Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeffy
    • Apr 2010

im kinda ashamed, but excited at the same time

i purchased myself a pair of redwings........

they look cool, have some history, and are supposed to be king shit in the boot world. i definitely feel like a hipster for buying them now instead of years ago before they were used as fashion accessories, uggghh. i cant focus too much on that i guess. hope they live up to the hype, ive never been able to afford a pair before and im close enough to do so now (bought a like new used pair for half price so still REALLY cant afford them but.....) so i figured why not.

weird thing over.
  • 72chrysler
    • Sep 2011

Quality is quality, that never changes, regardless of who gloms on to it. Good fucking boots, last you a lifetime.

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

They are fucking work boots so ignore the hipsters, which most of the country doesn't even have in numbers. In many areas they exist only on the internet.

I've worn plain black T-shirts since before they were common, blue or better, black (shows fewer stains) jeans, and whatever quality work boot or military boot was handy and IDGAF who likes it or not. I'd dress identically if I were a millionaire. It's functional, protective and boots provide good foot support. I don't even own shoes, all of which I dislike.

Once you find what fits that you like, hunt deals on replacements long before they wear out since barring accident yer feet ain't gonna change.

Comment

• Jeffy
        • Apr 2010

yep, im with you there. black tees and black jeans since forever. i did some trendy fashion bullshit in highschool and then i learned that its stupid because in a few months you wont be fashionable any more and you would have to start all over again. i just go for simple and easy, replace shit when it needs it and rock it till it dies. who the fuck cares what im wearing besides me? if they do they need a life.

yeh im hoping for some decent boots out of this deal. im tired of buying a pair every year.

Comment

• OleDirtyDoc
          • Jul 2013

I wear the same shit I've always worn.every once in a while it'll come back in style,that's when I tell people I'm a trend setter

Comment

• bosco1690
            • Sep 2014

I got a pair of red wing wedge sole got them around 4 year ago geting close to needing a resole. I wear throogoods wedges for work they are the best boots ive ever worn they are made in the us and around 100 bucks less than red wings.also had same style for years white or black under shirt and jean for summer flannel or hoody for the rest of the year

Comment

• Tacitus
              • Aug 2013

Great boots. Quality is the way to go. Cheaper in the long run and more enjoyable to use. Have to agree about black. Also, black jeans, black t-shirt and black underwear makes laundry day easy for me, no sorting.

Comment

• FatKat
                • Aug 2010

Most of the time I wear dr martins , have for years and have also seen the decline in quality since they are made in China now , also have some steel toe timberlands that are some of the most comfortable boots I've ever had my feet in

Comment

• turbonate
                  • Sep 2010

I have hell keeping boots for more than a year. Are the red wings really that good? I have a pair of Rockies that are 9 months old and nearly thrashed. I've never found anything that would last me more than a year.

Comment

• spent
                    • Feb 2013

I get a healthy boot allowance from where I work, and have used it to get a couple pairs of Red Wings. Growing up my dad used to get them through work as well, and to me, they're work boots, plain and simple; I don't really care or understand where the hipsters come into play.

My first few jobs were spent wearing hand-me-down Wings from my dad. Always the same style: the stiches stitched toe ones the hipsters seem to love, except steel toe and without the crepe sole.

I bought a pair of waterproof lace ups with aggressive tread when I first hired on, and keep them in the locker for days when it rains out on the lease. They're hot as hell, but seem nice, so last year I special ordered a pair of the ones like pops used to wear. When I got them, I noticed that they just didn't seem the same. The soles were different, and the leather had a cheap look to it. Then I noticed the 'Made in China' on the tag. I was bummed. Sign of the times, I guess. I wore them maybe twice around town, and they've sat in the box ever since. I may oil them up and give them another shot... or just sell them to a hipster. I dunno.

This year I'm going to give them one more shot and order a pair of engineers with my boot allowance for riding in. In the meantime, when work needs to get done, I'll stick with my raggedy, comfortable, two year + old Ariat pull-ons with steel showing through the toe.

Comment

• LinkBelt
                      • Oct 2010

Being a Union man I wore Red Wings for years. Working Iron I'de go through a pair about every 6 months. Then Red Wing decided to move there operation over seas and that was the end for me. I now wear Throogoods now they last about the same but they keep getting more and more expensive. I'm thinking my next pair will be either Geogia or Caralina work boots.

Comment

• Grantman
                        • Aug 2012

I work for a major oil company that has a $200 limit at Redwing every year. After the corporate discount I end up paying about $30 for a new pair of Redwings every year. I give the old ones (that are like new, just dirty) away, otherwise my closet would fill up with boots. I have 2 pair to alternate right now and I think I'll just start stacking them for when I retire though. My dad used to buy a pair every 5 years and he was a diesel mechanic that walked around on concrete all day. The ones made in Redwing, MN are great (all mine have said "Made in the USA"). They also are twice the price, but in this case - you get what you pay for.

Comment

• Jeffy
                          • Apr 2010

Well Shit grant, if I had known that I would sent some money your way instead for a pair. I probably still would for a backup in case I fall in love. If your my size that is.

And stacking them up is a great ideas
                          Idea. Japan and trend lovers would buy a perfectly aged set for a pretty penny I hear. Added bonus from the job kinda

Comment

• JWright
                            • Sep 2015

redwings are good and long lasting but take awhile to break in. I personally prefer danners or timberland pro. Most of the time I buy the timberlands cause I can get them for under 150 and they last about 2 years, also they have comfort fit so there is no break in period. bad thing is they cant be resoled. I have only had one pair of danners but was quite impressed replaced the sole after about 18 months, had them for about 3 years. No matter what boot I wear I replace the insoles at least every 6 months. A few of the older guys I work with swear by the red wings and danners and gave me a tip for break in and fit..... sounds weird to me but... they say put them on and soak your feet in water, wear them tell they are dry, this will fit the leather to your feet, then give them a good soak in leather sealant and that anti scuff stuff for the toes. one guy said his red wings have been resoled 3 times, about every 18 months

Comment

• OleDirtyDoc
                              • Jul 2013

I bought a red wing for $400,needed carbs cleaned

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;