CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default 1973 XLCH Electrical Issue

DESCRIPTION OF THE BIKE: WIRING IS SIMPLE AND STUPID- 1973 IRONHEAD-KICK ONLY-HEADLIGHT AND TAIL LIGHT ONLY-ONE CLICK IGNITION ONLY-TWO CLICKS IGNITION AND ACCESSORY

Alright, I'll add to the million Ironhead wiring questions/disasters.

I just bought back my first Harley (1973 XLCH) from one of my buddies. For some reason he thought it would be good idea to wire in a toggle switch into the headlight to toggle on and off the headlight. Needless to say, he wired it in incorrectly and it killed the electrical system and smoke came out of the headlight shortly after riding it for the first time after the modification.

I just got the bike back two days ago. I replaced the battery (old one wouldn't hold charge) and hooked it up. Tail light comes on and I believe one half of the circuit breakers that are connected by a brass piece keeps resetting itself (with a click). It kills the entire system when it clicks, turn the bike back on and it does it again after being on for a couple seconds (it'll even click moments after being shut off). I've been chasing wires since last night to see where the short/problem is. I even wired in a 15amp fuse to replace the defective CB and came to the conclusion that the accessory wiring (brake/headlight) is shorting out somewhere because it keeps blowing the fuse. I removed the headlight from the wiring, and the fuse was great, so I assumed the short was in the headlight; however when I press the rear brake the fuse busts as well. Basically, I'm confused as hell what it could be. Any thoughts or advice on what to do?

Also:
    -Thinking of replacing all of the circuit breakers with fuses instead...good idea? and do i wire the fuses exactly as the circuit breakers are wired?
    -How many fuses should I have? Also where should they be?
    -Generator was checked two months ago and it tested fine, and when revving the engine, it does charge the system. The bike has killed two batteries though now in the past two years. What could be happening there?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I would keep the CB's for ease of maintenance, it keeps you from having to carry a pocket full of different size fuses. On the other hand glass top fuses are slimmer profile. If you're going to swap the cb's for fuses, they should wire in just like the breakers, line on one side and load on the other side.

As far as killing batteries, it sounds like a slow leak to ground. Over time, your battery weakening while it sits and then being recharged by the generator when you ride will kill it.

As for the brake light, if it's a 3 wire light (brake light, running light, ground wire) ensure that you have the proper lead going to ground. If your buddy f'ed up something as simple as a two wire toggle switch, well, you get the idea.

Share This