X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LeanMcLean
    • Apr 2015

Planning 1976 T140 Hardtail and Build

So here goes...

I've read through every thread I can find on the subject and think I have a fair idea of what I want to do, but I want to use this as a forum for constructive criticism as I go through my process. I have a 76 bonneville bored out to a little over 800 cc that started as my uncles bike, became my mother's, and has been mine for a couple years now. It's already a jumble of parts from when my uncle used to street race it and wrecked it years ago. Cerriani front end, chopped rear frame loop, cut and moved forward fender, battery eliminator, and about four inches of the rear of the tank is bondo from where my uncles crotch crushed it in (ouch), to name some of the work and fixes. Recently I've been breaking brackets and racking up a list of parts needing replacing, so it has me wanting to limp it through the summer and save up for a winter hardtail and overall chopper project.

Here's where I need advice. I've been checking out as much as I can on frames and hardtail kits, and I've decided I want to go the route of eliminating the bulky OIF backbone and downtube. Living in NH I don't think I need to have matching frame numbers so I'm basically between getting a David Bird slimline weld on hardtail, or a factory metal works frame. I'm probably going to go with 4" stretch and 2-2 1/2" drop because that seems to be the most balanced standard look I'm seeing. I want to run a king and queen seat more than likely for riding with a passenger hopefully fairly often (I've never done this because my fender is not even close to strong enough to hold someone).

Kind of looking for advice on the frame first, and will be posting here more as I make progress and even maybe tomorrow to show pictures of the bike and how it's been getting all fucked up on me, and from me like when I dumped it on the exhaust when I took it out this spring and hit slush on my mile long mountain driveway... I've been learning how to work on the bike as I go, and am new to any sort of metal fabrication. I plan on learning how to weld asap, and I'm eager for any advice on what to aim for or avoid in a first build. Thanks in advance!
  • Torch
    • Jul 2009

David Bird also makes a Slim-line conversion for your OIF frame....that's the best idea for keeping your Triumph frame and getting rid of the oil tank backbone and being able to use a normal gas tank.

be careful about going to a complete aftermarket frame...in most every state the motorcycle is registered as whatever the frame is.....(not the engine)

so if you go to register a bike with an aftermarket frame....you no longer have a 1976 Triumph motorcycle....you now have a 2015 Special construction motorcycle.

just send the Triumph frame to David and he will do the whole conversion welded up straight in a frame jig and ship it back to you.
    Last edited by Torch; 07-28-2015, 7:58 AM.

Comment

• LeanMcLean
      • Apr 2015

Thank you for the advice Torch. I didn't know sending the frame to David Bird was an option so that's something I'll look into. Not having to deal with my town office and state sounds good to me.

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

It makes sense to preserve your numbers and no one better to install a frame mod than the gent who produces it. The OIF frames were a mistake (cracks, difficult to clean) and a kit which eliminates that shit while returning classic Triumph styling is IMO a good thing.

Visit welding forums, obtain a non-shit welding machine, and PRACTICE on scrap then destructively test your practice coupon. Weldingweb and the Miller website and forums are excellent. Miller have good training videos too.

Comment

• LeanMcLean
          • Apr 2015

Thanks farmall. I know a couple people who can help with pointers too, and if I can't afford to ship my frame back and forth there's a couple master welders around who I could have do the hardtail. I know my dad has a small welder kicking around, I'll figure out what it is and see if it's any good.

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

Shipping isn't very expensive for a naked frame, and even less expensive outbound if you contact David Bird and get a SPECIFIC idea of how much you can cut off before he gets it to do final cut and fitting.

Master welders weld but they don't all do precise frame fabrication which is different and very much a matter of fitment and geometry. A structure may be perfectly welded wrong.

Comment

• LeanMcLean
              • Apr 2015

Cool, this is exactly why I started this thread. The help is much appreciated.

Comment

• LeanMcLean
                • Apr 2015

Where its at now pretty much

[IMG] photo WP_20141105_008_zpszrwk3nh6.jpg[/IMG]
                Attached Files

Comment

• jtbros
                  • Jan 2011

put a flat track handlebar and some dirt track tyres on her and ride it like hell in the dirt. You got a great setup with the ceriani frontend. Everybody hardtails theire bike these day's.....

Comment

• LeanMcLean
                    • Apr 2015

I love the tracker look on a triumph, but I want a chopper (part of why I'm on chop cult). And I hardly see any customized bikes where I live, it's all baggers and touring bikes. Add to that I live in the granite state, and I can just imagine hard riding in some rocks and breaking the oil tank. I'll just save up for an enduro if I want to rip in the woods. I checked out your link and your tracker style bike looks great though jtbros

Comment

• jtbros
                      • Jan 2011

My Original plan was to build a swing arm chopper from the 650 but I allready have a chopper (hardtail) I decided to make a tracker from it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• farmall
                        • Apr 2013

Do the old Triumph as a hardtail then get a Hinckley Triumph as a scrambler.

Mosickles don't get jealous of each other. You even can ride a new one with the old on watching.

Comment

• LeanMcLean
                          • Apr 2015

Jtbros, I dig that black bike. I still have plenty of time to mull this all over as I save up for the winter, but I'll bring this thread back with progress. Thanks for your opinions and advice!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;