X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tjgonz
    • Sep 2012

[help] Sporty chop breakdown w/ video

Hey guys,
    been commuting on a chop I bought & put back together for about a month everything has been ok.

I had made a skatewheel chain guide to keep the chain from eating my elec box..wheel got shredded to nothing at about 80 mph.
    I pulled over & took the skatewheel off & removed the bracket. Then pulled my wheel back because the chain slaps really hard.
    The chain was pretty tight but I figured it would be ok just to get me through the day till I got home.

On the ride home after work I noticed my front brake didnt have as good stopping power,
    anyway I get on the fwy & get up to around 75 when I just lose all power.
    You can see in the vid Im turning throttle with nothing really happening.

So far Ive tried to start her but barely get a click at push start button. Battery shows 12.5 v without key turned & about 4.5v with key turned.
    The electricals on this chop are pretty much bare minimum but Im not sure where to start. Any advice or experiences would be appreciated a shit ton!
    Thanks

• BuxBitza
    • Mar 2015

It sounded like it was starving for fuel. When you open the throttle the mixture got lean since there wasn't any fuel flowing to the carburetor. Tell us the diagnostics that you performed so that we can eliminate those possibilities.

Comment

• 7and7is
      • Dec 2012

So with the key on your only getting 4.5v? That don't sound right, the only time it should drop is when you are cranking it, then it should only drop to around 11v check your ground from the battery to the frame make sure they are clean and tight (Check your + while your at it), if all that is good, have battery checked, if battery checks out I would start looking for a short in the wiring, that 4.5v with key on just sounds like something is pulling it down.

Comment

• woz
        • Mar 2012

Did the chain do some damage to the electrical box? For sure check battery connections and ground but then I would look for a short. The 4.5v with key on is way low.

Comment

• Freewheeler
          • Dec 2012

The low voltage across the battery suggests a draw on the current which *may* be a short circuit where your chain has shredded the loom - do a visual, is there any chafing? Apart from the ignition circuit does everything else work, horn, lights?

Nick

Comment

• tjgonz
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by 7and7is
            So with the key on your only getting 4.5v? That don't sound right, the only time it should drop is when you are cranking it, then it should only drop to around 11v check your ground from the battery to the frame make sure they are clean and tight (Check your + while your at it), if all that is good, have battery checked, if battery checks out I would start looking for a short in the wiring, that 4.5v with key on just sounds like something is pulling it down.
            Charged battery up today & put her back in the bike.
            I started at 12.7v, turned key & it searches between 4.1 & 4.8
            My taillight was doing the strobe light, its really strange
            Turned key off & battery was at 12.4 & climbing back up.

From what Ive read If I cant find a short I should test volt reg & stator is that correct guys?

Originally posted by woz
            Did the chain do some damage to the electrical box? For sure check battery connections and ground but then I would look for a short. The 4.5v with key on is way low.
            Yes pulled it & charged her up made sure good ground & connections, its def going down to 4v with key turned

Originally posted by Freewheeler
            The low voltage across the battery suggests a draw on the current which *may* be a short circuit where your chain has shredded the loom - do a visual, is there any chafing? Apart from the ignition circuit does everything else work, horn, lights?

Nick
            The allen bolt head on the elec box took all the damage so far the box is still sound.
            Wiring inside looks good & untouched.
            All I have is head & tail, they both are doing a strobe light thing when I turn the key.
            They start dim then brighten a little then shut off & repeat till I turn off key..crazy s#*%!

Thanks again guys

Comment

• woz
              • Mar 2012

my money is on a short somewhere.

you could try disconnecting the whole charging system and then turning the key to see if you get the same result, that will tell you if its your stator or reg. you'll want to disconnect it as close to the key switch as possible (not sure how the bike is wired/how easy that'll be)

Comment

• MIKE47
                • Aug 2009

First inspect for damage to wiring. I am assuming you already did but being freshly reassembled maybe something went back together differently of got pinched in assembly? iff all good then charge the battery, out of the bike and have it load tested. A meter can not load test. Any auto zone or decent repair shop can put their load tester on it and tell you good or not. I am guessing that battery is toast. What caused it? IDK. But a bad cell in a battery gives you exactly what you have: good reading till heavy draw applied (starter button) then very low voltage. If you had a short to ground on any power circuits you'd have instantly blown a fuse (if you have any) or you'd have melted wires. If you fried almost anything else on the bike it should at least still crank from the button (I am assuming you have a button right on the starter from what you said).

Comment

• Freewheeler
                  • Dec 2012

Good post from Mike, how old is the battery? Is it a gel or one of the lead acid ones? Vibration on a motorbike, especially a hardtail is brutal on components.

If your battery checks out then its a question of elimination and you will need to start disconnecting each circuit to see where the draw on your battery is coming from.

Nick

Comment

• farmall
                    • Apr 2013

I'd eliminate the ignition switch by disconnecting it and using a firmly connected, for example by a screw and nut through the wiring harness eyelet connectors) jumper to see if anything changes. (Mere jumping leaves a possibly fucked switch in circuit.)

While other stuff happened, ignition switch malfunctions are common. Wiggle, fondle and caress harness to see if anything changes. Old or damaged wires can fail internally, have very little ampacity, but still ohm check good.

Comment

• rncbigdawg
                      • Aug 2011

i had somthing similar with my 883 sporty...grounded the + battery cable and fried my electronic ignition..the bike was idling but could get to rev past 2k

Comment

• Freewheeler
                        • Dec 2012

Dry solder on terminals is also another good thing to check for and really easy to straighten out.

These checks aren't difficult to find or fix, you just to be methodical and take your time.

Nick

Comment

• brooklynbomber
                          • Sep 2011

How old is the battery? Any bike I get unless I can tell its brand new gets a brand new battery so I dont have to mess with this stuff. Not worth breaking down.

Comment

• tjgonz
                            • Sep 2012

Thanks a s#% ton for the replies & help guys.

Gonna try to tackle it with patience this weekend.
                            Last nite I had a couple beers after work & started tinkering
                            Wiggled every wire shes got & somehow got my lights back on working.
                            Tried to crank her & got the click but still not enough juice to turn the starter.

It was motivating though, Im betting all my chips on electrical which sucks to deal with
                            but I was heartbroken when I broke down & thought my motor was done lol

Im gonna try everything mentioned here for sure but my money is on this..
                            When I got her everything was soaked in surface rust, I took her all apart a couple times & grinded it all off then got it pc'd.
                            Well the wiring is so minimal the only wiring up front besides the reg is my headlight wires & coil wires which were run through the frame.
                            Anyway when I got it pc'd I left them in & decided if they survive the oven Ill leave them if not Ill pull fresh wires though.
                            Ive had no trouble with them up until now, could be the problem or could not be but I figure now is the perfect time anyway

Suspect battery has been eliminated in my opinion but whats funny is I took it to pep boys & o reillys
                            & neither would even touch it besides a basic voltage reading, said they werent allowed to.
                            Its a beefy high crank battery from batterymart.com
                            not sure why not : /

Comment

• Freewheeler
                              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by tjgonz
                              Thanks a s#% ton for the replies & help guys.

Gonna try to tackle it with patience this weekend.
                              Last nite I had a couple beers after work & started tinkering
                              Wiggled every wire shes got & somehow got my lights back on working.
                              Tried to crank her & got the click but still not enough juice to turn the starter.

It was motivating though, Im betting all my chips on electrical which sucks to deal with
                              but I was heartbroken when I broke down & thought my motor was done lol

Im gonna try everything mentioned here for sure but my money is on this..
                              When I got her everything was soaked in surface rust, I took her all apart a couple times & grinded it all off then got it pc'd.
                              Well the wiring is so minimal the only wiring up front besides the reg is my headlight wires & coil wires which were run through the frame.
                              Anyway when I got it pc'd I left them in & decided if they survive the oven Ill leave them if not Ill pull fresh wires though.
                              Ive had no trouble with them up until now, could be the problem or could not be but I figure now is the perfect time anyway

Suspect battery has been eliminated in my opinion but whats funny is I took it to pep boys & o reillys
                              & neither would even touch it besides a basic voltage reading, said they werent allowed to.
                              Its a beefy high crank battery from batterymart.com
                              not sure why not : /
                              Oh its all coming out now

Think about it - what kind of plastic coating on a wire could withstand a 200 degree powdercoat curing temperature? You've probably got a whole run of bare wire that has fused itself to the inside of your frame lol.

I'd try and rip that lot out and start again.

Nick

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;