Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ramzilla
    • Oct 2013

Cooking on a smoker or grill recipes

So I was reading in the flag thread and it got a little derailed about cooking so I thought I'd start a thread that sounds cool in my head. I love to cook on the grill and in my smoker. I figure there are some of you other guys that are into it too. Post up your recipes with temp and times if possible.
    I am about to throw 5 trout, a london broil and some jalapeno poppers in my smoker today.
    Here is yesterday's grilled beer can chicken cooked on indirect medium heat while smoking with applewood. Took about an hour and fifteen minutes. Rubbed with cayenne,brown sugar,celery seed,garlic powder and sea salt.
    Before

After Yum
  • DavoCycle
    • Sep 2014

I made some smoked duck sausage one year from all of the trimmings (legs, hearts, breasts,etc) from a good hunting season, about half duck and half pork fat with spices and cheese. It was pretty rad.

When I have people over and the smoker is going, I always get one of those big bologna logs and cut it up and smoke it for a bit and then cut it into chunks and serve it with bbq sauce as an appetizer while the other meats are still cooking. I used to LOVE firing up the smoker and cracking my first beer at 6:30am for an all day pork butt cookout, makes for a ton of pulled pork sandwiches. I just rub the outside of the pork butts with mustard and whatever bbq spice I am feeling that day. I always smoke pork butt with Hickory. If I have room I'll throw in a couple of beer can chickens, I slather them with olive oil and rub them down with Kick'n Chicken seasoning or some sweet seasoning for people who don't like spicy foods. I carefully peel the skin from the breast by sticking my fingers down the collar and stretching it out so I can pour a lot of spices in between the skin and the meat, then I stretch it back up over the neck hole and pin the skin closed with toothpicks to hold the beer can moisture in.

For ribs, the best I like doing is a 6 hour method (2 open low smoked to get the flavor, 2 wrapped in foil and heat turned up to get the meat loose, then up to two back open to try and get a crust on the outside), otherwise I'll just smoke them on medium heat for 3 hours if I'm lazy. I used to just rub italian dressing on the ribs and then spices, but I've started rubbing them with hellman's mayo and spices and marinating them overnight and that works pretty well too. It works incredible on chicken breast.

Fun story: One time this old farm buddy of mine accidentally backed over one of his goats and called me up and offered the half he butchered that was salvageable and we peppered that sucker up and threw it on the smoker and invited people over and holy cow it was the best goat I've ever had. You smoke it low and slow enough and that meat falls right apart too and the oiliness helps keep the meat moist.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DavoCycle; 07-16-2015, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• BigWilly
      • Dec 2010

Hell Yes! Some times I get the heat just right, close the lid, hop on the bike take a easy ride for a cold one. If I time it right it looks like this when I get home.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	chicken.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	333.3 KB
ID:	1284326Click image for larger version

Name:	more chicken.jpg
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	1284327

Comment

• KevinN
        • May 2014

I did a smoked meat loaf in my standard weber kettle last night. I love grilling and smoking. I have a couple of different smokers but I use my weber kettle with offset heat more than anything anymore. I like mesquite for beef and apple or pecan wood for poultry. With the internet, grilling and cooking ideas are limitless. I've done a few of those big baloney logs as mentioned above (I call it horsecock) and it always goes over well, not so much with my health conscious wife but the baloney disappears first when riding buddies show up, along with all the beer.

Comment

• turbonate
          • Sep 2010

I like to make smoked salsa

6 Roma tomatoes
          1 small red onion
          I large jalapeño
          Cut the above into halves (I quarter the onion) and put it on very low indirect heat with lots of smoke, when you can wipe the peel off of the tomato with your finger it's done.

Huck all that in a blender, add 1 peeled lime and blend the shit out of it. I use garlic salt, coriander seeds and cumin seeds to spice it up a bit, bit I just do it to taste, so there's no real recipe for that part.

Comment

• hillakilla
            • Apr 2011

I've been getting into my kamado egg grill a lot lately. I'm just learning so i do everything pretty simple. I go by internal temperature, and generally try to smoke around 225, then finish off a bit hotter to dry it out and crust it up a bit. Also usually just do a simple salt/pepper rub with maybe paprika or cayenne, and a bbq sauce mop throughout.

For wings i mix bacon fat with the bbq sauce and brush that on, then after they are cooked to temp, i let the bacon grease catch fire and flame up the whole grill char the wings a bit.

Still learning but enjoying as i go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ribs.jpg
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1284328Click image for larger version

Name:	turkey.jpg
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1284329Click image for larger version

Name:	wings.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1284330

Comment

• Ramzilla
              • Oct 2013

Hell yeah guys keep em coming. Turbonate I may try that salsa. I've never smoked any veggies other than jalapenos.
              Davocycle your shit looks awesome. I have smoked some of the goats we butchered and I agree they turn out stellar!

Comment

• turbonate
                • Sep 2010

You'll love it, it's been a hit everytime I've made it.

Comment

• SpookyCC
                  • Sep 2013

I do a salt and pepper rub after trimming a nice fat choice or prime brisket. I smoke it for about 12 hours with wood, I like mesquite. Towards the end, maybe the last 2 hours or so, I wrap it in butcher's paper. It's done when it feels spongy. It goes good with scratch made bbq sauce.

Comment

• Ramzilla
                    • Oct 2013

Originally posted by turbonate
                    You'll love it, it's been a hit everytime I've made it.
                    Are you smoking it in the smoker or on the grill?

Comment

• turbonate
                      • Sep 2010

Smoker with an offset fire box, I put them as ft away from the heat as I can get them.

Comment

• Ramzilla
                        • Oct 2013

Originally posted by turbonate
                        Smoker with an offset fire box, I put them as ft away from the heat as I can get them.
                        Temp?

Comment

• Ksch1232
                          • Feb 2013

Fuck. I need to pick up a smoker!

Comment

• Ramzilla
                            • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Ksch1232
                            Fuck. I need to pick up a smoker!
                            You will not regret it. We just got done eating london broil and jalapeno poppers. I took the smoked trout I did to my parents. All was awesome but I dropped the ball on picks cause I was starving.

Comment

• Ksch1232
                              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Ramzilla
                              You will not regret it. We just got done eating london broil and jalapeno poppers. I took the smoked trout I did to my parents. All was awesome but I dropped the ball on picks cause I was starving.
                              any recommendations on brands? Gas or electric? I had a weber smoke n grill that i tried smoking with once but it was pretty tough to maintain temp

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...