CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Rust in tank

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Rust in tank

Ok guys, noob question here but I got a new oil tank for my bobber build about 5 months ago. It came raw metal and I'm just getting ready to paint but I realized that I have a little bit of rust build up in it. I want to clean it out and seal it if needed before I paint it. Hoping to get some advice on this. I've used kreem on a gas tank before but I didn't care for it. I've also heard not to use a sealer on an oil tank but looking for good word on this issue.

Get Adobe Flash player

I would throw something abrasive in it and shake it around to get the loose stuff out.

Maybe solvent and just put oil in it, the oil should stop it from rusting.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Kerosene+ beads

Quote Originally Posted by midnight52 View Post
    ok guys, noob question here but i got a new oil tank for my bobber build about 5 months ago. It came raw metal and i'm just getting ready to paint but i realized that i have a little bit of rust build up in it. I want to clean it out and seal it if needed before i paint it. Hoping to get some advice on this. I've used kreem on a gas tank before but i didn't care for it. I've also heard not to use a sealer on an oil tank but looking for good word on this issue.
    I have read somewhere people use lead or steel beads+ kerosene mixture and shake that up in the gas or oil tanks.
    I would never use any coating in the oil tank. And i don't seem to have problems not using any coatings in my 2 steel gas tanks, just keep them filled with gas to the top during winter.

Get Adobe Flash player

pea rocks and a dryer.
    fill it up with the little rocks and wrap it in enough blankets that it doesn't flop around in the dryer. set to no heat and tumble for a while..

Get Adobe Flash player

Whew I've bought two hondas where someone thought that was a good idea.....pulled two teaspoons of sand out of each tank, then the petcocks, and both carb sets. Fine particles might've been pulled into the CL450 bore, it was fucked UP, that motor was so clapped I could only start it on ether.

I would flush them thoroughly with water, then acid (muratic, battery, whatever, add Acid to Water ("A" comes before "W," DO NOT add water to acid.) and wash it out. Neutralize it with backing soda and wash it with soapy water. If you want to go further, look up electrolysis. That pulls the remainder if acid didn't take care of it. Coating tanks I'd only consider an epoxy. Even that can pull off the cap area.

Get Adobe Flash player

well those people were lazy and not thorough, seaking.
    don't be lazy and not thorough.

Get Adobe Flash player

Just went through the same thing.

I poured in CLR (since tank was chrome, didn't want anything too heavy) and hot water, left it in for like a week. Did a good job but it flash rusts when you rinse and dry - I use gasoline after to rinse a few times, then pour in some oil to coat the metal.

Came out real nice. No sealers on oil tanks though!

Get Adobe Flash player

I'll add..If you have a radiator shop nearby they can re-line it. I had this done to a tank that was almost to rusted to do anything with, but after the new lining is good to go!

I did this a couple of years ago with a swap meet oil tank I picked up. I ran down to the local Home Depot and bought a gallon of concrete etcher. Poured about a quart in the tank with a hand full of nuts and bolts. Rolled the tank for 15 mins then let it sit for 30. Rolled it again for another 15. Drained it and rinsed it with water real good. Basically I stuck the hose in there and let it run for 5 mins. Used the air compressor to blow it dry. Then added some oil and rolled it around to cover the inside surface. Been using it for two years now.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by loddytoddy View Post
    pea rocks and a dryer.
    fill it up with the little rocks and wrap it in enough blankets that it doesn't flop around in the dryer. set to no heat and tumble for a while..
    +1 on this, got to stress if you're doing a petrol tank NO HEAT haha. I use the local laundromat late at night..........

Get Adobe Flash player

RUSTMORT! suprisingly enough you can get it at harbor frieght. shits awesome. if you have a hand held belt sander and velcrow your in bizness. pour the crap in your tank velcro tank to sander suspend and let it vibrate for about an hour. clr works pretty good also. remember. acid to water not wat to acid unless you have aflac and need money. they dish out quite a bit for losing limbs.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've done Rustmort and Radiator shops. Both work awesome. Rustmort is cheaper. I threw a handfull of nuts and bolts and some parts cleaner and shook it around to get the big chunks out, then Rustmort. Worked great. Radiator shops keep them rustproof forever, but sometimes they piss up your paint.

Get Adobe Flash player

Try Vinegar

Get Adobe Flash player

my favorite is BB's and attach it to a BBQ spit,let it spin awhile.then a magnet will get the BB's cause they are steel,not allowed lead shot any more,I agree no sealer

Get Adobe Flash player

White vinegar has worked well for me. Fill the tank completely and let sit a good 5-7 days if not in a huge hurry. Drain and rinse with a little baking soda. Then I do a quick acetone rinse.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by loddytoddy View Post
    pea rocks and a dryer.
    Every time I see someone suggest this I've got to believe it's trolling.....this is so fucking dumb

Get Adobe Flash player

I just used 3/8th nuts , counted how many I put in ,like 20 or so , wrapped it in a clean rag w/painters tape to keep it from dirtying up all the pillows and shit from getting dirty. Then wrapped the whole mess w/a clean sheet, more painters tape ,and crammed it in the dryer. It has to just fit through the dryer opening. If you don't do this it will bang around like mad and open the dryer door. Take out and blow out w/compressed air. After that soap and water and blow dry again. Repeat if nessacary ,then oil to coat.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbetty View Post
    Every time I see someone suggest this I've got to believe it's trolling.....this is so fucking dumb
    have you ever done it?

worked fine on my tank on the XS I sold and is still on the road with a clean fuel filter..
    maybe i'm just so fucking dumb that it just happened to work...
    Last edited by loddytoddy; 10-15-2015 at 1:24 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Sounds like a great way to ruin a tank and/or clothes dryer - hillbilly advice

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbetty View Post
    Sounds like a great way to ruin a tank and/or clothes dryer - hillbilly advice
    Try it , it works fine and will damage neither. The nuts work better in situations like an oil tank or seamed gas tank as gravel can get
    stuck in places you can't see. However I have used pink fish tank gravel (w/out using the dryer method ) on rounded tanks and a shallow
    tunnel such as a mustang tank. Swish it around in the tank and it's like internal sandpaper. empty it out ,blow out w/ compressed air OUTSIDE
    and with a mask on it and watch the brown cloud. Do it a few times , rinse thoroughly w/soapy warm water and blow dry w/ compressed air.
    Use a flashlt.and inspection mirror in a dark area and make sure no fluorescent pink is in there. Afterwards marvel mystery oil or some other
    brand that will coat the tank and work w/gas.

Share This