CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Antigravity Batteries???

Looking for lightweight smaller battery for my 1100 sportster to fit in a 61 horseshoe bag. Electric start, headlight and After Hours tail. Ive always ran sealed mower type batteries from Kragens. I read a couple threads through the search but am looking for current, relevant information.

1. 12v. vs. 16v.

The 16v has 480ca over the 12v 360ca and its only an inch taller. They both will fit the bag $70 more. Will the extra cranking amps really make a difference or is it just more peace of mind? or overkill?

2. I've heard of a few catching on a fire? Whats the deal?
    Did they replace them and how long of a turn around?

What are you guys running and hows that working out for you?

Get Adobe Flash player

Have been running the biggest 12 V they have all season in a twin cam 96 with no issues

Get Adobe Flash player

I've been running the 12 cell mini size one on my 1250cc Evo sportster for a couple years. The one bad thing I've run into, is if you're leaving your bike in cold it's a piece of shit. Every winter (in Connecticut) I fought to keep it charged and working. But as soon as it's over 50, it works like a dream. Never had it catch fire, or even get hot. Overall I give it an 8/10. Would fuck.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by dirtygrotonscoundrel View Post
    I've been running the 12 cell mini size one on my 1250cc Evo sportster for a couple years. The one bad thing I've run into, is if you're leaving your bike in cold it's a piece of shit. Every winter (in Connecticut) I fought to keep it charged and working. But as soon as it's over 50, it works like a dream. Never had it catch fire, or even get hot. Overall I give it an 8/10. Would fuck.
    I'm also running a 12 cell (Ballistic Performance Evo2) on my 1250 sportster. Mine is sluggish when cold (like michigan winter cold), cranks real slow for a few times, but after pressing the starter a few times and cranking slow, it usually speeds up. I haven't put mine on a charger since I got it 2 years ago, and haven't had it not start eventually. Never had any issues in "normal" riding temperatures.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by hillakilla View Post
    I'm also running a 12 cell (Ballistic Performance Evo2) on my 1250 sportster. Mine is sluggish when cold (like michigan winter cold), cranks real slow for a few times, but after pressing the starter a few times and cranking slow, it usually speeds up. I haven't put mine on a charger since I got it 2 years ago, and haven't had it not start eventually. Never had any issues in "normal" riding temperatures.
    sort of the same experience here, tho Oregon winters aren't insanely frigid.

i've found that if you turn the bike on, toggle the headlight from Hi to Lo a couple times, then turn the switch off, then on again to fire up it helps a bit with the cold weather starts (with an antigravity batt)

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Braaap View Post
    sort of the same experience here, tho Oregon winters aren't insanely frigid.

i've found that if you turn the bike on, toggle the headlight from Hi to Lo a couple times, then turn the switch off, then on again to fire up it helps a bit with the cold weather starts (with an antigravity batt)
    Yeah, i've read that putting a load on it increases the power (or amps or energy or whatever, electricity is definitely not one of my strengths). I haven't found any specific routine that works, but if i mess with the ignition and starter, then let it sit for a minute or so, it seems to work.

Get Adobe Flash player

Get Adobe Flash player

anyone with a big twin run this?

Get Adobe Flash player

I was running a 12 cell Shorai on my '98 Softtail and run the same on my Shovel w/o any problems. Never connected a charger over the winter but just unplugged them. Started up in spring just fine.

Get Adobe Flash player

30 degrees is not a cold start in Michigan, that's balmy. I like to stick with lead-acid because they can be discharged fully (if I'm a dummy and leave my ignition on by accident). But since you want small I'd go with the higher CCA value whenever possible if it's electric start. Higher CCA's result in higher crank speeds, less strain on the starter armature and solenoid contacts. If your battery gets too low, the contacts lock up and fry the battery cell.

I have no experience with the anti gravity batteries and will likely just run a mag for kick only, but they're a good option for kick/points, and it seems to me that they are intended for kick-only applications. Can LiPo batteries be discharged fully? My drill batterys are fine on full discharge--but the instructions say to avoid it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Put the big 12v in my injected sporty, never been happier with a battery. Starts QUICK! BOOM! Way smaller too. One thing i would say is, yes keep it inside over the winter. Antigrav recommends that. Also they can explode of you ....throw them off a building or something, but thats the same for any lithium ion battery. Grab some. Brass M6 screws for the terminals. Using similar metals helps prevent corrosion.

Get Adobe Flash player

JUst read on the shovelhead forum that there has been counterfeit Antigravity batteries sold on Amazon.

A battery that requires pampering or tricks to start in any weather isnt even a consideration for use in my book. Use what works in almost any temp or condition and takes the minimum amount of upkeep.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have been totally impressed with the Antigravity series of batteries.

Unless something changes my mind, I am sticking to the AG lineup.

The trick is to make sure you have enough battery. The "bigger" the battery for any given instance (all things being equal) the more forgiving the system is. Example- If you could "get away" with a 4 cell unit, then run a 8 cell etc.
    Last edited by hannibalsmith1; 09-02-2015 at 4:58 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default It's amazing how this works.

I'm thinking about an AG for my sporty. Was ready to post a question and then stopped and did a search. Bam landed here , got the info I need and now if I can find $250.00 bucks I'll get a battery.
    Thanks Guys
    MRB

Share This