Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gingerbiker95
    • Oct 2014

Want to chop a frame but have a low budget and crap tools

I've got an old Suzuki I wanna chop, kinda Church of choppers style. I have a frame jig and a stick welder. Firstly, would stick welding do the job and hold? I wanna cut the neck off and put a new backbone on it. Secondly, that would involve pipe bending and notching. Any tools and tips for notching? This'll be a first time thing, wanna go balls to the wall.
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Practice stick welding on some stock of the same thickness then bend test the sample. Look on Weldingweb and the Miller site for info.

What kind of stick welder (that's like saying you have a wrench but not what kind) and how many amps output? That determines what you can weld.

Stick is quite capable but the operator as with all welding processes must be competent to produce a sound weld.

Comment

• metal
      • Aug 2010

I'm no welder, but working at a chemical plant there was plenty of guys that stick welded pipe. The welds seem to hold up good between the harsh chemicals and pressure/vibration being put on them from steam. I would trust stick welding, but I would agree with farmall's advice. Goodluck to you and what jig do you have (it's the next thing I need to get).

Comment

• bobberadam
        • Jan 2011

The job is only going to be as good as the time you put in to it. I will make a very "blanket" statement that stick will hold up just fine for a frame, there is a lot of variables in that statement so don't take it to heart. I have used everything from cut off wheels and grinders to hole saw bits in a drill press to notch tubing. You can go to your local hardware store or craigslist and get a conduit bender that will work OK for bending. take your time and make it rite the first time and you will be fine with minimal tools.

Comment

• Paris
          • May 2014

Files. They r cheap

Comment

• joe49
            • Jun 2014

The Fabricator: How to Notch Tubes Without a Tube Notcher video on you tube. Stick is fine. But just tack it, if you're not a welder and take it to some one who is.

Comment

• turbonate
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by joe49
              The Fabricator: How to Notch Tubes Without a Tube Notcher video on you tube. Stick is fine. But just tack it, if you're not a welder and take it to some one who is.
              X2, take your time and get the joints as close to perfect as you can. Tight joints are stronger and easier to weld, plus the look better when finished. By some good quality files and use them for the detail work.

Comment

• Gingerbiker95
                • Oct 2014

Originally posted by farmall
                Practice stick welding on some stock of the same thickness then bend test the sample. Look on Weldingweb and the Miller site for info.

What kind of stick welder (that's like saying you have a wrench but not what kind) and how many amps output? That determines what you can weld.

Stick is quite capable but the operator as with all welding processes must be competent to produce a sound weld.
                I have a Lincoln Electric AC225

Comment

• panheadpete
                  • Oct 2011

Please dont think me disrespectful but for my mind asking if a stick would be sufficient indicates you probably arent ready to be welding up a frame (like myself FWIW) so please consider having a pro weld it up - if it goes wrong it can be catastrophic - there are plenty of pics floating around of snapped necks etc

A LOT of well known hyper experienced bike builders have frame guys as there a fair bit to doing this including correct slugs etc not just correct penetration

Or have someone work alongside you that REALLY knows what they are doing that way you can learn as well as get the job done properly - maybe there is someone near you that can take you under their wing?

FWIW I bought a MIG and did a course at night before cutting loose and wont do frame work
                  Last edited by panheadpete; 11-01-2015, 1:42 AM.

Comment

• JWright
                    • Sep 2015

stick penetrates deeper so it will work fine as long as you know what youre doing. fit up is key. practice on a few test pieces then cut it apart across the weld to see how well you are penetrating

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;