CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default BSA hardtail question

So i'm building a 1968 BSA and its come time to buy my hardtail so i was looking for a bolt on hardtail but all i can find is weld ons. Well in my quest i was told by a local that there is no way of bolting a hardtail onto the bsa frame, is this right or have i just not found someone making the bolt ons?

Get Adobe Flash player

no bolt ons that i know of. Triumphs have a 'bolt on' frame section from the factory, which makes the bolt on hardtail possible.

Get Adobe Flash player

Correct. Actually LOOK at your frame. Do you see bolt holes or fittings where a hardtail would attach? Look at hardtail types. What do you see where they join the frame?

To learn how things work study basic mechanics and structures. Everyone starts somewhere and images are useful.

BTW BSAs and anything of that era are not reliable by modern standards and unless you are or want to become a mechanic are a bad (not marginal, BAD because of frequent malfunctions and high recurring maintenance) choice for actual riding. Most people with Britbike experience are insufficiently direct about warning newbies. I don't sugarcoat shit. Most of the bikes at Britbile rallies get there by trailer.

They are a great way to learn to be a mechanic and fun to play with in that respect. Get the factory service manual and factory parts book and get on British forums for study because there is a lot to learn.

BSA owners club etc are good sources for info. Just don't mention you are cutting one up because no reason exists to assert that and annoy those who want to save the last few.

Have fun, do nothing without study, and ASK QUESTIONS before tackling anything you are not sure of.

Get Adobe Flash player

I dont actually have a BSA front loop which is why i asked, when i bought the bike the motor was in a mangled up triumph frame so i dont have a BSA frame in front of me to study but i need to buy my hardtail now so i can get my fender holes drilled while i still have an opportunity to get my tins painted at cost by the shop i work in. My only experience with hardtail frames is my fathers '68 triumph which has a bolt on but also has the option of buying weld ons which is why i asked if both were available for the BSA

Get Adobe Flash player

If you have no frame I suggest looking for a complete hardtail frame rather than just a hardtail because you won't be able to precisely picture how everything will sit and are likely to get the holes in the wrong place.

You can drill a painted surface cleanly by using a "center drill" to start the hole after making a punch mark. You can then dab some clear paint around the hole edge to prevent rust propagation.

Center drills are insanely nice to have and work with handheld drill motors as well as mills and drill presses. Conventional twist drills "walk" hence the use of center drills to start them. They are also good countersinks.

http://www.amazon.com/Angle-Machinis.../dp/B00QUYB65I
    Last edited by farmall; 08-13-2015 at 2:21 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I cant do that because of canadian laws, if i get a custom made frame it has to be titled as a brand new bike and i lose the freedom to do certain things to it so it's better for me to cut the swing arm off a stock frame and weld the hardtail to it

Get Adobe Flash player

why not use the triumph frame that came with it?? just make new motor mounts. They look a lot better than the beezer frames anyway...

Get Adobe Flash player

They do look a lot better but the frame is beyond mangled and the ownership is so sketchy i wont try putting in in my name cause if something goes wrong during the licensing they just take the bike from me

Get Adobe Flash player

Do you have a title to anything or just some parts? Seems a confused way to go about a project. If you have sheet metal parts you are in love with get 'em painted then drill any needed holes carefully after painting.

How far can you go per Canadian law, for example if you were going to use a Triumph frame could you use any other frame you like and mod that if it has a title? Could a Suzuki neck go on a custom frame with a Triumph engine?

Doing anything without a title in hand first is questionable if your DMV decide to be dicks. Title is the FIRST thing to get before giving a shit about the rest of a motorcycle unless it's at organ donor price.

Get Adobe Flash player

farmall, the laws for bikes up here kinda run on a all good till you get caught principle. the cops dont even know the laws and what is required on a bike changes province to province. thatstupidkydd what provence you in? you can basicly run any title you want as long as you dont fuck with the vin stamped on the frame but if you go to something it obviously isnt you will get hasseled (depending on riding style. my bikes a "stock" xs on papaer, its hardtailed, no signals, suicide shift, no front fender. none of wich is allowed in my provence unless it came from factory like that and ive yet to catch shit) unless you have a lead on a bsa frame with a title it will probably be quite the search up here to find one with out buying a whole bike. depending on where you live the inspection list for u builds really isnt bad and if you get a frame with a mso it looks a lot better (be absolutely sure the engine numbers dont come back hot, they will check and if they do they take the bike and you might get the rest of it back... maybe) thats the "right" way to do it. i woould just look for a neck and papers from any inline twin and run that but one day that kinda shit will catch up with me

Share This