CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Sporty ignition issues

I picked up a 2000 Sportster to be my reliable daily but it's not working out for me too well. About 200 miles after I picked it up I started having issues with the stock electronic ignition, once it got hot the bike would shut off. As a temporary fix I threw in a "new" points set, mechanical advance and 5 ohm coil I had laying around in and was back on the road. I've got about 1500 miles on this set up and now I'm starting to have issues where after 5 or so miles the bike will start stumbling and surging with performance degrading until I'm barely limping along. Running at higher RPMS seems to exacerbate the issue. I've bench tested the coil and I'm pulling 5.2 ohms and 18.5k ohms. I double checked the points gap and replaced the condenser. Just in case it was fuel I rebuilt carb. I also double checked the wiring for the points and found no shorts. Being in Vegas and temperatures hitting 105 or so I'm thinking the coil may be getting hot and causing issues but I would like to pick the minds of the forum before I proceed dumping more money into this bike.
    Last edited by Oxblood; 07-26-2015 at 7:35 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

For what its worth... I had a coil that was testing ok but bike was still being a dick. So i put a new coil on and problem solved.

Get Adobe Flash player

I use whatever coil I have lying around with points. You could use the old electronic ignition coil to test since the ignition rather than the coil could have failed, but since it's an unknown and I like to keep spare coils I'd get a fresh one.

What happens when the bike cools off? If the problem is only when the coil is hot then it's likely the coil. Ensure your cap vent isn't plugged of course.

I don't ohm out coils. Much as I enjoy electronic troubleshooting, I swap out coils since a meter doesn't tell the full story.

Get Adobe Flash player

Pretty sure 2000 sportys don't have points from the factory. Sounds like maybe the previous owner changed to points for some reason? I'd just replace the ignition with a newer electronic set up which would be more reliable. I can't provide specifics but some quick googling will show exactly what you'll need as far as an ignition module.

Get Adobe Flash player

This is just a shot in the dark, but I would also just check that your gas tank is venting correctly. I had a similar problem and it turned out my tank was vapor locking, making it seem like the coil got too hot and quit. Just a suggestion for something else to check.

Share This