CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Westboundbiker View Post
    Jeebus, those look like some wide set controls. Maybe it's just the perspective in the pictures, but it looks like you'll be sitting with your legs wide open! Not to mention, if they're really far out there, they might drag in corners really easy.
    They do currently sit wide,although pic angle makes it look worse, About 1.5" wider than stock per side. These are version 1 though and will still get narrowed. Plus I have an idea for a new set that will better fit the planned style in the end.

Get Adobe Flash player

yo Juan I have a crispy throttle cable here with me

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ScottArcher View Post
    yo Juan I have a crispy throttle cable here with me
    Just thinking, is it stock length? I think I will need a longer one if I go with the mini apes?

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey, so I kind of skimmed through the posts but I assume you still have the PVC manifold. I'm running a single carb manifold with a BST40 carb on my bike. I recommend building or buying a metal manifold. Main reason being the metal is going to insulate heat from the heads better. This helps keep your fuel atomized which is important since with a single carb manifold on these bikes one cylinder is further away from the carb. SeaRayGuy makes good manifolds that he posts on ebay with a ton of information in the description. Here's an auction for one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/virago-manif...2e29ce&vxp=mtr

I have an 1100 virago but let me know if you have any questions on the bike. I also have a chopped wiring diagram I made that might help if you want to make one for the 700.

the searay guy intakes do work pretty well and last time i had one they were cheap, be prepared for welds that look like complete ass though if you do get one. Its cool that the guy makes them but he really hasnt taken the time to refine the process and learn some pipe fitting skills.

Get Adobe Flash player

Lol yeah the welds on it look like bird shit. I've never had any air leaks though. Also if you have a single carb off the right side your engine you should have like an extra foot on your throttle cable. Buy the bars first and see how much you need though.

Get Adobe Flash player

New manifold should be completed tonight….woulda been last night but one measurement may or may not have been short . . . I think the saw did it though lol

Get Adobe Flash player

Looking good! Not sure why the KJS system was bashed but i have one on my 85 xv700 and my buddy has one on his as well, they work great and he tunes them specifically for your altitude and weather patterns. And the quality is top notch! My xs i bought a joewiseguy single carb and it looks like hell, poor construction but functions nicely. Also have a pvc single carb on my kz400. Works alright. But it only ever went down the block. Cant wait to see the finished forwards!

Get Adobe Flash player

KJS are really nice, they're just ridiculously expensive. They're like 1/2 the price of buying a nice Virago.

Get Adobe Flash player

KJS are really nice, they're just ridiculously expensive. They're like 1/2 the price of buying a nice Virago.
    Bought my virago for 500 so even another 800 wasnt a bad deal to never bother with getting the carbs out again.
    Say what throttle housings is everyone using. I ditched the ugly stock controls and got nice ones but need an equally as nice throttle thats seperate from the controls

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TheTomCat View Post
    Bought my virago for 500 so even another 800 wasnt a bad deal to never bother with getting the carbs out again.
    Say what throttle housings is everyone using. I ditched the ugly stock controls and got nice ones but need an equally as nice throttle thats seperate from the controls
    This is exactly why gear heads bash on the kjs stuff. 800 is more than the cost of a nice 80's xv. If you have the coin or lack the skill its an option but its kind of a more money than brains kind of thing. Even the searayguy intakes on ebay are outright insane now.

Cant say i blame the guys though, the midlife crisis "i want a harley but cant afford it" market is huge and very exploitable.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by deathmetaldan View Post
    This is exactly why gear heads bash on the kjs stuff. 800 is more than the cost of a nice 80's xv. If you have the coin or lack the skill its an option but its kind of a more money than brains kind of thing. Even the searayguy intakes on ebay are outright insane now.

Cant say i blame the guys though, the midlife crisis "i want a harley but cant afford it" market is huge and very exploitable.
    Thats funny. I have two harleys so i dont see your point. Its clean and its nice.

Get Adobe Flash player

then i would say its the "more money than sense" category for you.

Get Adobe Flash player

Update . . .
    First off I have to say, I live in the middle of nowhere basically and have pretty limited choice when it comes to internet,and when the data limit is exceeded the speed basically goes to early 90's dial up . . . like now . . . so I won't be uploading the pics and videos just yet lol....

Anyway . . . I worked some more on a single carb manifold, this time out of metal tubing. I ended up getting better results than the pvc and actually got the bike to a point where I could pull both spark plugs separately and she still ran. When I pulled the rear the front still ran strong. When I pulled the front the rear chugged along but sounded slow and sluggish like is was just barely above dyeing . . .. but progress is progress lol. AT this point I went over my work and found some pin hole leaks in my welds (yes I am new at that too lol) So after repairing those with new welds I tried it again and got a bit better results . . . So I started thinking perhaps the problem is overlooked vacuum leaks with my welding skills etc. So I reassembled the stock carbs as a pair and reinstalled and then test fired . . . and apart from some unburnt gas coming out the exhaust at first (rear cylinder carb needs adjusting) I got the same results as before where I could pull both plugs etc....except this time it was reversed, when I pulled the front the rear ran strong, and when I pulled the rear the front stumbled and ran but not well.
    So my guess is the issue is a vacuum leak since I did notice the stock carb boots have pretty flattened gaskets and are over all in rough shape. I will say considering I get the same results with one or two carbs I am sticking with the single carb set up as the dual is a PAIN IN THE ASS to install and remove lol. I will try go over my welds further and see if anything else comes up. Also try and repair the rubber boots as best I can....Anyone have any suggestions? Some sort of rubber cement or liquid gasket etc? Should be able to repair any cracks enough to see if it makes a difference and then maybe buy new ones.
    I do know that since the problem was able to move and I know both cylinders can fire and run well, I can move forward with the build and start doing other things that might be a little more interesting for those who checked the thread for actual build updates and not just chasing running issues lol.
    Will get pictures and video when the internet resumes normal operating speed this weekend!

Get Adobe Flash player

Run the bike and spray carb cleaner on your welds in different spots. If the rpms pick up you have an air leak there. I bet you'd be fine if you smothered some high-temp rtv gasket maker over the welds or something. I put a bead of that stuff on the mounting points of the manifold on my bike too.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yea id get some rtv black. See what it does. Definitely give it time to cure before reinstalling them though. And how are you testing your welds, you can buy liquid penetrant to show flaws. Goes from white to pink or visaversa, its been a while. But like Scott said, you can always use the old spray technique. If the boots are the same as an 85 700 i can try to find mine and aend thwm to you.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yea id get some rtv black. See what it does. Definitely give it time to cure before reinstalling them though. And how are you testing your welds, you can buy liquid penetrant to show flaws. Goes from white to pink or visaversa, its been a while. But like Scott said, you can always use the old spray technique. If the boots are the same as an 85 700 i can try to find mine and aend thwm to you.
    I'll definitely try the rtv black and see what happens. I was testing for leaks with compressed air. If air leaks out it needs repair As for the boots as far as I know the 85/86 700/750 are the same? What would you want for them? And same question for you Scott, what you want for that cable.

Get Adobe Flash player

as long as its a second gen 750 1000 and 1100 have alot of swappable parts

Get Adobe Flash player

If i find them today, ill just mail you them. Aint doing me any good laying around. I just got home off a 13hr day. Gona grab me a few cold ones and starting digging through parts boxes. 7 bikes makes for one hell of a fluster cluck

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by deathmetaldan View Post
    as long as its a second gen 750 1000 and 1100 have alot of swappable parts
    Yes its a gen 2

If i find them today, ill just mail you them. Aint doing me any good laying around. I just got home off a 13hr day. Gona grab me a few cold ones and starting digging through parts boxes. 7 bikes makes for one hell of a fluster cluck
    Thats awesome thanks man. PM if you find them man. I'll send you my mailing address

Get Adobe Flash player

Couldnt find them in my basement so that means theyre in my other atorage, ill give it a second look tomorrow, see if i cant find em. Ill let ya know. But on a plus note i found a bunch of parts i thought i had already thrown away. Thanks!

Share This