CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Advice - Buell Blast need 20" seat height.

My daughter is 17, but little @ 4'6." She wants to ride so we are going to build a bike for her together. I have a complete buell blast and an '89 sportster frame. I'm looking for ideas to achieve a 20" seat height without going rigid if possible. Even 1" of suspension would be preferable.

I'm relatively mechanically inclined. I have a tig welder, torch, basic tools. I appreciate any ideas you come up with.

Get Adobe Flash player

Very cool project! Get daughter involved every step of the way so she learns. The future needs more skilled women bikers.

Keep handing in mind because new riders don't need to sacrifice safety to look cool. Choppers are fun but most are functional downgrades from their parent motorcycles.

Smart way would be to strip the bodywork and have her straddle the Blast to determine the next step. New riders should be able to stand flat-footed comfortably, and you might pull that off by a seat change and lowering front and rear suspension, method determined by how low you need to go. Remember small people need LIGHT motorcycles!

Rigids look nice but are shit for comfort and an uncomfortable new rider may be distracted from keeping total attention on their surroundings.

End result should do better than the original in MSF rider course practice maneuvers including obstacle surmounting, and practice should cover all the bases because riding is not intuitive.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a blast my 6 '6" son outgrew. After reading your post I went out to my shop to look it over and think about how to do what you need for a low seat height. I think just fabricating a new tail section would work. There is quite a bit of room behind the monoshock, the battery would still work in a lowered tail. I'm going to modify my blast this winter with some different typ of foot controls. The stock controls are about the wonkiest set up ever designed into a motorcycle. Hard to believe that design came out of Eric Buell's head.

Edit: I put my blast on my lift and took a tape measure to the seat area. A 20" seat height will be a challenge due to the top of the drive belt is 18" from ground due to the large diameter of the rear drive pulley. The monoshock can remain intact but the rest will have to be cut off and fabricated from scratch to get a low seat height. Putting the blast engine in a sportster frame isn't as easy as modifying the blast. There is a couple of build threads on this site of some nicely done swing arm sportsters with a lower seat. I would start cutting on whatever you have a clear title on.
    Last edited by KevinN; 08-15-2015 at 1:29 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a clean title on the blast. I don't need to use the stock seat. I pulled it off and it looks like if I could relocate the battery and do something with the top shock mount (or maybe get a shorter shock) it might get close. I only need the area right behind the tank to get low enough.

I was wondering if lower profile tires would help, but it would probably be minimal.

Please consider buying her a small dirt bike and getting her on that for 6 months PRIOR to riding on the road - the skills she picks up may well save her life - I suggest this to all new riders

High seat heights are a common problem on new dirt bikes so -

A) take the blast suspension (Forks and Shocks) to a suspension tuning guy that deals with dirt bikes - pretty sure they will have a trick or two to lower it a couple inches - remember you need this bike to still handle well so it dont flip her off and down the road
    B) take the cover off the seat and see if you can shave an inch or so off - electric carving knives are great
    C) Teach her that when she pulls up to slide her ass across the seat so one leg will be closer to the ground
    D) You may get a few MM as you suggested looking at tyre sizes

Great to see you doing this!

Get Adobe Flash player

A buddy sent me this pic when I owned a blast, Stock backbone

Sporty frame

These I found a few a while back. This is just reusing google image lol

"Stock Frame"

A guy built this as well. Flyrite frame
    I dont like how the neck was cut.

This ones one of my favorite. "The Booby Trap"

It was a feature bike on here, Build for his ol lady.

This was built with a Ironhead frame.

http://www.chopcult.com/news/article...ooby-trap.html
    Last edited by Spade115; 08-17-2015 at 10:45 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

this is a modded stock blast frame that i had a 23" seat height on.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	relocatedheadlight.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	302.8 KB 
ID:	62977

i cut the front bracing out of the swingarm and moved it ahead so i could move the lower shock mount down on to the side of the bracing,without changing the geometry.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0015.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	280.5 KB 
ID:	62978

hth,

leon

Share This