X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Henri1932
    • Feb 2022

Kickstarter jamming

Hello, I'm new over here..
    Read a few messages and none seems to fit on my problem...
    Got a panhead 4 speed, remove the gear box did a cleaning and change the bushing on fourth gear that's all.. put it back to the bike and now the kick is jamming on the second kick, if I kick for the first time it goes smooth but on the second kick it got stuck... did a few things that I read over here, change the kick gear, the spring on main shaft gear also change the entire cover from other bikes and got no success still jamming... I'm from Brazil and not enough people who works with old bikes over here...
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks
  • JBinNC
    • Dec 2018

Are you sure your third gear lock ring is in place on the mainshaft (and it needs to be a new one; never re-use a third gear lock ring)?

What I'm saying is that the trouble may be in the transmission itself and not the kicker mechanism.

Jim

Comment

• Henri1932
      • Feb 2022

Originally posted by JBinNC
      Are you sure your third gear lock ring is in place on the mainshaft (and it needs to be a new one; never re-use a third gear lock ring)?

What I'm saying is that the trouble may be in the transmission itself and not the kicker mechanism.

Jim
      I didn't change the lock ringer didn't find one, will go after this on Monday... but I tested it without the top cover to see if was catching on the gears and even without the top cover the same thing, first kick go smoothly but when I kick for the second time it jammed on the end... will check the tranny once again and replace the ringer.. the impression that I get it's that when the kicker is returning it got stuck in something.. put a side cover from other shovel to test it and got worst the gears didn't catch properly

Comment

• JBinNC
        • Dec 2018

The cam plate on the kick shaft gear is subject to wear at the ramps on either end. If the kick shaft bushings are worn (and most are) the mainshaft kick gear can bind in the ramps on the cam plate. All this wear is obvious and the trick is to know how much wear you can get away with.

Jim

Comment

• Henri1932
          • Feb 2022

Originally posted by JBinNC
          The cam plate on the kick shaft gear is subject to wear at the ramps on either end. If the kick shaft bushings are worn (and most are) the mainshaft kick gear can bind in the ramps on the cam plate. All this wear is obvious and the trick is to know how much wear you can get away with.

Jim
          The funny thing is that the bushings are worn on the kick shaft from the shovel that I tested, but in the shovel runs greatly and in the panhead got stuck... Will try to test with the main shaft gear and spring that's on the shovel, what do you think?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;