CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
  1. #1
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,328

    Default Cooking on a smoker or grill recipes

    So I was reading in the flag thread and it got a little derailed about cooking so I thought I'd start a thread that sounds cool in my head. I love to cook on the grill and in my smoker. I figure there are some of you other guys that are into it too. Post up your recipes with temp and times if possible.
    I am about to throw 5 trout, a london broil and some jalapeno poppers in my smoker today.
    Here is yesterday's grilled beer can chicken cooked on indirect medium heat while smoking with applewood. Took about an hour and fifteen minutes. Rubbed with cayenne,brown sugar,celery seed,garlic powder and sea salt.
    Before

    After Yum

  2. #2
    Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    79

    Default


    I made some smoked duck sausage one year from all of the trimmings (legs, hearts, breasts,etc) from a good hunting season, about half duck and half pork fat with spices and cheese. It was pretty rad.

    When I have people over and the smoker is going, I always get one of those big bologna logs and cut it up and smoke it for a bit and then cut it into chunks and serve it with bbq sauce as an appetizer while the other meats are still cooking. I used to LOVE firing up the smoker and cracking my first beer at 6:30am for an all day pork butt cookout, makes for a ton of pulled pork sandwiches. I just rub the outside of the pork butts with mustard and whatever bbq spice I am feeling that day. I always smoke pork butt with Hickory. If I have room I'll throw in a couple of beer can chickens, I slather them with olive oil and rub them down with Kick'n Chicken seasoning or some sweet seasoning for people who don't like spicy foods. I carefully peel the skin from the breast by sticking my fingers down the collar and stretching it out so I can pour a lot of spices in between the skin and the meat, then I stretch it back up over the neck hole and pin the skin closed with toothpicks to hold the beer can moisture in.

    For ribs, the best I like doing is a 6 hour method (2 open low smoked to get the flavor, 2 wrapped in foil and heat turned up to get the meat loose, then up to two back open to try and get a crust on the outside), otherwise I'll just smoke them on medium heat for 3 hours if I'm lazy. I used to just rub italian dressing on the ribs and then spices, but I've started rubbing them with hellman's mayo and spices and marinating them overnight and that works pretty well too. It works incredible on chicken breast.

    Fun story: One time this old farm buddy of mine accidentally backed over one of his goats and called me up and offered the half he butchered that was salvageable and we peppered that sucker up and threw it on the smoker and invited people over and holy cow it was the best goat I've ever had. You smoke it low and slow enough and that meat falls right apart too and the oiliness helps keep the meat moist.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 285364_10101059360664702_384589872_n.jpg   317283_10100214852715402_6879381_n.jpg   10177356_10101944953828902_4025480370377234655_n.jpg  
    Last edited by DavoCycle; 07-16-2015 at 10:08 AM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Hell Yes! Some times I get the heat just right, close the lid, hop on the bike take a easy ride for a cold one. If I time it right it looks like this when I get home.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chicken.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	333.3 KB 
ID:	61949Click image for larger version. 

Name:	more chicken.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	313.8 KB 
ID:	61950

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    495

    Default

    I did a smoked meat loaf in my standard weber kettle last night. I love grilling and smoking. I have a couple of different smokers but I use my weber kettle with offset heat more than anything anymore. I like mesquite for beef and apple or pecan wood for poultry. With the internet, grilling and cooking ideas are limitless. I've done a few of those big baloney logs as mentioned above (I call it horsecock) and it always goes over well, not so much with my health conscious wife but the baloney disappears first when riding buddies show up, along with all the beer.

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,580

    Default

    I like to make smoked salsa

    6 Roma tomatoes
    1 small red onion
    I large jalapeņo
    Cut the above into halves (I quarter the onion) and put it on very low indirect heat with lots of smoke, when you can wipe the peel off of the tomato with your finger it's done.

    Huck all that in a blender, add 1 peeled lime and blend the shit out of it. I use garlic salt, coriander seeds and cumin seeds to spice it up a bit, bit I just do it to taste, so there's no real recipe for that part.

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    786

    Default

    I've been getting into my kamado egg grill a lot lately. I'm just learning so i do everything pretty simple. I go by internal temperature, and generally try to smoke around 225, then finish off a bit hotter to dry it out and crust it up a bit. Also usually just do a simple salt/pepper rub with maybe paprika or cayenne, and a bbq sauce mop throughout.

    For wings i mix bacon fat with the bbq sauce and brush that on, then after they are cooked to temp, i let the bacon grease catch fire and flame up the whole grill char the wings a bit.

    Still learning but enjoying as i go.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ribs.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	61951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turkey.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	61952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wings.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	61953

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,328

    Default

    Hell yeah guys keep em coming. Turbonate I may try that salsa. I've never smoked any veggies other than jalapenos.
    Davocycle your shit looks awesome. I have smoked some of the goats we butchered and I agree they turn out stellar!

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,580

    Default

    You'll love it, it's been a hit everytime I've made it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    134

    Default

    I do a salt and pepper rub after trimming a nice fat choice or prime brisket. I smoke it for about 12 hours with wood, I like mesquite. Towards the end, maybe the last 2 hours or so, I wrap it in butcher's paper. It's done when it feels spongy. It goes good with scratch made bbq sauce.




  10. #10
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turbonate View Post
    You'll love it, it's been a hit everytime I've made it.
    Are you smoking it in the smoker or on the grill?

  11. #11
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,580

    Default

    Smoker with an offset fire box, I put them as ft away from the heat as I can get them.

  12. #12
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turbonate View Post
    Smoker with an offset fire box, I put them as ft away from the heat as I can get them.
    Temp?

  13. #13
    Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Fuck. I need to pick up a smoker!

  14. #14
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ksch1232 View Post
    Fuck. I need to pick up a smoker!
    You will not regret it. We just got done eating london broil and jalapeno poppers. I took the smoked trout I did to my parents. All was awesome but I dropped the ball on picks cause I was starving.

  15. #15
    Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramzilla View Post
    You will not regret it. We just got done eating london broil and jalapeno poppers. I took the smoked trout I did to my parents. All was awesome but I dropped the ball on picks cause I was starving.
    any recommendations on brands? Gas or electric? I had a weber smoke n grill that i tried smoking with once but it was pretty tough to maintain temp

  16. #16
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2,328

    Default

    I have a Masterbilt MES30. There are much better more expensive units out there but moving into this electric one from my charcoal smoker is like night and day. I love the digital temp controls and simplicity of the electric.

  17. #17
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    425

    Default

    Love this. I got a smoker and grill that were made from old hot water heaters. Look on craigslist freebie section you will see them all the time that people are getting rid of because of water leaks. Propane or natural gas smokers are easy, but I mainly use mesquite, as I have a mesquite tree growing right next to my house, so I trim it and set the branches and such aside and use them for smoking. The grill I use most was made from the tank of a hot water heater that was made in the 1920's (from what I was told.) Idea of building my own grill came from an episode of "The Red Green Show" where he made a "bathecue" from a couple of old cast iron bathtubs and shower fittings. Watched it and thought his technique is kinda fucked, but with some modifications, that could work. Few years later a friend who was remodeling her 1960's trailer home had a bathtub she asked if I wanted. I, of course, replied "hell, yeah." I attached a couple of the grills and smokers I have made. Also, technique for smoked ribs I tried that worked great, the 3-2-1 method. For prep, cover ribs in rub of your choice, and let sit in refrigerator overnight. Next day, cook the ribs on a smoker at about 220 degrees on an open grate for 3 hours. After the three hours is up, put the ribs in foil and completely cover them. At this stage, when I tried this, I put a mixture of orange and lemon juice (basically two 10-12 oz bottles, one of each) in with the ribs in the foil. Put it in the smoker (same temp) for two hours, then take the foil off the top of the ribs (leave sitting in juice with sides and bottom in foil and cook like this for an hour. Most tender ribs I have ever had, and the orange juice mixed with the smoke flavor comes out great. Don't have any pictures from food and such, but got a couple of pictures of smokers I have built.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grillphoto01.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	322.5 KB 
ID:	61960Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grillphoto03.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	306.5 KB 
ID:	61961Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grillphoto04.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	315.3 KB 
ID:	61962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grillphoto05.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	61963Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grillphoto06.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	291.0 KB 
ID:	61964

  18. #18
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramzilla View Post
    Temp?
    Not sure, mine had a guage that read "cold, warm, hot" I keep it pretty cool, the guage runs in the lower part of warm. I basically get a good bed of coals going, then pile a bunch of soaked wood on top of that and close the vents way down.

  19. #19
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WillSCB View Post
    Love this. I got a smoker and grill that were made from old hot water heaters. Look on craigslist freebie section you will see them all the time that people are getting rid of because of water leaks. Propane or natural gas smokers are easy, but I mainly use mesquite, as I have a mesquite tree growing right next to my house, so I trim it and set the branches and such aside and use them for smoking. The grill I use most was made from the tank of a hot water heater that was made in the 1920's (from what I was told.) Idea of building my own grill came from an episode of "The Red Green Show" where he made a "bathecue" from a couple of old cast iron bathtubs and shower fittings. Watched it and thought his technique is kinda fucked, but with some modifications, that could work. Few years later a friend who was remodeling her 1960's trailer home had a bathtub she asked if I wanted. I, of course, replied "hell, yeah." I attached a couple of the grills and smokers I have made. Also, technique for smoked ribs I tried that worked great, the 3-2-1 method. For prep, cover ribs in rub of your choice, and let sit in refrigerator overnight. Next day, cook the ribs on a smoker at about 220 degrees on an open grate for 3 hours. After the three hours is up, put the ribs in foil and completely cover them. At this stage, when I tried this, I put a mixture of orange and lemon juice (basically two 10-12 oz bottles, one of each) in with the ribs in the foil. Put it in the smoker (same temp) for two hours, then take the foil off the top of the ribs (leave sitting in juice with sides and bottom in foil and cook like this for an hour. Most tender ribs I have ever had, and the orange juice mixed with the smoke flavor comes out great. Don't have any pictures from food and such, but got a couple of pictures of smokers I have built.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grillphoto01.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	322.5 KB 
ID:	61960Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grillphoto03.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	306.5 KB 
ID:	61961Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grillphoto04.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	315.3 KB 
ID:	61962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grillphoto05.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	61963Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grillphoto06.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	291.0 KB 
ID:	61964
    That batheque is gangster as hell

  20. #20
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,457

    Default

    A friend likes cooking over a pit but is too lazy to turn a spit so he built this solar powered double spit The cord was strung out incase of heavy clouds but we never needed it.
     photo IMG00003_zpshy7ua1ea.jpg photo IMG00004_zpsofzc0ccd.jpg
    Dusty

Share This



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in