Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billdozer
    • Apr 2024

TECH: Make a Throttle Cable out of a BMX Cable

I wanted to test a slideshow here to see if it works. It seems to. This was made by linking a flickr album to Pictobuilder if anyone is interested it doing other ones. You write your notes as captions in flickr and it automagically imports them. You can do the same by using: Pictobrowser

One note on building throttle cables: it helps to how how much cable you need sticking out of the housing. I built one tonight for a single-pull CV carb hooked to an aftermarket throttle. The old factory one I took off worked great and it had 5" of exposed cable outside of the housing and the adjustable noodle I got for free as a take-off from my local indy shop. I didn't show a "noodle" in this demo, but it goes on the throttle housing end of the cable. I put a length of heat shrink over it to attach it to the housing and it appears to be enough to keep it in place. Better than spending too much for a cable that isn't really the right size anyway, and kids don't want brakes on their BMX bikes now anyway!

Please let me know if anyone has a hard time viewing the slideshow.

Get the flash player here: http://www.adobe.com/flashplayer
  • jlive
    • Aug 2009

Cool. thanks for that.

Comment

• Fredo
      • Jul 2009

Thats real nice, I'll be using this for a new cable myself. I wonder if I can expand this tech to make a clutch cable too?

Comment

• image1
        • Aug 2009

cool tech! i never thought of turning down a bolt to make a barrel, you crafty bastard!

Comment

• billdozer
          • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Fredo
          Thats real nice, I'll be using this for a new cable myself. I wonder if I can expand this tech to make a clutch cable too?
          With the different ends on a clutch cable and the extra stress and leverage, I think I'd leave that to the pros. Anyone got tech on making one?

Comment

• Fredo
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by billdozer
            With the different ends on a clutch cable and the extra stress and leverage, I think I'd leave that to the pros. Anyone got tech on making one?
            HA!, If I left shit to the pros I wouldn't still be working on the shvl 24 hrs before I drop it off.
            Where's the fun in that?

Comment

• howiejdog
              • Aug 2009

That was very cool. I have often been frustrated at how much I pay for someone to do so little with cables... I'll have to try the flikr slideshow with commentary too.

Comment

• jakazz
                • Aug 2009

excellent tech and some great links for the hardware..thanx

Comment

• 4horsemen20
                  • Sep 2009

i have been on this site for 1 day and i am constantly surprised by all you sly devils. this shit is fuckin epic!!! keep up the creativity and i will keep learning from you.

Comment

• junkyard2
                    • Sep 2009

damn i learn something new on this site everyday...

Comment

• pangeaspeed
                      • Sep 2009

billdozer, i have some info on how to do a clutch cable. its a similar process i just end up brazing the end on with silicon bronze. also a little trick i use on the cable ends to keep them from fraying out is just hit the end with some solder and an iron. tin the cable like you would tin a wire to be soldered.

Comment

• zero937
                        • Sep 2011

nice

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;