Softail tank on a sporty - will it work?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • viviann
    • Oct 2015

Softail tank on a sporty - will it work?

I've got a question for my Harley connoisseurs!

I've got a 2008 Sportster 883 with a standard Sportster gas tank. A few weeks ago I was at a flea market and picked up a pair of gas tanks for $30.

After some research I've found that they likely come from a 1990s-era Softail Heritage. The decals match exactly.

My question is: is there a way to make it work having the two Softail tanks on my Sporty? They're big, but I imagine with some elbow grease (and welding) it could be done. Anyone have any experience with this? Any wisdom is appreciated! I've put up some pics. Paint job is kinda shot but with some TLC it could be made fresh again. Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	1338864Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	1338865
  • thebcb
    • Apr 2024

Damn near anything can be done, but...

You will need to weld in an EFI plate for your fuel pump (similar to CCI# 653105). It will take a fairly large chunk of real estate on the bottom of that left tank and I doubt that paint job will survive the metal work involved. The mounting I'm not sure on due to the length of the flatsides versus the stock sporty tank but they do make flatside tank mounts kits that you may be able to modify for your application (Drag Specialties# DS-391301 or DS-391300) or you can fab your own. Hope this helps a little.

Comment

• tradarcher
      • Jul 2010

If your bike wasn't efi then it wouldn't be as big a problem. I used to think like that. Had a sportster and always wanted it to be anything but a sportster so I put tanks on it and other costly crap and it was still a sportster but I had pumped a bunch of money into it. Those bikes are long gone but my last bike was an ironhead and I bought it all set up like a big twin and restored it back to sporty set up. Now I have an appreciation for sportsters just like they are.

Comment

• 53rigid
        • Mar 2010

this my opinion only, but those big gas tanks rarely look good on small sportsters.

Comment

• SlyJJ
          • Mar 2015

My build was a little tight around the motor, and I had a 2" up stretch on my frame. You *might* need to weld on a little neck gusset. Provided you're willing to do a little welding I don't think getting it to fit would be an issue.

Comment

• thebcb
            • Apr 2024

Viva La Cantina!!!!!!

#fuckdatniggaleslie
            #fuckdatniggadusty
            #fuckdemniggashowclass
            #vivalacantina

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...