CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Build ran great a few days ago.. now it dies when I give it gas/start it (sportster)

Just finished my 2000 sporty 1200 build. Took it on a few rides of anywhere from 45 mins to 2hrs last week and it ran strong. Hopped on her tonight and couldn't make it more than 3 blocks from my house. Since the build I rewired just about everything. The one thing that isn't connected is the cam positioning sensor... The plug it went into didn't do anything so I unplugged it. Batt is good, i have a push start on the solenoid and the motor turns, but i have to let it sit for a bit to have it start. It will idle okay but as soon as i give it gas it dies.

I went from a pretty crappy paper filter mod to a K&N, replaced the spark plugs and other than that cut and welded shut the connecting tubes in the stock 2000-2003 exhaust... just won't go anywhere now. Seems odd because I was out for 3 or so hours the other day without an issue... any suggestions?

Get Adobe Flash player

I thought the cam position sensor told the ignition system when to spark, am I wrong on this?

Get Adobe Flash player

You need to plug the cam position sensor in. Without, the ignition doesn't know when to properly fire. I bet you are running rich on your plugs too.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Thanks for the input! No clue what it was though. Maybe a kinked fuel line..

So after a long ass night its running fine... really not sure what it was but I pulled the carbs and cleaned them, even though I had done so a week before. I checked for huge air leaks from my backyard air filter mod, CV boot was fine, intake was good. Then I checked connections, I did have my fuel hose at a somewhat bendy angle... rerouted that. Made sure my Cam Sensor wasn't missing (It has always been plugged in but the wires are clipped and the bolt is gone) so that was fine.... So after messing with all that its back to full health! Here she is

IMG_2615

Get Adobe Flash player

Can you take a pic of the cam positioning sensor you're talking about?

My sporty has the ignition control module sensor in the nose cone and ignition module under the seat. the sensor reads the round timing plate (or whatever it's called) that's attached to the end of one of the cams and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't run if this wasn't hooked up. I'm curious what the set up is like on other years. I know some have the ignition module in the nose cone but it's beyond me how it could run at all without a cam position sensor hooked up?
    Last edited by jonnyoz; 09-17-2015 at 3:46 PM.

Share This