Wrecked Softail rebuild. What am I overlooking?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 11B2P
    • Jun 2015

Wrecked Softail rebuild. What am I overlooking?

I just acquired an '86 FLST for free. Unfortunately my girlfriend's uncle crashed into the side of his neighbors house and didn't make it. I picked up the bike yesterday after looking at it a week or so ago. Motor and trans are seemingly untouched minus a cracked derby. Other than that it all seems to be cosmetic. And quite a bit of things the cops took off (due to full investigation) and never cared to put back or with the big things. Basically I'm missing a bunch of hardware. Boohoo, I got the bike for free. I've started tearing it apart. Basically tins, bars, forks. Mind you I'm working inside a storage unit in so cal with 100 plus heat. The list of things that are fucked so far are as follows:

Front end (planning on re-using the axle, trees unless they're not straight and neck bearings. should I not?)
    tanks
    seat
    rear fender
    derby cover
    floor boards

These things I'm missing, if you know where I can find em I appreciate it.
    Gas tank hardware
    seat hardware
    hand control hardware
    front caliper hardware

[B]Now are two very important parts!!![B] From the naked eye the frame does not seem to be damaged at all. I was not planning on pulling everything to have it checked. What's the consensus? Damnit I'm kind of drunk and forgot the second one! Guess it wasn't that important.
  • JetBlackII
    • Apr 2024

Originally posted by 11B2P
    I just acquired an '86 FLST for free. Unfortunately my girlfriend's uncle crashed into the side of his neighbors house and didn't make it. I picked up the bike yesterday after looking at it a week or so ago. Motor and trans are seemingly untouched minus a cracked derby. Other than that it all seems to be cosmetic. And quite a bit of things the cops took off (due to full investigation) and never cared to put back or with the big things. Basically I'm missing a bunch of hardware. Boohoo, I got the bike for free. I've started tearing it apart. Basically tins, bars, forks. Mind you I'm working inside a storage unit in so cal with 100 plus heat. The list of things that are fucked so far are as follows:

Front end (planning on re-using the axle, trees unless they're not straight and neck bearings. should I not?)
    tanks
    seat
    rear fender
    derby cover
    floor boards

These things I'm missing, if you know where I can find em I appreciate it.
    Gas tank hardware
    seat hardware
    hand control hardware
    front caliper hardware

[B]Now are two very important parts!!![B] From the naked eye the frame does not seem to be damaged at all. I was not planning on pulling everything to have it checked. What's the consensus? Damnit I'm kind of drunk and forgot the second one! Guess it wasn't that important.
    Harley frames are pretty sturdy, the front down tubes would be likely bent on the frame if the impact was enough to damage the frame in anyway... as the rake translates into the neck and bends those first, you can look for cracked paint in the neck welds... don't see any then I wouldn't be concerned except to check to see if the frame is still in square otherwise it will track to one side and belt/chain alignment will always be off and minor things may not fit back up right on the frame like oil tank etc., you can rig up a simple jig to check squareness of the frame.

Any good hardware store will have the bolts required for the smalls, just write down all of the missing fasteners down out of a shop manual schematic... including size, length and thread pitch.

The most complicated part may be titling depending on the state... is it a rebuild/salvage title? Was there an insurance claim that totaled it? I'd make sure that shit is in the clear before dropping a dime on it, as many states will not allow a rebuilt with a salvage title back on the road unless it states re-build-able specifically on the title itself...

Of course that isn't the end of the road, in many states as you could sell off all that other shit you likely wouldn't need or use, after getting a good legal bill of sale for the motor itself and then slap that in an MSO'ed or other titled frame and go from there... special construction, is a better listing on a title than rebuilt is.

Comment

• 11B2P
      • Jun 2015

The only cracked paint is on the neck itself where the headlight came through the front (fairing?) Sorry my chop is quite a minimalist when it comes to a stock softail. Guess the easy way is to just see if it tracks; doesn't line up the way it should. If need be I'll drop it in a buddy's jig, but then it'll probably get the rigid treatment. Good thought on the hardware. I just downloaded the Service manual for this bike from the manuals thread. Shouldn't be too hard at all to get those. As far as titling goes there will be some issues. As far as I know there was no insurance claim, so there should be no salvage. I hope. But it is still registered to him, although he's passed. His mother is next of kin which legally means its hers. She's gifting it to me. So yea, there's going to be a massive headache with that. Especially being in CA. But like I said, no insurance claim so no salvage. Unless they find out he died on the bike.

Comment

• Cisco726
        • Apr 2024

You can always check the Long Beach swapmeet. You'll see the ads on here. I believe the next one is on the 23rd.

Comment

• 11B2P
          • Jun 2015

Oh yea, I already picked up tanks, forks, a derby and some other shit I forgot. All for under $100. I love being so close to that. Only problem for me is that I get paid on the 1st. So by the time that comes around my ass is broke and hungry.

On to another question. The bars that were on the bike got me confused. They were internal wiring, but only for the indicators, ignition, horn, lights etc. The brake and clutch cable were exposed. Now what really confuses me is that it seemed like there was a "cover" over the actual 7/8" bars that made it cover the wires. I've never ran internal wiring but from what I figured was a hole at the bottom and a hole at the grips to hide the wires. Which is right? I wanted to get some Zombie Performance bendalicious bars but got stuck when it came to dimpled / internal / regular. I run regular biltwell trackers on my chop, but I've also go minimal shit coming from my bars. Shit, I don't even know what it means to be dimpled (besides the obvious).

Comment

• Grantman
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by 11B2P
            As far as titling goes there will be some issues. As far as I know there was no insurance claim, so there should be no salvage. I hope. But it is still registered to him, although he's passed. His mother is next of kin which legally means its hers. She's gifting it to me. So yea, there's going to be a massive headache with that. Especially being in CA. But like I said, no insurance claim so no salvage. Unless they find out he died on the bike.
            Nazifornia isn't as bad as you think. Since she is the next of kin the is a form you get from the DMV for that. DO NOT have her "gift" it to you! This state will rape you on taxes. Have her write on the title that you paid a few hundred dollars for it, the taxes will be less than a gift. Gift goes by book value, and that's their book not Kelly Blue Book or anything you can check. It's not a 100% bike, why pay the taxes due for a 100% bike? Make sure it gets dated where you can get to the DMV within 10 days (hard as hell to do now with all the illegals in Cali getting drivers licenses) or they like to charge all kinds of late fees. At least that is my experience in Bakersfield.

Comment

• 11B2P
              • Jun 2015

Thanks for the info. I'll make sure to do that. I'm still trying to get my chop legal in CA. It's a Flyrite that's been titled as such every state I've had it in. But CA wants me to make it a special construction. Its got a VIN but no motor number so its been a hassle for the past couple years.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;