CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 5 of 5 First ... 345

Nice work so far!

Anxious to see how a suicide shift on a Virago. I was tempted to make a suicide shift "add-on" just for fun, while can still use the stock shift/clutch pedals, but then I put the idea aside.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by s14kings View Post
    Nice work so far!

Anxious to see how a suicide shift on a Virago. I was tempted to make a suicide shift "add-on" just for fun, while can still use the stock shift/clutch pedals, but then I put the idea aside.
    Thanks! I know I know, who suicide clutches a Virago lol…. Nothing is permanent yet and I am sure after riding it I will probably switch back. But I couldn't not try it seeing as I am a fan of old school biker stuff and thats part of the culture. I've seen the dual set ups like you mentioned but I am not a fan. I think it's either a do it or don't thing. Who knows maybe this will work out and I'll build a cool Virago with suicide clutch and hand shifter and start a new trend . . . . HA!

Get Adobe Flash player

Start of some updates!

So this thread has been quiet for about a month now because I have been diagnosing a charging issue I had. I started another thread to do this and have been on there instead . . . ANYWAY . . . Like I said the bike wasn't charging so I had to go through all the connections, wires, and components and check/test them... Eventually this happened...

"One of my instagram followers saw my post about the stator and happened to have the same bike. Ran the same tests I posted and compared numbers. My stator is a little lower than his but not much. Also happens to have an extra parts bike with a good Reg/Rec which I now think is the issue. Now that would all be pretty rad as is . . . BUT even more rad is he happens to be a guy who won a free sample of the beard care products I make around xmas. Then asked me if I would trade a few different scents in the beard oil and beard balm in exchange for the Reg.Rec . . . . so as of checking the mail next week sometime hopefully my issue is solved!
    The internet is a funny place man!

Quick update!
    I replaced the Reg/Rec with the one the guy sent me. Re connected everything and fired it up. Output from the stator is still a little low so the end result is also a little low...BUT it's charging now! After idling, revving etc the battery tested .20v DC less than a fully charged battery...After sitting over night it was back up those .20v
    SO I started tearing apart the ass end, removed lights etc and am currently deciding how much frame to chop before fabbing up some sort of fender situation and sissy bar. I also made some temporary hard tail struts out of some 1/2 x 1 1/2 flat steel the millwright at work gave me. Gonna test ride and see if I like it before committing to a frame chop/weld hard tail
    Stay Tuned.
    "

So thats pretty rad! I have made a few other changes as well. I blacked out the left and right side engine covers. Put the regular shifter and clutch lever back on so I can tae a road test without being hassled lol. I chopped the rear "loop" off the frame, and made some the struts as mentioned above. I also made a shitty ass seat bracket to mount the solo seat pan I made out of an old sign from work.
    Next up is decide on a fender placement, fab up a sissy bar (should I go low or high???), and then figure out what and where to put the brake light, signs etc....then other than the "paint scheme" I have in mind and maybe some white walls & either black or red rims, its ready to ride for now. Will need to tune the carb properly now that I can keep a charge long enough to test ride lol....

Heres some photos from the process . . .

Cardboard template for the seat pan . . .

The covers . . .

Testing the seat pan fitment...

Looking for fender advice . . .

That happened . . .

But I really like the new look...
    This last shot isn't mine, but I like the look of the rusted tins . . . so it gave me an idea that I am going to try . . . going to tape off and rust each part in multiple stages to try and get multiple "shades" of rust . . . no clue if it will work. If not a quick sand and then primer and real paint lol

The chain in the pics for the sissy bar is damn heavy so I am using a smaller size for the final product. Using as much old work stuff and repurposed material as I can on the build and when it's all done the bike will be called "Overtime" I think.

Stay Tuned! And thanks for checking out my build.

Get Adobe Flash player

OK! So since the last update I did a couple things. First I chopped a little more off the cuts I made to make a bit more room for seat clearance. Welded tabs in place to close up the cuts. Re-mounted the TCI box under the seat area. Painted the temporary struts black so they don't look as bad lol. White walled the tires on the cheap with a can of Plastidip. and made a rusting solution to rust out the tins after trying a paint idea I didn't like. Yea yea I know "fake patina is lame" . . . but fuck its a Virago boys lol..And in all honesty it kinda takes on that old school root beer brown paint look which I like..... I also welded up the sissy bar, re mounted the signal lights and license plate and converted a trailer brake light I had to be a running light as well as brake light. Next up is some more black paint over some shiny shit and I am working on stitching together the cut up work boot to make the leather for the seat Couple quick pics and then back to work....sorry I haven't taken a lot of in progress shots on the build. Just kinda start working and next thing ya know you're updating the forum 2 weeks later lol

Video Link
    http://vid1370.photobucket.com/album...psqx9kvoj5.mp4
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0568.jpg  
    Last edited by JuanCarlito; 06-03-2016 at 1:05 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Just a quick update showing the bike in the day time and the almost finished seat. Thanks for looking!

And a video cause why not . . .
    https://youtu.be/n8N_BcFENlM

Get Adobe Flash player

Still a few things to do but she's coming along. Took a brief ride tonight to check the tuning and response etc...Might be a little lean overall as the plugs read lighter than I like, just getting some tan but barely. Also discovered that the right side spark plug port is stripped so that plug is in there until I have time to further address and fix the issue (any tips??).
    All in all though, riding a bike with no rare suspension is pretty gnarly. Definitely feel more aware of whats happening beneath me as I go lol. We'll see how longer and longer rides play out. I know I am less likely to zone out and day dream thats for sure!
    Thanks for checking out the post!

Get Adobe Flash player

Not much has changed. Been working on a damn charging issue still. BUT I think I finally figured it out!! It was a dual problem issue...the easy fix was I replaced a "bad rectifier" with one I was told to be good.. The replacement turns out to maybe be faulty...but the original "bad" one is fine
    The major issue . . . the PO apparently installed (or had someone do it) the stator wrong. Had the shim on top of it so it was not being pushed into the rotor enough. Of course me never working on bikes I overlooked that when I had the side cover off the first time lol.
    Test ride will confirm but I think she's charging now....at least according to the multimeter and testing in the shop.

To fix your spark plug thru make a back tap to clean the threads. It collapses down And goes into the hole then you turn a collet And it opens up. Then cute from the bottom up. To keep metal from falling into the cylinder. I've also been told that small aluminum shaving will "burn up" in the chamber. Not sure if buy that though.

You are not charging the battery with that voltage reading. Even at idle you should easily get over 13 volts. At 3K you should push or exceed 14. A charged battery with no help will read 12.4-12.6....Viragos, BTW, are badass cool.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by wymple View Post
    You are not charging the battery with that voltage reading. Even at idle you should easily get over 13 volts. At 3K you should push or exceed 14. A charged battery with no help will read 12.4-12.6....Viragos, BTW, are badass cool.
    Charging issue is fixed I believe. Put the stator in the right way and replaced the reg/rec with the one I thought was broken and now the charging system works much better! Cant remember off the top of my head but Idle is somewhere around 13 and at rpm is between 13.7 and 13.9 which I am happy with as I read somewhere that anything over 14 could also be too much for an older battery.

Thanks for checking out the tread and commenting

Get Adobe Flash player

So its been a month since I posted last and all is well. I made a few minor changes like bending the seat pan so it had less curve and adding more padding lol. I did remove the rear suspension after all. I also tried the foot clutch briefly then removed it as I didn't like how it rode with the way I set it up. So for now the whiskey filled skull shifter I had has become a brake light ornament. I also added a little K&N filter to the crank case breather and then some paint to the fork lowers, mirrors and a few of the chrome bits. Its a combination of flat black and a "hammered brass" spray paint on top of a couple coats of primer. I actually like the look enough I am thinking of ditching the rusted tins and painting them to match now. The bike all ready has the 30 year old gold rims so the hammered brass paint works well in my opinion. If I do it I will accent things in brass/copper/golds etc like the foot pegs etc.
    And apparently my phone/computer is acting up and it won't let me load the photos . . . so ummmm ... yea. Heres a post with no pics for now If you really wanted t see it go to Instagram and look for 'Bearded_Bobber" and you'll find it.
    Ciao For Now.

Get Adobe Flash player

Been a minute

So winter is coming to a close here. Weather is warming up and bike season is about to begin, so I figured I'd start posting again. I have a few plans to change the bike this year including paint, moving the forward controls about 3 inches forward, new exhaust or modding the current set up, possibly new lights, a set of risers and/or new bars, a different seat and running a Gen1 KJS single carb manifold.
    And thats the first new post, anyone ever use one of the gen1 pjs manifolds? Any install tips etc? I figure the bike ran well enough with my makeshift single carb set up that this one should be an improvement no matter what lol.
    Regardless this year I will be trying to add more content on here including posts from my rides etc as I plan on doing a lot more riding this year.
    Anyway, I'll keep you all updated as I go and look forward to reconnecting with some of you.
    Last edited by JuanCarlito; 03-22-2017 at 4:12 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

The weekend project update

So I managed to get out to the shop a few times this weekend and got the Gen1 KJS manifold installed. Also took the baffles out of the exhaust. To keep things simple I just recorded some stuff and made a couple quick YouTube videos. So heres the links for those

First Start up of the year vs first start up with KJS manifold
    https://youtu.be/pJerX_1BB5k

Stock pipes at idle and rev VS Straight pipes at idle and rev
    https://youtu.be/h95Zs3mxX8Y

Get Adobe Flash player

Well . . . It looks like this will be one of my last posts if not the last one on this thread. I am driving my bike about 5 hours away this Sunday and selling it off. Same place I am going to be buying a 2003 Roadstar 1600 (Anniversary edition) so I will probably start a new thread for that build. I'll post a couple shots of the bike as is now so you can see what I ended with. I did put the stock suspension on for the sale but up until last week had the hard tail struts installed still. Riding the bike with full suspension feels so different lol!
    Anyway, until the next thread starts . . *ride safe everyone!

Share This