CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 5 of 5 First ... 345

Thread: Union work?

shovelwitch

Quote Originally Posted by loddytoddy View Post
    can't forget the rad skate shesh that breaks up the pan ride.
    Or "The day my uncle touched me" main feature.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by MetulMunky View Post
    hey Rubaman, i have more than a few friends that work/worked for "TEN" the enthusiast network, formerly sourcelink media ( hotrod magazine,dirtsports and offroad,4x4, all the automotive mags you can think of). i know they are looking for some help, i dont think the pay is awesome, but its work in Media. they asked me to come help, but i have a much better opportunity happening right now.
    Hey dude! I'm always down for freelance gigs writing/editing/etc. Can you PM me contact over there? Make them give me a column somewhere -- i dare you!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by turbonate View Post
    How to skate with a selfie stick
    By TW Mfofofski

As I pushed my pan head out into the bright, brisk Milwalkee morning, I heard the birds chirping and realized that I wouldn't be able to push my bike for much longer this year. Pretty soon, the ground would be slick with snow, and I would lack proper footing to be able to handle the bike safely. My season was nearly over.
    As I swung the kickstand down, i thought of all the times I'd pushed this bike into just the right angle, and most of the time, been fortunate enough to catch the light just right, for some amazing photo ops. This time is a little different though, I'm having trouble deciding exactly where to put the bike. I know I want to skate with my selfie stick because I need to get some good material for my fans on Facebook, IG, Twitter, KIK,Craigslist,and Gaybuttfuckingcowboys.kawm. I've been practicing with the stick and no camera, until today that is. That's why I'm putting the bike out here, I had a stroke of genius last night when I realized if I could catch the pan in the background of one of my selfies while skating, that would be amazing. I know people would love it, but I'd have to act like I didn't do it on purpose, because let's face it, that's kind of desperate.
    As I padded up I scanned the surface of the ramp for any defect, obstacles, or protrusions, and did not find any. I picked up my selfie stick, and dropped in, it was a small ramp, as far as my standards go, 36 inches or so, but it had the right patina, and I could use it for free, so here we are. As I gained speed down the ramp I knew my calculations had been correct about the weight of the camera changing things. Is wasn't so bad as I couldn't manage it, but definitely different. I got warmed up with a few nice back and forth passes ( sorry guys, I don't know a thing about skateboarding ) I was really starting to get the feel
    Of this and was even managing a few glances at the screen. I could see my bike, but I was having trouble getting the bike and skate ramp in the shot. I spent around a half hour just riding the ramp, up and Damon the small slopes hitting the button on the camera randomly. I have a 680gig hard drive on this thing that I can live link to youtube. It makes it kind of bulky, but I guess that's the price you pay for being "chopular" as those idiots on chop cult call
    It, you've got to produce a lot of material to stay on top of the game, people forget who you are if you're not right there in front of them. I sat down on the top edge of the ramp on the opposite corner to go through some pics, and for no real reason I held up the stick and boom, there it was, the perfect angle, I could see the ramp and the bike, and my face made up about 30% of the screen confined mostly to one corner. It was amazing, I snapped a few shots, and decided I wanted to try for the real thing, so I dropped in again, cutting all the way to the top of the ramp, I worked my way to the outside, and took pictures like they would be worth $1000 apiece tomorrow. I stopped and looked them over, and I could tell it would be just right, riding in on that angle that you just couldn't duplicate without a skateboard. But the bike was cut off, I had me, and the ramp, but the bike was cut off. Ok, I guess I just need to go a little harder. I drop in again and really start cutting it close to the edge, I was burning it up, and I can in fact tell you that I was riding on the edge, because I went over it. I misjudged my landing and flew feet first into the grass, and landing squarely on my ass, breaking my tailbone.
    I'll be down for a little bit, but as we all know from past experience that I'm pretty resilient and heal quickly.
    I ended up using the pics from the too of the ramp. The ones just sitting there, they had the pan in it, and It was almost perfect. That lean made it look just right when I was riding the pipe, but I had to ride too close to the edge to get the whole bike and ended up crashing. Looking back on it, maybe I should've tried moving the bike.
    Q: how do you skate with a selfie stick?
    A: you don't. Use the pictures of you sitting on the ramp.
    this... this is perfect. just. perfect.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by shovelwitch View Post
    "Finding a chick that will do braless side tit IG shots for free"
    Dude. Let's not stigmatize whores and the photos they take.

As a guy, I am horny for all skin shots like that.

What they're doing is obvious to the point of tedium, but I cannot hate on boob shots...

shovelwitch

Quote Originally Posted by CRFyou View Post
    Dude. Let's not stigmatize whores and the photos they take.

As a guy, I am horny for all skin shots like that.

What they're doing is obvious to the point of tedium, but I cannot hate on boob shots...
    The rip was he has to pay for it. True nikkas like us sleep on a bitches ass cheeks at night. Free of charge.

Get Adobe Flash player

pm'd yuh man

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey rubs I'm a ironworker have been for 25 years it's a great job lots of money to be made and for me 5 years 3 months and I can pull the pin with 7k a month in my pocket. My kid is a 5th period punk (apprentice) he is making 28 a hour at 21 by the time he turns 55 he can get out with 11k a month or more , and that's not taking the annuity fund in the count
    If you can get in do it

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by fish433 View Post
    Hey rubs I'm a ironworker have been for 25 years it's a great job lots of money to be made and for me 5 years 3 months and I can pull the pin with 7k a month in my pocket. My kid is a 5th period punk (apprentice) he is making 28 a hour at 21 by the time he turns 55 he can get out with 11k a month or more , and that's not taking the annuity fund in the count
    If you can get in do it
    Sounds like a pretty good way to make a living. Don't even know what i'd do with 11k/mo. Any tips/suggestions on how to get into it?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Rubman View Post
    Sounds like a pretty good way to make a living. Don't even know what i'd do with 11k/mo. Any tips/suggestions on how to get into it?
    Do you know anyone in the trade??

If not my first step would be to call the local union hall and see what they say,..

Maybe they have a website explaining the process and requirements,...

Get Adobe Flash player

I have been to the website. They don't have anything there, specifically. But they do have a contact number.

Something to think about......

These big Union jobs are coming to an end. We enjoyed a moment in time starting in the 70's where people were promised, and received, big retirement packages. The world is changing and we are in a global environment now. Unions that were once strong and now weak and getting weaker. I'm a plumber in Wisconsin and fortunately I own my own business because there's no way I would want to depend on the union going forward. Below is a chart showing the decline in union workers. Follow the trend.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	union.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	63900

Working with your hands is great, i'd have it no other way. But bare in mind that your body takes a pounding. I once read that the average pension checks delivered after retirement was 17. That's 17 months until your dead. Take that for what it is worth.

People lose retirements all the time and the union is no different. There's serious pressure in government right now by special interest groups backed by corporations to put an end to these high wages. I'm not saying it's going to happen but rather it is already happening. Well, if you think about it, other industries make less and those of us in construction make double if not triple what others make....yeah, those days are coming to an end.

Hmmm, so what advice would I give? Well, I'm not sure but I can tell you this.........

The one constant in this country is real estate. Home ownership is declining and renting is the dream. You want to own a piece of that.

My uncle is 49 and retired. He is/was a carpenter. He built his own duplex, than another, than another. Currently he owns about 13 I think? So that's 26 rentals paying him about $1,200 a month each? One thing about the building trades is you develop a network of people who know how to make this happen. My uncle can hardly write and he needs my help to do most math yet he is quite well off and doesn't have to depend on anybody for his retirement. He finally retired because the wages to be a carpenter have stagnated. So he said "screw it".

The key is to remain debt free and invest your money, real estate rentals are a good place for that. Just don't get to cozy with these union jobs because that era is coming to an end very rapidly.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have been to the website. They don't have anything there, specifically. But they do have a contact number.
    http://www.ironworkers.org/become-an-ironworker

I'd start here,...............

Get Adobe Flash player

Just remember, there's a lot of the other side that union members don't tell you about because they're busy preaching about the money.

-it will take a toll on your family and relationships
    -money isn't consistent with layoffs and shit
    -you'll be spending lots of time away from home usually (some people like this)
    -and honestly, there are a lot of jerk offs and assholes to deal with

It all comes down to the idea of it being a lifestyle. If the lifestyle suits you, it's great.

But there are lots of other ways to make the same living that don't involve all the BS and riff raff that are more stable and less hassle.

Sell some cardigans. You'll be a millionaire.

Get Adobe Flash player

FWIW, I'd run with your mag idea.

Working for other people sucks.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by IronHead73 View Post
    FWIW, I'd run with your mag idea.

Working for other people sucks.
    ^^^^X100 be your own boss, it may take a while, but you already know the trade and I you're covering your passion, it can't help but be good.

Keep doing what you're doing, network toward YOUR goals, and know it's only temporary.
    Last edited by turbonate; 09-19-2015 at 11:48 AM.

I have a lot of friends who are volunteer firefighters, EMT's, etc., etc., and are really really passionate about what they do. I'm just not. Plus, while I don't group them together, I don't like how a lot of my firefighter friends are also cops' friends. I try and keep as much distance between myself and LE as possible.

Also, I'm really stoked this is turning into another resource for people looking for work or possible career changes. *high five* guys.
    I've been a full-time fireman for a decade and in my experiences the opposite is true. Most of the guys I work with hate cops. We look forward to competitive hockey games where some of those frustrations can come out.

Get Adobe Flash player

The work I've been doing over the last few months with a couple magazines is slowing down a bit, but I really want to keep my freelance momentum going. I posted "service" adverts on craigslist in LA, Philly, and San Fran.

If you or anyone you know wants their website to not suck, holler.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/wet/5237571690.html

Get Adobe Flash player

The work I've been doing over the last few months with a couple magazines is slowing down a bit, but I really want to keep my freelance momentum going. I posted "service" adverts on craigslist in LA, Philly, and San Fran.

If you or anyone you know wants their website to not suck, holler.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/wet/5237571690.html
    nice ad.

Get Adobe Flash player

thanks. there's a fine line between confident competence and cocky douchebag'ry, and I like to think I walk it well.

Share This