CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
    numberonewing

Default whats best way to hook up a foot clutch with a dog chain for the linkage on the clu

yeh im good on the pedal end but clutch release are i need a way to connect the chain

What bike are you putting it on and does the cable hook inside the housing? If so cut the cable a couple inches outside the housing run it through the last link and fold over and use a cable clamp

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

the best way to hook up a foot clutch with a dog chain to the linkage on the clu would be to drill and tap the end of the linkage for to take a bolt through the chain link on the end of the chain
    Or you could open a link then crimp it down where the cable would usually go.
    Or weld it, zip-tie, it bailing wire it even. Gotta be a hundred ways to skin that cat.
    Might want a light spring in the mix so the clutch pedal won't end up doubling over backwards...

numberonewing

sky im hooking to a rachet top panhead style clutch release arm normally u have a solid rod that slips in the clutch release arm right above the clutch hub

Get Adobe Flash player

make your own clutch release arm with the end drilled and tapped for a 5/16 thread and run a rod with a heim joint on each end
    that's the best way to do it for safety reasons and functioning reasons.
    The chain is one of the most awful looking shitty things Ive ever seen, I can understand it as a temporary fix but never understood why someone would actually opt to use that setup on something you want to be reliable.

If you absolutely must do it though I would probably take the end of the chain that goes around the clutch release arm and crimp it down tight around the end. From there I would weld that joint together nicely so theres no chance of it snapping or coming loose.
    On the clutch pedal side I would probably do about the same except use a stud to weld to the chain so I can remove it off the pedal when needed.

numberonewing

hi sydicate thnks 4 advice i like drill n tap end of arm man the chains a very proven method used on chopper 4 yrs you can make the clutch pedal set back alot n make ez to ride it thnks i got a rod just after the look n feel Click image for larger version. 

Name:	044.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	321.0 KB 
ID:	63035 heres bike ol scool 4 sale too ask the wing for a deal

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by SyndicateChoppers View Post
    make your own clutch release arm with the end drilled and tapped for a 5/16 thread and run a rod with a heim joint on each end
    that's the best way to do it for safety reasons and functioning reasons.
    The chain is one of the most awful looking shitty things Ive ever seen, I can understand it as a temporary fix but never understood why someone would actually opt to use that setup on something you want to be reliable.

If you absolutely must do it though I would probably take the end of the chain that goes around the clutch release arm and crimp it down tight around the end. From there I would weld that joint together nicely so theres no chance of it snapping or coming loose.
    On the clutch pedal side I would probably do about the same except use a stud to weld to the chain so I can remove it off the pedal when needed.
    Totally Man. Mickey mouse setup at best IMO. I would run a cable over a chain set up, but a solid steel rod with flexible joints

would be My 1st choice. Less flex/deflection, easily secured with a fastener, looks better (cleaner), And I would think, Less likely to

hang up in an open primary If it comes loose, compare to a loose chain.

numberonewing

good point a chain will v be a mess if i came loose thnks it a regular suiside clutch set up i got a rod just like ol chain look thnks

Get Adobe Flash player

You can probably find some stainless steel chain which wouldn't corrode like plated dog chain.

numberonewing

i just stole my dobermans chain he hated anyway

If you need a dog chain on your bike its time for a better looking girlfriend

Get Adobe Flash player

sorry for the bad photo but hopefully you can see how i have mine set up. stock clutch release arm with an eye bolt through it. then attach chain to eye bolt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	277.7 KB 
ID:	65084

Get Adobe Flash player

Really, get some wire

Weld up a section of chain straight and use that for the linkage. Look of a chain, function of a rod. Hang it by two points, let it sag on the middle and weld it like that, it'll even look like it's hanging when mounted.

Get Adobe Flash player

I run a chain, works great. I use a piece of industrial swag chain with a small master link to the pedal, small eye bolt through original clutch lever where the rod would attach. Also need to make a small stop so your pedal doesn't flop backwards. When done right it's a trouble free set up that looks killer. Do let these guys talk u out of it if it's what you want. I'll try to tak some pictures tomorrow .

Get Adobe Flash player

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	250.3 KB 
ID:	65147

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	263.0 KB 
ID:	65148

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by justinhallenbeck View Post
    sorry for the bad photo but hopefully you can see how i have mine set up. stock clutch release arm with an eye bolt through it. then attach chain to eye bolt.

Name:	bike.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	277.7 KB 
ID:	65084
    I second that. same thing on my bike. i saw 3gknuck do it.

numberonewing

thnks 4 great ideas n pics those bikes are killer

Share This