Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rubman
    • Dec 2011

Union work?

Just looked up the start wage for a first-year apprentice in my local Iron Workers union and saw that, even in the first year, right out of the gate, they make more money than me.

Was thinking about possibly shifting gears. I've always enjoyed working with my hands and turning wrenches. I was wondering if anyone could lend some helpful advice about the easiest ways to get in; I'm in Philadelphia, but will go where the money is. I have a BA in nothing relevant, and a certificate in welding (stick and mig, mostly).

Can probably pass a drug test (as ridiculous as that probably sounds), no felonies (as ridiculous as that sounds), and I'm a quick learner.

at 25, is this kind of career shift feasible? Or should I just keep hustling my advertising experience around?
  • Keeleyvision
    • Aug 2015

If you are 25 and there is any possible way for you to get in, do it. You are probably going to have to buddy up to someone who is already in, your education won't mean shit, your welding cert means even less (you will have to test on their process like a real welder).
    When I was in my late 20's I turned down an opportunity to become a union pipe welder because at the time I was making more as an independent, that soon changed, and I have regretted it ever since.

Comment

• JetBlackII
      • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Rubman
      Just looked up the start wage for a first-year apprentice in my local Iron Workers union and saw that, even in the first year, right out of the gate, they make more money than me.

Was thinking about possibly shifting gears. I've always enjoyed working with my hands and turning wrenches. I was wondering if anyone could lend some helpful advice about the easiest ways to get in; I'm in Philadelphia, but will go where the money is. I have a BA in nothing relevant, and a certificate in welding (stick and mig, mostly).

Can probably pass a drug test (as ridiculous as that probably sounds), no felonies (as ridiculous as that sounds), and I'm a quick learner.

at 25, is this kind of career shift feasible? Or should I just keep hustling my advertising experience around?
      ever concider copywriter? you should go teamsters... unions are mostly like a corporate church these days... lots of dues wanting hand outs and a lot of lipservice... too much of that shit helps chase jobs across lines in the dirt.

Comment

• 53hemi
        • Jan 2012

I don't know anything about union work; I just wanted to say not to let your age even enter your thoughts. I went from successful chef to merchant mariner in my mid thirties. Four years in and I'm a certified engineer with full benefits and looking at a retirement age of 56. Only thing slowing you down is you. Good luck.

Comment

• Ramzilla
          • Oct 2013

Haven't you been writing for Maxim and shit lately? As a heavy equipment mechanic I say save your body from the beating, stay in a cushy air conditioned/heated spot and keep writing. Money isn't everything in life man. But by all means if you are unhappy and want to do something else then go for it.

Comment

• krb
            • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Rubman
            at 25, is this kind of career shift feasible?
            Because at 25 you have such an entrenched career history?

Before making a decision I'd take at other programs such as electrical workers just to see what is available.

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

Fuck all the above. Join the Air Force, work at least 20 years, then retire and become work-optional for the LAST THIRD of your life. (I suggest staying well over 20 for the pay bumps.) I enlisted during a Recession and vowed to get a good job with great benefits and an early retirement. Uncle Sam delivered.

Good training, mostly chill atmosphere though some utter pussies whine about it, lots of fun places to be stationed especially since Sand Box tours tapered off (not that the Chair Force has it remotely rough on any deployment) and lots of good times. There are many global bases you can get orders to and often homestead. Alaska is also very popular with everyone I met who served there loving it.

I retired at 47 (enlisted at 21) and would do again without hesitation. Meanwhile my civilian peers actually have to work and sometimes it's not even fun. The Air Force IS effectively a union job with strong legal protections and an excellent working atmosphere in most units.

I like machinery so I went into aircraft maintenance (OV-10, F-4 Phantom, F-16 as Comm/Nav, engines then crew chief) and loved it, but the medical weenies have more profitable civilian potential and lots of hot females. Maintenance has nearly no hotties. Do not become a cop, security forces, ammo, transportation (unless augmenting the Army on convoy duty looks fun, fuck that), or go in general enlistment. There are lots of tasty jobs available even if you have to go Delayed Enlistment to get a slot. I suggest if you go maintenance to get on airlifters like C-17 because they will outlive your career and a second career if you choose to become a tech rep or similar, but fighters are fun too. UAVs will continue to grow so that's a safe program.

The math is fun. If you keep your shit together (not hard) you can be financially free to do what you want while you are still young enough to do it. Second careers are common too with senior NCOs and officers working for contractors, Federal agencies, and military equipment manufacturers.

I'd ramble on but it's time for a hot bath and a packed bowl.

Comment

• JockEShift
                • Feb 2015

Originally posted by farmall
                Fuck all the above. Join the Air Force, work at least 20 years, then retire and become work-optional for the LAST THIRD of your life. (I suggest staying well over 20 for the pay bumps.) I enlisted during a Recession and vowed to get a good job with great benefits and an early retirement. Uncle Sam delivered.

Good training, mostly chill atmosphere though some utter pussies whine about it, lots of fun places to be stationed especially since Sand Box tours tapered off (not that the Chair Force has it remotely rough on any deployment) and lots of good times. There are many global bases you can get orders to and often homestead. Alaska is also very popular with everyone I met who served there loving it.

I retired at 47 (enlisted at 21) and would do again without hesitation. Meanwhile my civilian peers actually have to work and sometimes it's not even fun. The Air Force IS effectively a union job with strong legal protections and an excellent working atmosphere in most units.

I like machinery so I went into aircraft maintenance (OV-10, F-4 Phantom, F-16 as Comm/Nav, engines then crew chief) and loved it, but the medical weenies have more profitable civilian potential and lots of hot females. Maintenance has nearly no hotties. Do not become a cop, security forces, ammo, transportation (unless augmenting the Army on convoy duty looks fun, fuck that), or go in general enlistment. There are lots of tasty jobs available even if you have to go Delayed Enlistment to get a slot. I suggest if you go maintenance to get on airlifters like C-17 because they will outlive your career and a second career if you choose to become a tech rep or similar, but fighters are fun too. UAVs will continue to grow so that's a safe program.

The math is fun. If you keep your shit together (not hard) you can be financially free to do what you want while you are still young enough to do it. Second careers are common too with senior NCOs and officers working for contractors, Federal agencies, and military equipment manufacturers.

I'd ramble on but it's time for a hot bath and a packed bowl.
                If you go this route, I wouldn't enlist if I were you, I would go to OCS due to the fact that you already have a degree.

Comment

• krb
                  • Jun 2013

Originally posted by JockEShift
                  If you go this route, I wouldn't enlist if I were you, I would go to OCS due to the fact that you already have a degree.
                  OCS slots are hard to get and it can be very difficult to be in long enough to pull any retirement. Promotions for officers can be very political and if you fail to get promoted they kick you out. When I was in the air force I worked with a lot of guys who had their degrees and enlisted to take advantage of a student loan repayment program.

Comment

• SLO
                    • Feb 2013

Get a job with a city. You'll paint benches and pick up trash and shit but most have healthy packages that make it all worth it. The guys I talked to work 4/10's and I use work real loosely.

Comment

• Nottso
                      • Apr 2012

Before being forced into early retirement due to a broken neck I made my living as a Union Steamfitter (known in some places as a Pipefitter). The work was damned hard, and Iron Workers work even harder. That said, the work is very rewarding and the pay & benefits are hard to beat. But...

I would counsel anyone young enough these days to join the military. Air Force or Navy. Put in your time and if you achieve any kind of rank the retirement is pretty damned good. And you'll be young enough for a second private sector career if you so choose.

Comment

• JockEShift
                        • Feb 2015

Iron Worker is a super hard job. I've worked on bridge construction jobs with them and it's no joke. They earn every penny. They are also crazy as fuck as a rule.

Comment

• CRFyou
                          • Mar 2010

Rubs is gonna have to get a gnarly fucking tattoo waiver.

I'm not sure which branch could/would take him with his current level of tattoos.

It's a bummer for sure. I can't stand how fucking lame tattoo regs are, but I'm not the HNIC so...

Comment

• dirtygrotonscoundrel
                            • May 2013

To what crfyou said, that's the killer. I tried to go into the army (because they had the most lax tattoo policy at the time) a few years ago, and no go. I wrote literally a hundred letters to everyone that the recruiters said had a snowballs chance of helping me, and still nothing. I have tattoos on my head that you can't even see (because my guinea hair is so thick) when my hair is to regs, but still no go.

Also, I used to be in a union in the radioactive energy business and that shit sucked. Look into any Union you're thinking of joining, because some just straight up suck and only watch out for #1.

Comment

• spent
                              • Feb 2013

Some good advise here, but it all comes down to realistic expectations, your skill set, and what you're willing to put up with. Right now, I work a job in the oilfield that would, in most fields, be unionized. I love it. I've been there under two years and I'm looking at six figures this year. Not bad for a blue collar guy with not a day of college.

That said, I tell people all the time to look elsewhere when they ask about working where I do. The schedule and work atent for everyone, but the real issue is finding a spot in this economy with zero experience. Uphill battle, to say the least. I worked for years in a fab shop, then jumped part time in a county spot, and worked up to the local irrigation district before I landed the job I got. The gubmint jobs have decent benefits, but they aren't always the golden ticket to success and stability everyone makes them out to be.

Not tryin to talk you out of anything, just wouldnt want to blow smoke up your ass, either. Ask around once you find a specific field you think you would be an asset in (and it always pays to go into it thinking of what you can do for the job, as much as the other way around) and find out what it pays where you're at and what the base requirements are.

Also, keep in mind that most top-tier trade work wants hair, as well as piss and a physical. Basically, if you can't lay off for about eight months, then it isn't for you in the first place. It sucks on a certain level, but trade work ain't what it used to be in the days when our fathers and grandfather's were swinging hammers and burning rod as apprentices.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;