CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Will Sportster tank fit an evo Softail

Hello All

I would like to change the looks of my 99 FatBoy. I would like to mount a sporty tank onto the Fatboy. Aside from removing the tank and dash and rerouting the ignition will a sporty tank fit reasonable well? Anybody done this?

Thanks Guys

Get Adobe Flash player

Not the answer you're looking for but anything can be made to fit. I have an Evo softail as well and I'm gonna say you'll need to relocate a lot of electronics if you wanna just slide on a stock sportster tank.

Get Adobe Flash player

Search for the "Old School Softail" thread on here for some inspiration. Bradleys answer is solid. You'll probably have to cut the fatbob tank mounts off your frame, and drill a hole (ideally, weld in a threaded bung) where the Sporty tank tabs are.

My buddy has a Wassel-style tank on his Evo softy, so it's definitely do-able. Just a matter of how much stuff has to be cut off, re-routed, or relocated.

Get Adobe Flash player

Depends on which sporty tank you use. There are many different mounts through the years. I was going to put one on my softail but I felt it was just too small for the large frame and took it off. I had trouble finding a seat and rear fender to match. I was able to use the front cast mount hole that is horizontal on the softail frame but had to weld on a small piece of tube in front of the lower dash cover mount. The previous owner of my bike had raped the electronics anyway so I already had the wiring out of the way.

Get Adobe Flash player

Keep in mind that the Evo Softail frame does NOT have a straight backbone, so take that into consideration when selecting your tank (high-tunnel vs. low tunnel)...

Get Adobe Flash player

The tunnel will fit fine, it's the tank mounts that in most cases will need to be modified, but sometimes you can get away with just drilling a couple holes in the back bone if the mounts line up to the frame where you want it.

I've done a few tank swaps on softail and Dyna frames so I know it's fairly straight forward, just check the tunnel depth, that's it has a peacock and not a hole for an EFI pump, and have a gander at the mounts as sometimes you can get an aftermarket sportster tank where the mounts will ce close to your frame mounts. This will make life a little bit easier

Share This