right case. Real panhead and knuckle frames fetch 2g for ones needing work to 6g for hard to get perfect examples.
    Old Harleys is a rich man's game. Sometimes us broke guys get lucky but to fix it correctly is expensive.
    The billet barges of the early 2000 time frame do not have parts to support them. The shops all went belly up or discontinued the lines so they are worthless. Most were not ride able out the gate and frankly they were not Harley Davidson. Guys were able to mortgage the heck out of their homes making the money free to blow. It was more about bragging rights on how much was spent then the bike themselves.
    Most guys would bought the panhead restore but they would have to wait a year for it and why do that when one can but a shiny high price tag revtech chopper. That's why the bikes sold and why they are now worthless. No repair parts and almost anyone can get financed by Harley to buy a bike now.
    Last edited by 24Cycles; 12-08-2015 at 2:40 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

^^^ Well said^^^^^ Just like I've been saying for years.....

Share This