CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Rust inside gas tank: What should I do?

I'm working on my first project bike, which is a '77 XS650 (doesn't run... yet), and I took off the gas tank to remove a large dent on its side. After stripping the paint, several strange gashes and spots of what looks to be epoxy filler appeared. I finally peered inside the tank to see if this indeed was a dent or actually a patched up tear in the metal. It turns out it is a full thickness tear that the previous owner had sloppily patched with solder. Upon inspection, I discovered what appears to be quite a bit of rust...

I was hoping to remove the dents and refinish the paint; however, at this point I'm wondering if it's even worth attempting to restore if there's rust inside the fuel tank. What are y'all's thoughts and opinions? Can rust be removed from the inside of a tank? If so, how? And how detrimental is rust in a fuel mixture to the engine (obviously none is best)? As always, I appreciate any feedback
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015-10-21 19.35.28.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

look down the page about 10 posts and you'll get your answer.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 47str8leg View Post
    look down the page about 10 posts and you'll get your answer.
    Thanks bro! Don't know how I missed that, probably high from all the fumes...

Here's a link to the previous thread if anybody else stumbles across this one: http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44161

Share This