CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Graduated high school a year early, and then dropped out of college. But, since we all own fancy Google Machines the level of formal education one has completed is rarely in line with their education. I know for a fact that I'm more educated in a broader range of topics than most of my friends, including the ones with bachelors degrees and most of the folks I know with a Masters. Sure, you might have studied design for 4 years or have a doctorate in physical therapy, but how much do you know about US history? World history? engineering? computer networking? software? robotics?

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a BS in business but I have no business running a business. I've never balanced a check book. I got a degree so I could get a commission in the Navy. I also went to A&P mechanics school and got my mechanics certificate, that was harder than college.
    Last edited by KevinN; 10-08-2015 at 3:34 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I graduated from high school. Eventually.

I've dropped out of 4 colleges.

Lucky for me education is not a reliable indicator of intelligence nor of skill on the job.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by krb View Post
    I graduated from high school. Eventually.

I've dropped out of 4 colleges.

Lucky for me education is not a reliable indicator of intelligence nor of skill on the job.
    I've met lots of people who were educated beyond their intelligence.

Get Adobe Flash player

HS grad
    College
    One masters and will have my second in a few months from the U of M.

Get Adobe Flash player

Final semester for my degree in History with a minor in Geology, Already got the paperwork going to start my Masters in Social Work.

Get Adobe Flash player

Went to 7 different schools to finish gr.8 Then a little "free enterprise" supply and demand business, then lots of fast learning doing good paying labour jobs.

Get Adobe Flash player

Good Enough Degree and an electrical apprenticeship. Paid off far more than any of my siblings' and friends' college degrees.

high school push-out/graduated after summer school. I think they were tired of me! Did a semester in community college. the rest is the school of life

Get Adobe Flash player

High school graduate after getting put into every single special program they could possibly drop me in to so I wouldn't get kicked out or drop out, trying to get into motorcycle mechanics apprenticeship now.

Auto shop was great, everything else can fuck right off.

Get Adobe Flash player

Left school in the eleventh grade. Earned my GED in prison several years later. Beyond that, self-educated, and a lot of shit I had to learn the hard way.

Some of the most important and valuable lessons in life can only be learned the hard way.
    Last edited by EVILBLACKSABRE; 10-08-2015 at 10:49 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

9th grade,36 different jobs. Proficient machinist, and sufficient mechanic, rotten husband.

Get Adobe Flash player

h.s. grad, tech school during last year of h.s. for collision repair and fab.

Started college a few times and always ended up dropping out about 3/4 of the way through because of debilitating depression/anxiety despite being one of the better students and the go to guy for pretty much anything. I learned most things just living and seeking information though, i spent pretty much my entire life learning how to build/make things and how to work with materials.

Closest i came to actually getting a degree was a bachelor of the arts in welding/fab..... 3 months left and a dead baby made me lose it and ive been fucked ever since.

Get Adobe Flash player

Did pretty well in school, at least when I wasn't getting into trouble, and had plans to go to college. Was interested in design, engineering, architecture, and saw college as a way out of the lifestyle I grew up in, as well as the physical confines of the central valley. Didn't work out for me though.

Long story short, I realized that going straight into UC, or even a state school wasn't realistic from a financial standpoint (I was accepted to two that I applied to, one up north, one down south), became disenchanted, got in trouble, missed a bunch of classes (some due to being in jail) and wound up barely graduating. Still made the curve in my IB English finals, about a week and a half after my teacher woke me up at my desk to ask me, without condescension, if I had any intention of passing his class, which still makes me chuckle a bit.

With legal fees to pay, and few prospects, I started working. Taught myself to pinstripe, spent a few years building pools and working in a chrome shop, and eventually got the oportunity to start welding. Partied way too hard and had some pretty epic good times, and some equally extreme bad ones.

Ran into my buddies who went to college, and felt more than a little condescension from time to time when I mentioned that I had no plans to go back to school, and that I planned to keep on working for a living. Fifteen years in, I make six figures a year and never spent a single minute in a college classroom, so I guess I'm doing all right. Now when I see the guys who were just a little too cocky about going to college, I take the high road and make sure to tip them well.

Knuckleduster

Highest grade completed - 8th (dropped out of High School 9th grade , 2nd year)
    No G.E.D, No Vo Tech

I did however take woodshop in 6th grade, I really excelled there, and was kinda the teachers pet. He often let me work special projects . built a waterbed frame for his daughter while rest of class did shadow boxes. He could tell i was more skilled than the others. I even had my own private shop area, hed even let me cut other classes to work on projects in the shop. I also really enjoyed Art class, though the teacher was a dick, he taught well. Played 2nd Bass in Orchestra , and really loved music too. I also excelled in Biology , and took advanced classes (Honors Biology), always found how fast genetic mutations can occur, interesting.

Outside of that I graduated from tha school of hard knocks. lived on the street, driftin around town, from 13-16.

As a kid, I wanted to do Art, but didnt understand how i could profit from it. or how to get my work in a gallery. There was an art gallery at the end of my block growing up, and it always blew me away at the prices on the pieces.
    Unfortunately, I ended up in construction. Got into it at 15, been at it pretty much since then. Sadly, as I near 40, I'm looking at other work options, I'm pretty beat up to keep doin what I've been doin for the last 20+ yrs. It's been an honest livin, I just gotta find somethin easier than roofing/general const, and I'm kinda scared at the thought of Wal-Mart greeter position.

I might not be able to tell you about world history, or what the square root of 19 is, or what the capital of Guinea is, but I know how to operate pretty much any tool, or vehicle. I know that 4-5-6= square 90 degree angle. I have advanced mechanical, and applied working physics skills/knowledge. (i.e. if you do this , X will happen) in a variety of different areas; levers & cantilevers, ropes and pulley systems, load handling, triangulation, etc, etc. I also have some self taught PC skills, though primarily a tinkerer.
    Basic HTML(used to make websites from scratch in Notepad, back when the Internet was first available to the public), basic PML (Palm Markup Language),(some) C, C+, C++, Visual Basic Script, among other things, such as building PC's.

Though, I do have something a lot of folks who graduated HS, and gotten a College degree don't have,
    ....Common Sense.
    Last edited by Knuckleduster; 10-09-2015 at 7:55 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Barely made it thru high school , dropped out of tech school twice , learned everything the hard way, also got an education on how if you work 2 jobs to try to stay ahead your wife will become a cheating whore

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by FatKat View Post
    Barely made it thru high school , dropped out of tech school twice , learned everything the hard way, also got an education on how if you work 2 jobs to try to stay ahead your wife will become a cheating whore
    Nah, she was a cheating whore before you met her, you just afforded her the opportunity.

Get Adobe Flash player

Finished HIGH school,,, passed just fine I guess. They gave me a diploma. Did 2 years learning Assembler programming then immediately went into high steel construction. (what happened there?) Did a stint doing environmental remediation when my body gave out from the steel work. Taught myself all about computers n shit,, had 2 businesses doing that,,
    Finally stopped that shit when the guy I hired took me for over 50K. (got like half back)
    Taught myself more computer shit and now I work on IT operations for a fortune 50 company.
    Yea,, its cushy n shit but no satisfaction at all. Just goes from one problem to another. It's getting old
    But the time off is real hard to beat. I'm off every other weekend for 3 days in a row then on top of that I have almost 5 weeks of "vacation".
    Still though I would really like to do something that actually has a "satisfaction" factor, if ya know what I mean. Maybe open a cabinet shop or something like that.

High school and MMI graduate

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbard View Post
    9th grade,36 different jobs. Proficient machinist, and sufficient mechanic, rotten husband.
    Watch for PM. I need another custom sprocket from you.....

Share This