X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VanBreezy
    • Jul 2014

Fuel Management Systems: School me up

Hey Ladies and Gents,

So we recently installed a new AC and a set of RSD Slant 2-1s on my wife's 2014 883 Iron:

Now I know from basic internal combustion engine operation, with the new AC she's probably running a lean mix in the engine, however it being an EFI bike I have no idea how to tune it for the new exhaust + AC. I've seen people talk about different fuel management systems, but I have no idea how they work or how to use them. Any help would be much appreciated as I generally do everything in my power to avoid the HD Stealership like the fucking plague.

Thanks in advance, we're trying to make it to the Cheapo Chop-Off in a couple weeks and would hate to fuck up her engine at all on the way down and back!
    Last edited by VanBreezy; 08-15-2015, 9:57 AM.
  • VanBreezy
    • Jul 2014

Anyone?

Comment

• Salty
      • Sep 2010

GOOD LUCK.

Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) and Performance Parts for Harley Davidson and VTwin Motorcycles

Comment

• WillSCB
        • Dec 2014

I personally wouldn't take dyno or tuning issues to the dealership. If you want it tuned right, with the right tuner (and there are several options there) find a good tuning facility. I have been doing an online events and information site, and have a local shop that does great work sponsoring a tech page, and they covered that very subject this month in depth, so here is the link: http://sincitybiker.com/Valhalla-Cycles-Tech-Tip.php
        Last edited by WillSCB; 08-15-2015, 3:42 PM.

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

The xlforum is the best place I've seen for modern Sportster info.

Comment

• Pendulum
            • Jul 2011

In my experience with EFI, the best option is to find a local tuner that you trust and has a GOOD REPUTATION. Those last 2 words are VERY important!

Talk to him, and ask what tuning solution he prefers. Plunk down your coin, and let the wizard work.

Comment

• VanBreezy
              • Jul 2014

Thanks for the replies everyone, so I did some research and we're thinking about going with this little guy:

The Vance & Hines FP4 is the newest evolution in our renowned electronics product line and the most intuitive tool on the market. The Vance & Hines FP…

Figured it's gonna be the most painless and simple solution to get her bike running right without having to shell out for someone else's services. Yeah it may not be the best but I'm reasonably tech-savvy and can figure most things out when it comes to computer shit. It's frustrating not having bikes be as simple these days, but at the same time I recognize that it's just a simple evolution of the garage work mentality that has been around since the dawn of personal automobiles. Just one more layer of shit to learn that is initially daunting but just like rebuilding carbs, lacing wheels, and welding frames, it's something that can be learned through getting balls deep in it and learning instead of cowering in fear.

Comment

• daroberts3
                • Dec 2012

How is the bike running since you installed the AC and Exhaust. There is a small percentage of self tuning that the stock system is capable of using the O2 sensors. If its not running really hot or detonating consider leaving it alone.
                Being that the RSD system is made by Vance and Hines, you could use the Fuelpack. It probably has a map specifically for this state of tune..
                I have had good luck with the Xied O2 enricheners, they plug in line with the O2 sensors and have a small pot switch for adjusting. Not too expensive either, maybe $120 or less.
                Dynojet PowerVision is my favorite. It has a basic auto tune that works well but it costs $500 ish.
                No reason to go to the dealer. And IMO no need to Dynotune it with any of the above tuners.

Comment

• VanBreezy
                  • Jul 2014

Probably should have updated this thread, but yeah, we ended up buying the V&H Fuelpak FP3 which allowed us to tune it through her iphone (motherfucking science). Bike runs awesome now with the new map and we have the ability to tweak it as needed in the future. Just sent her off on the Dream Roll yesterday:

Comment

• Thorn666
                    • Apr 2016

Hey how is that Fuelpak working for you? Im thinking about getting it.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;