Shovelhead Electrical Problems. Im stumped. Any help is appreciated.

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IronheadMikeTyson
    • Mar 2024

Shovelhead Electrical Problems. Im stumped. Any help is appreciated.

Hey Guys,

I'm having trouble diagnosing an electrical problem that just creeped up on my shovelhead and was hoping for some insight. It started out that I blew a headlight. I replaced the headlight and it blew again. This time when I went to replace it, the plastic receptor piece in the light bucket was partially melted from too much heat. So 2 headlights down I'm thinking I got a regulator issue. Battery is putting out between 14 and 14.5 volts when running and so is the headlight so I don't think it's that. Also, I have not blown a tail light yet, it seems to be that only the headlight is the issue. So I try soldering in a new plastic receptor into the headlight thinking the last one that melted is too far damaged, maybe drawing too much heat. Ride it around the block, come back and both the headlight and tail light are pulsing, but still reading between 14 and 14.5 volts when running. I can't figure this shit out. Also, for the record, the one time the light blew I was sitting as a stop light, saw the light pulsing followed by a blue flash and it was out so I don't think its vibrations either. I really don't want to replace the regulator just to find out that wasn't it. Any insight gentlemen?

Bike is a '74 shovel in a hardtail frame. Kick only, electronic ignition. 12v battery. Running a headlight and tail light only, both are aftermarket. Bulbs have been 55 watt every time which is what i was running in there for years with no problem.
  • IronheadMikeTyson
    • Mar 2024

Also, I've checked all over for a short in the wire and no luck with that either

Comment

• Davestune
      • May 2014

check your ac volts

Comment

• shovelpan69
        • May 2012

Had a similar problem with my generator shovel. Ended up being the generator on mine. No melting of anything though, that part sounds like a short in the headlight. I would check the voltage coming out of your stator. Or if you have a new stator replace it and see if that helps..I checked everything on mine and the regulator was putting out the right volts then the generator was fine when I checked it so we thought it was the regulator shitting out under load but that ended up not being the problem anyway got home changed the generator and problem solved.
        Last edited by shovelpan69; 08-18-2015, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• Davestune
          • May 2014

Originally posted by shovelpan69
          Had a similar problem with my generator shovel. Ended up being the generator on mine. No melting of anything though, that part sounds like a short in the headlight. I would check the voltage coming out of your stator. Or if you have a new stator replace it and see if that helps..I checked everything on mine and the regulator was putting out the right volts then the generator was fine when I checked it so we thought it was the regulator shitting out under load but that ended up not being the problem anyway got home changed the generator and problem solved.
          that's what I think it is also
          id quote him the volts but I cant remember, should go up 16 volt or so with every 1000 rpms or something and a ohm test across the ac leads will also tell , should be under 1 ohm

Comment

• RichardS
            • Jun 2015

IronheadMikeTyson,
            Make sure that the Regulator/Rectifier is "grounded" underneath to Frame with a "star-washer"......and scrape paint off frame to Reg./Rec. to insure "star-washer" gets a good ground.
            Check for stator-grounds and "Ohms" readings per Manual........check Alternator AC output per Manual .........then with fully-charged Battery, check for Reg./Rec. output at Battery....should be between 13.8-15 volts at 3,600 RPM at 75-degrees.
            Last edited by RichardS; 08-19-2015, 6:00 PM. Reason: added information.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...