CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13

    Default CA Assigned Indentification Number

    Ey all,
    I was recently over in the US from Australia for BF. While I was there I looked at an OEM wishbone frame. The frame was raked, de-tabbed and moulded etc and it had a CA assigned identification number blue plate riveted to the left down tube.

    Coming from Australia I'm not familiar with this type of thing, what does that blue tag mean? Is it possible to get the title based on the blue tag alone? I know these bikes were titled by the engine number, so i'm not sure why the frame would of been tagged. Basically, if it was possible to get a title based on assigned vin and bill of sale it would make registration for the bike much easier over here in Australia.

    Any info would be much appreciated.

    Cheers
    Last edited by panama; 07-31-2015 at 10:52 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by panama View Post
    Ey all,
    I was recently over in the US from Australia for BF. While I was there I picked up an OEM wishbone frame. The frame was raked, de-tabbed and moulded etc and it had a CA assigned identification number blue plate riveted to the left down tube.

    Coming from Australia I'm not familiar with this type of thing, what does that blue tag mean? Is it possible to get the title based on the blue tag alone? I know these bikes were titled by the engine number, so i'm not sure why the frame would of been tagged. Basically, if it was possible to get a title based on assigned vin and bill of sale it would make registration for the bike much easier over here in Australia.

    Any info would be much appreciated.

    Cheers
    That frame likely had a 1970 or later harley engine in it. 1969 or earlier, the engine gets the title.

    If you have a 69 or earlier engine you're going to run, just drill those rivets and remove.

    If you're trying to get a title to that frame alone... Could be weird. Do you have a title or bill of sale from the dude that owned it last?

    If it's been unregistered for over 10 years, it drops out of the dmv database. If you're still in California, you can pretend it was always your bike and you lost the title. Apply for a lost title and get one.

    I had a 1950 that hadn't been registered since the 80's. No paperwork. I told the dmv that I always owned it and lost the title in a move. I signed an affidavit and got issued one. Easy.

    Need more details on this brah.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Thanks CRF,
    No bill of sale it came from a swap. Looks like it had been sitting for quite a long time.

    Is there any way to look up one of these assigned vin's to find out some more info?
    Last edited by panama; 07-31-2015 at 10:54 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by panama View Post
    Thanks CRF,
    No bill of sale it came from a swap. Looks like it had been sitting for quite a long time. It might be the way to go for me to say I always owned it. I can get a mate over in CA to go through it for me and then transfer the title for me. This frame will have a cone shovel in it for the time being and eventually when I have the $$$ a pan.

    Is there any way to look up one of these assigned vin's to find out some more info?
    I've called AAA and told them, "I'm thinking about buying a bike. Here's the vin number can you tell me if there's a problem with it?"

    They will say they can't give out info. But I say that's fine. Just tell me if it's coming up stolen or okay.

    What I'm fishing for is to hear if it's out of the system and no data is available. This allows you or your friend to say you lost your own title to it. And start that process.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Ah right, that's a good little trick. I might give them a call tomorrow and try that one out. Thanks for the tip.

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,409

    Default

    Just grind off the rivets, and it's just a frame.
    if it's blue tagged you will play hell in Oz trying to get the frame in.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13

    Default

    BuddhahoodVato, the frame is already here in Australia with me. I just checked it in as excess baggage on my flight home. The flight was empty so they let me check it in for free.

    CRFyou, I called AAA they wouldn't talk to me as I am not a member. I did a few other searches through online systems but nothing came up for the numbers. I could just send my mate into the DMV and say he's always owned it but I wouldn't want to get him in any strife if it turns up to be registered interstate.

    I also called the CHP, they said for me to take the number to the DMV then they will request a vin inspection by CHP. Obviously that's out of the question as the frames over here with me. Do I have any other options here?

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by panama View Post
    BuddhahoodVato, the frame is already here in Australia with me. I just checked it in as excess baggage on my flight home. The flight was empty so they let me check it in for free.

    CRFyou, I called AAA they wouldn't talk to me as I am not a member. I did a few other searches through online systems but nothing came up for the numbers. I could just send my mate into the DMV and say he's always owned it but I wouldn't want to get him in any strife if it turns up to be registered interstate.

    I also called the CHP, they said for me to take the number to the DMV then they will request a vin inspection by CHP. Obviously that's out of the question as the frames over here with me. Do I have any other options here?
    Stop half-assing life and rock a genny shovel or older?!

    Your only recourse is dubious shit now. Pull that blue tag off. Buy a titled engine and just go with it.

    You being out of the country with the frame makes life hard. But it's already in Oz. So strap it to a sheep and ride that shit into town and get an engine in it.

    Don't let any shit cunts stop you from living your dream.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRFyou View Post
    Stop half-assing life and rock a genny shovel or older?!

    Your only recourse is dubious shit now. Pull that blue tag off. Buy a titled engine and just go with it.

    You being out of the country with the frame makes life hard. But it's already in Oz. So strap it to a sheep and ride that shit into town and get an engine in it.

    Don't let any shit cunts stop you from living your dream.

    Hahaha solid response there mate. Yeah the end goal is to drop a titled pan in there. But you know. Australian dollar only buys .75 USD. It's going to be a while before I have that kind of cash. I'll just have to hustle until that happens.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Heres the deal. In the US, its illegal to remove, alter or obliterate the VIN or state issued tag with the intent to hide them, PERIOD. It doesnt matter what year the engine is, the frame, etc, etc. Once you get a set of issued VINs, a VIN tag, or is some states, a small sticker with state issued, thats it.

    If you did, would anyone know? Most likely not, but YOU will. Ive been in the resto and build biz for almost 30 years now, Cars and bikes: Dont rely on any forums, get with the folks in your area that enforce DMV or registration type laws and ASK THEM

    Theres a reason for the sometimes crazy rules and regs have come up. And yes, they are a real PIA

    Next, I wouldn't post any crazy ideas....Its the net, and not as anominous as people think: IPs can be tracked. Thats how Johnny Law gets folks off the net.

    Again, do it right. Check with YOUR laws. Loopholes are one thing, breaking laws is another........Save yourself the PIA of riding in the future and wondering what could happen if it aint done right

    There are folks in jail, or have paid huge $$$ in attorny fees to avoid jail, that have either assumed wrong, or did know and did it anyways.........

    Im not a big fan of jail or $$$$ for mouthpieces

  11. #11

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    416

    Default

    One last thing......The old saying that 3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead. The whole world already knows what you have. If you have talked w/friends where you live, they know.....You might know where I am going w/this....Word spreads. RIght now, assuming all is still in place, you are legal. Who knows, it might not be hard to keep it that way and n your name. Fuck AAA, they suck. Talk with Johhny Law and tell them what you are "considering" purchasing and go from there

    Good luck

  12. #12
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by docmel View Post
    Heres the deal. In the US, its illegal to remove, alter or obliterate the VIN or state issued tag with the intent to hide them, PERIOD. It doesnt matter what year the engine is, the frame, etc, etc. Once you get a set of issued VINs, a VIN tag, or is some states, a small sticker with state issued, thats it.

    If you did, would anyone know? Most likely not, but YOU will. Ive been in the resto and build biz for almost 30 years now, Cars and bikes: Dont rely on any forums, get with the folks in your area that enforce DMV or registration type laws and ASK THEM

    Theres a reason for the sometimes crazy rules and regs have come up. And yes, they are a real PIA

    Next, I wouldn't post any crazy ideas....Its the net, and not as anominous as people think: IPs can be tracked. Thats how Johnny Law gets folks off the net.

    Again, do it right. Check with YOUR laws. Loopholes are one thing, breaking laws is another........Save yourself the PIA of riding in the future and wondering what could happen if it aint done right

    There are folks in jail, or have paid huge $$$ in attorny fees to avoid jail, that have either assumed wrong, or did know and did it anyways.........

    Im not a big fan of jail or $$$$ for mouthpieces

    Dude. Read the thread. He's in AUSTRALIA


    He is under no obligation to keep a blue tag on a wishbone frame when he's on a different continent inhabited by prisoners of Her Royal Highness.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Yep: I know he is in AUSTRAILIA...........Thats why I said he needs to check locally, LIKE I SAID in my previous posts.
    For the US, I just gave out our examples. The bottom line, he should check out his laws.

    As you said: "Dude, read the thread"

    Gotta love rock throwing on the net

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Docmel, point taken there mate. Some good advice. CRF is right I am in Australia but it's good to know about the blue tag stuff as I'm often looking for bikes over there and have no idea about that stuff. I'm just going to leave the tag as is and go through the steps I need to go get it legally registered here in aus.

    Cheers

  15. #15
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,468

    Default

    I framed my conversation for a dude out of the country with a CA frame.

    If I bought a wishbone frame from Oz and the head kangaroo removed his dingo stamp from his pouch and stamped the frame, I wouldn't give 2 crocodile Dundees about removing it from my frame that's now in CA.

    That's my only point.

    And yes I get that what you do in the state is shady, and you shouldn't, and all types of other Heinrich Himmler stuff...

  16. #16
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CRFyou View Post
    I framed my conversation for a dude out of the country with a CA frame.

    If I bought a wishbone frame from Oz and the head kangaroo removed his dingo stamp from his pouch and stamped the frame, I wouldn't give 2 crocodile Dundees about removing it from my frame that's now in CA.

    That's my only point.

    And yes I get that what you do in the state is shady, and you shouldn't, and all types of other Heinrich Himmler stuff...
    I just spit my lunch all over the keyboard.

Share This



Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in