CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default going to look at 79 t140

hey, im going to look at and possibly buy a 79 T140. i know zip about triumphs.
    what do i need to look for and listen for?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 00R0R_awjUZB71Q57_600x450.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

I'd bring a compression gauge. Old Britbikes are commonly tired and they were not durable by modern standards in the first place. They are easy to RE-build which is different. Lucas electrical problems are usually best solved by total replacement but see what's already been swapped out.

Check cold compression in both cylinders, inspect spark plugs, then fire it up (assuming it runs) and note any misbehavior such as smoking and if any what color and if on one or both cylinders. The carbs are replacement Mikunis. Sudco have tuning guides and have sold Mikuni kits for decades.

http://www.sudco.com/Carburetor01.html

Hit some Triumph forums. There is a lot to learn. Oil in frame Triumphs sell for less than the duplex models. If that were near me in SC and ran well it would be in the mid to high teens.

Get Adobe Flash player

2800 he has on it but im talking him into doing some swapping.
    title in his name. it supposedly ran before they made a cafe out of it. they butchered the wiring for the tail piece i guess.
    he has a cell phone vid of it running and riding i guess before they tore it down. wiring was all roached so they stripped it all out

he is supposed to be wiring up coils so i can hear it run and ride it around a little.

Get Adobe Flash player

Check out the vin numbers to see if they match. One on the frame by the neck and one at the base of the cylinder barrels. The vin # consists 2 alpha characters and 5 numbers. The 1st and 2nd alpha characters are for the month and year of production. If you do a search on Triumph serial numbers you will find a website that lists the characters and corresponding month and year of production. Make sure the serial numbers in the two locations match each other and correspond to the year the seller is claiming.

This info came from the trumprat site: http://www.triumphrat.net/classic-vi...n-numbers.html

In 1969 Triumph changed to a new lettering system as follows
    First prefix letter indicates month of manufacture
    Second prefix letter indicates model year
    Suffix letter indicates model version
    source: The Classic MotorCycle - 1997

C 1969
    D 1970
    E 1971
    G 1972
    H 1973
    J 1974
    K 1975
    N 1976
    P 1977
    A 1979
    B 1980
    KDA 1981
    EDA 1982
    BEA 1983
    MONTH YEAR SERIAL # VERSION
    X A 123456 E
    Meriden Bonneville
    SERIAL NUMBERS
    T120 650cc
    1958 - 1972
    T140 750cc 1973 - 1983

Get Adobe Flash player

that is very helpful! exactly what i was looking for. ill let you guys know whats up

yu mite want to bring a multimeter and see if it is charging the batt. if it is, hey gawd i got a good one! ifits not then use that as a negotioting tool.

brit bike often refuse to charge, they run on a hot batt but often dont charge the batt. that shit get spensive.

2lanehighways

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring%20diagram%20rask%202%20positive.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	64005you may need this ,,,t 140,s are good bikes if it hasent been trashed out and, boyer bradsen can be a help if you want a stocker with out battery listen to primary side cover if it will run will tell you if chain is loose and take your time on this they are finiky but once dialed in will do you good my77 went 700 miles to coast and back no big deal ,if the carbs flood look for the float holding fuel ,,,also the thing is learn what the bike needs don't go chopping till the mill is right.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75703.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	237.7 KB 
ID:	64007

I love my T140. I want to get another. The Mk2 Amals can be a little finicky, but if they're clean and the slides aren't worn you can get them pretty dialed without too much trouble. I've heard of some people have had isssues with the frame cracking underneath at the bottom of the oil reservoir part of the frame but I don't think it's all that common. The December 78 issue of Cycle Guide called the newest T140 "the best 750 Bonneville yet."

Share This