Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pooletx
    • Mar 2015

'70 Daytona t100r: new rocker box gaskets, now won't run

Newbie here. First build, shakedown ride and oil weeping from rocker boxes. Put on new gaskets, everything cool right? Apparently I didn't do something right because I have little compression and even though I have spark and fuel, the bike won't start. Any tips on how to "un-f*$^" my situation?
    Any info appreciated!
  • SamHain
    • Apr 2024

pushrods seated right? they can be a bitch to get in the rocker arms, then valve adjustment.

Comment

• pooletx
      • Mar 2015

I thought that might be where I'm missing something, but my Haynes manual just shows grainy pics in b/w. Are there any resources out there with better visual tips? And thanks for the reply!

Comment

• Dinnertimedave
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by pooletx
        I thought that might be where I'm missing something, but my Haynes manual just shows grainy pics in b/w. Are there any resources out there with better visual tips? And thanks for the reply!
        Best visual aid you've got is your own eyes Take off the rocker caps and kick it over slowly. Are the pushrods moving?? If not they've not seated properly on the tappets/lifters. They're a bastard for doing that. Get those rods moving then check your valve clearances and it should run

Oh yeah, get a Clymer manual, Haynes are shite
        Last edited by Dinnertimedave; 07-27-2015, 8:13 AM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

• pooletx
          • Mar 2015

Thanks! This is why I ask here, and not on triumphrat, which is as useful as Liberace at the Playboy Mansion. thanks for the tips, and i'll see if i can get this back up and running!

Comment

• ScarTissue
            • Apr 2024

If you suddenly have little compression it sounds to me like you have stuck valves. Dinnertimedave pretty much nailed it.

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

Find a proper factory manual and parts catalog online and hunt vintage Triumph sites and forums. Less-specialized resources get worse results.

Fuck Haynes. Buy a factory reprint if you you have to.

I suggest doing a leakdown check to see where your compression loss is coming from. If the gaskets are good the valves may be too tight.

Comment

• pooletx
                • Mar 2015

Interesting with the valves. I didn't think I'd have to do anything with them, thought maybe the pushrods didn't seat, but what do I know...this is my first Triumph, I've had a ChangJiang and an Enfield. I'm set to work on the old girl Sat. morning and by that time will have a real manual, etc. Thanks for all the info, really is MUCH appreciated.

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

but what do I know.
                  You'd know more if you make a habit of ALWAYS studying theory of operation of EVERY engine you work on. Assumption is the mother of all fuckups. Don't guess, know!

If you are not into heavy, heavy study of mechanical systems you don't need to own an older British motorcycle because you MUST become a proficient mechanic on every model you ride or you WILL have a two-wheeled doorstop. The motorcycles absolutely demand constant interaction and skilled maintenance. They don't have feelings and are incapable of caring what an owner wants.

That's what vintage Britbike owners like about them.

Comment

• dorset
                    • Dec 2014

Originally posted by farmall
                    That's what vintage Britbike owners like about them.
                    sometimes we like them less than at other times.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;