CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Sportsman Flyer Bonneville Racer

Hi Guys,
    Signed up on this cool forum some time ago but really haven't contributed. Just check out the builds from time to time. Not sure if people would be interested in my vintage style builds. Here is a recent bike I built to run the salt flats. We have been rained out two years in a row and it's a real bummer. This build is styled after a vintage board track racer. Forks are an internal spring design based on an old Harley. The frame is similar to a Keystone design with removable frame section to carry different engines. All the raw metal is stainless with no filler material anywhere. Bike is a single speed with my own reduction drive design and uses a centrifugal clutch. Engine is a Honda GX200 which is an industrial engine the go kart guys are hotrodding. Not an easy deal mounting in a bike but once in there it works well. This engine is a single cylinder push rod four stroke and is good for mid 80 mph. Has a fat cam, stroked to 236cc, billet rod and flywheel, ported head. The whole bike weighs about 150 lbs. Tires are 80/90-21's. Almost every inch of this bike is built from scratch except the hubs and rims.

Personal Bikes by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

Super Duty Forks by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

Keystone Flyer by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

DAMN! thats some pretty work right there!

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

how can you not like that!

Get Adobe Flash player

Well done. Very clean work. Could you post up a pic or two of the right side?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Oranje View Post
    Well done. Very clean work. Could you post up a pic or two of the right side?
    Yeah, real nice.
    How much does the rider weigh?

Right side of bike, number plates removed for street testing. I weigh 185-190. Not sure with all my riding gear. SCTA requires full leathers, all associated riding gear, so it adds up.

Fork design was a challenge. Not like there are explanations out there how they work. Mostly about finding pictures and understanding how you think they should work. Reverse engineering, right? Here is how they looked before paint. I made the bridge sections between the fork legs from laser cut plate and then tig welded to the lugs. lugs were then brazed old school style to the legs. I tried to replicate original construction practices as best I could. The front section is a friction shock absorber. There are leather friction washers. Tighten the bolt to increase damping.

Super Duty Fork by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

Gas tank is laser cut stainless with internal baffles to hold shape while welding.

Sportsman Gas tanks by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

Finished tank. Tanks in this shape are a huge challenge to build. All corner welds ground flush, tank is then sanded and given a scotch brite finish.

Sportsman Gas Tanks by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

Engine with removable cradle assembly. The whole assembly drops straight out the bottom of the frame.

Get Adobe Flash player

thats badass work man. I really like that springer!

Share This