X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JesseKilgore
    • Jul 2014

Little Help: 1982 Sportster Clutch Issue

Howdy Folks,
    So I have this little sporty I have been working on for almost a year. Pretty much all wrapped up and looking tits (IMO).

It used to have these 19 inch apes which I swapped out for some lower Murphy looking bars. The old clutch cable was far too long so I got a new Barnett cable closer to the size that I needed and installed.

I swapped out the clutch cable as normal and then tried to get the clutch adjusted using every damn method available online and in the manual but still a no go. My new clutch cable (and adjustment) isn't making my clutch engage and I know its the right length... The pull on the clutch lever is VERY VERY hard and so I didn't try to force it anymore (don't want to break shit).

So, my thought is maybe one of the bearings inside fell and now it wont adjust correct?
    Maybe something is out of whack in the clutch basket like plates or the like?

Anyway, I'm going to pull it apart and take a look tonight.

My question is:

What could cause my clutch lever to have a very hard pull (and not really move the clutch at all) when I have followed all the adjustment procedures (properly as far as I know) and lubed the cable (properly as far as I know)?

Is there anything I should keep my eye out for when I pull the cover back off?

I'm hoping a bearing fell out or something stupid and once i pop the primary cover off it will be obvious, but if its not then any suggestions as to what to check next are very welcome!!

Thnx
    -jes
    Attached Files
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

[QUOTE=JesseKilgore;697249

So, my thought is (maybe one of the bearings inside fell) and now it wont adjust correct?
    Maybe something is out of whack in the clutch basket like plates or the like?

Anyway, I'm going to pull it apart and take a look...
    What could cause my clutch lever to have a very hard pull (and not really move the clutch at all) when I have followed all the adjustment procedures (properly as far as I know) and lubed the cable (properly as far as I know)? [/QUOTE]

Think your barking up the right tree....

If any one of those three balls are out of their pocket, you will have the condition that your seeing...

The snap ring suppose to keep them in the pockets... But as wear comes into play from usage over the years, things tend to get a bit loose...
    Last edited by Dragstews; 09-17-2015, 3:55 PM.
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• docmel
      • May 2015

I had a 81 back in the day. While the clutch ramp set up (see in the pic already shown) is a really simple and factory cost effective set up, it has to to be in good shape. Remember, your bike is a '82, 23 years old, and Ill bet none of the ramp parts have ever been replaced, which equals wear, just like the previous poster said

One of the most aggravating parts is the part on top, far right. Thats the part (if I remember correctly) that only has 3 or 4 dimpled in (with what looks like small peens) in the casting well (primary cover) that hold it in place. Its a design that is just asking for probs over wear and years. Ill bet it has wiggled loose when you put the primary cover back on, or a ball has worked loose. It a very simple, but very frustrating set up to work with

DO NOT force the clutch arm. You have a prob inside of the primary that you need to focus on a replace, one or more on the items shown in the pic. Good thing its a cheap and easy fix

Comment

• JesseKilgore
        • Jul 2014

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I was worried that I "over tightened" the adjustment screw or did something else and F'd something inside the clutch basket or something else that would cost big $$... Im OK if I need to replace some small part, but a clutch is more time waiting for money to buy parts... haha

I got a new primary gasket from my local independent shop and some 20/50 to put back in so I can HOPEFULLY take this bucket for a ride tonight.
        After almost a year (off and on) of wrenching on it, I'm a little antsy to ride the bitch. LOL

Ill post back what I find in case someone else has this issue later on and come a beggin' in the forums for help hahah

thnx
        -jes

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;