CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default A little help with sportster oil lines please

So I'm garage building my first sportster chop, a 2001 1200 xl and needing some guidance... I plan on mounting a little of 3 quart bobber style oil tank to the frame, and I have my lines marked off… Feedline, return line, vent line… My question is this. I am just going to get rid of the drain hose altogether, and drain my new tank whatever way I see fit… But when I get under the bike, the drain hose is connected to a T-shaped fitting, and one of the hoses leads off under the bike and connects right under the housing where the oil pump is located, I'm assuming maybe to the pump itself... I'm worried about what the hell to do with this line once I disconnect the drain hose completely. Is it just a vent line? Do I cap it off or disconnect it completely? Or what do I connect it to? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Take the hose that has the T and follow it up to your motor. Pull it off. Now run a longer hose from the motor back to your new oil tank. Your new tank should have 4 threaded bungs. Hook up your Feed, return, vent similar to factory. I have two on the chain side of the motor, then the new unspliced long hose ran to the other side. The 4th bung is just a simple plug to drain it. That T was to drain the oil. Toss it, and the hoses attatched and run a new hose from tank to motor.

So am I understanding you right, the 'new' hose that I run from the pump to the tank after ditching the T (and the other bullshit attached to the T) is used simply to pop off the tank and drain? It's essentially the new drain hose?

Get Adobe Flash player

No. It's the oil feed line. Can replace from pump to tank with solid line(has crimp ring on oil pump side,replace with hose clamps) or use a strait barbed "splice" fitting in T's place. Can drain oil that way but most tanks have separate drain plugs...

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by KG View Post
    No. It's the oil feed line. Can replace from pump to tank with solid line(has crimp ring on oil pump side,replace with hose clamps) or use a strait barbed "splice" fitting in T's place. Can drain oil that way but most tanks have separate drain plugs...
    This. If you have 4 bungs on your tank, I'd use a new solid line. I don't care for splices personally. Usually the barb is more expensive than the 3 ft sections of fuel hose too.

Share This