Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Knuckleduster
    • Mar 2024

Originally posted by Ramzilla
    Does it taste any different than cooking in an actual oven?
    Yes, there is a rather unusual smoke flavoring throughout the entire cake,....smoked cake.

Comment

• Ramzilla
      • Oct 2013

Cool I might try it.

Comment

• Ramzilla
        • Oct 2013

Originally posted by eroticjesus
        Hmm, sure.
        Well, let's tackle curing and smoking. Or really, brining and smoking. I'll tell ya, otherthan a steak a good corned beef, or pastrami can really make a meal.

I'll try to make this one shorter... mostly because cook times and specific cures/rubs are fun to experiment with, so consider this an overview.
        Again, we start with the meat. Head to your butcher and get yourself the entire brisket. Yes, the entire brisket. You won't be sorry. I usually end up somewhere in the 8-12 pound range for a brisket. I trim t so that there is around .5-.75” of fat.. Sometimes less.
        Now it gets crazy.. Freeze your brisket overnight. I know weird, but really it helps with the brining. Make sure when you freeze it, you set it up in a way that will allow it to fit in your bucket frozen solid.
        Next, you’ll want a 5 gallon food safe bucket. I have a few, I prefer the ones with the screw tops just because they are easier to deal with once something is inside them.
        Next, make your brine.
        I use….generally, 12 quarts water, 4 cup kosher salt, 8 tablespoons saltpeter, 6 cinnamon stick, broken into several pieces, 6 Table spoons mustard seeds, 6 tablespoon black peppercorns, 1 large handful whole cloves, 1 large handful whole allspice berries, 1 large handful crumbled bay leaves, 5 teaspoon ground ginger, 4 onions, quartered, 3 large carrot, coarsely chopped, 3 stalk celery, coarsely chopped. A lot of people use either honey or brown sugar as well. I don’t.. but that’s preference.
        I bring the water to boil, dissolve the salt s, then let it cool to room temp.
        Place brisket in bucket. Pour cool brine over frozen brisket, and park in your refrigerator for 10-12 days.

Congratulations, you just made a corned beef. You can cook it, and slice it, boil it and serve with cabbage and potatoes for some Micks, whatever…Or…
        You can take the freshly corned beef and put it in a bucket of cold fresh water overnight..to take the really briney salty taste out, then mix up 12 tablespoons fresh coarsely ground black pepper, 6 tablespoons coriander powder, 3 teaspoon mustard powder, 3 tablespoon brown sugar, 5 tablespoon hot paprika, 8 teaspoons garlic powder, 8 teaspoons onion powder.
        Coat the meat with olive oil and spread the rub very liberally. There should be no rub left and the meat should be completely covered. At this point, I let it sit for another 8ish hours covered in the fridge to let the oil get the rub to stick better.
        Now, I use an indirect smoke.
        I have a barrel grill with a side smoker, so I put the brisket as far away from the heat source as possible, and baby sit the thing to keep the temp between 160 and 175 degrees. Wood is like engine oil, or spark plugs, pick whatever you like the best.
        I try not to go longer than 4-5 hours, because after that the fat gets melted so much that it never seems to slice right.
        Once smoked, I refrigerate for another 10ish hours, then I use my bamboo steamer to heat it up, slice it thick and boom.. the best pastrami you’ll ever had.
        I make corned venison in a similar manner and then can it. Open said can and place some meat on a piece of toast with a little provolone on top. Put in oven until cheese is melted. Makes an outstanding open faced sammich.

Comment

• loddytoddy
          • Jul 2014

last night I fired up the grill and while that was getting ready I took two swordfish steaks and drizzled olive oil on tinfoil laid the steaks over the tinfoil sprinkled sea salt, lots of pepper, sliced up a lemon and placed them on top of the swordfish and on top of the lemons I chopped up some kale and placed tossed them in there.
          a little butter on top of that. and more pepper. wrapped everything up in to a tinfoil hot pocket and tossed that on the grill.. 8 minutes on one side and flipped the packet and cooked for another 8 minutes.
          I thought the kale would take on a fish taste when in fact it got lemon infused. so I had myself lemon infused kale over a thick peppered swordfish steak

this is the left over steak I'm gonna heat up tonight and munch..

Comment

• eroticjesus
            • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Ramzilla
            I make corned venison in a similar manner and then can it. Open said can and place some meat on a piece of toast with a little provolone on top. Put in oven until cheese is melted. Makes an outstanding open faced sammich.
            I don't get a lot of time to hunt, and I sometimes don't even get one a season...But a good friend just picked up some acerage with a healthy deer population.
            We plan to murder a hell of a lot of meat this year. I've never done a corned venison....
            And now I need to make venison pastrami.

Comment

• Ramzilla
              • Oct 2013

Originally posted by eroticjesus
              I don't get a lot of time to hunt, and I sometimes don't even get one a season...But a good friend just picked up some acerage with a healthy deer population.
              We plan to murder a hell of a lot of meat this year. I've never done a corned venison....
              And now I need to make venison pastrami.
              It is spectacular. My favorite way to can it.

Comment

• Ramzilla
                • Oct 2013

Originally posted by loddytoddy
                last night I fired up the grill and while that was getting ready I took two swordfish steaks and drizzled olive oil on tinfoil laid the steaks over the tinfoil sprinkled sea salt, lots of pepper, sliced up a lemon and placed them on top of the swordfish and on top of the lemons I chopped up some kale and placed tossed them in there.
                a little butter on top of that. and more pepper. wrapped everything up in to a tinfoil hot pocket and tossed that on the grill.. 8 minutes on one side and flipped the packet and cooked for another 8 minutes.
                I thought the kale would take on a fish taste when in fact it got lemon infused. so I had myself lemon infused kale over a thick peppered swordfish steak

this is the left over steak I'm gonna heat up tonight and munch..
                Dude that sounds good as hell. I love swordfish but it's hard for me to get fresh unless we go deep sea fishing.

Comment

• Nottso
                  • Apr 2012

I'm less than $300 into my UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker). Many are built for around 175 to 200 but I added a number of my own tricks. I have 5 cooking grates total that are adjustable in height via pilasters and clips and all hardware is stainless. I burn only lump charcoal and a full basket will hold 225 degrees for about 16 hours, damn near as steady as an electric. I'm shocked at how well it holds temperature. I threw away my old offset after the first couple of cooks on the UDS. I have a couple of other barrels here to build a "tee" shaped UDS next. If you Google UDS you'll find all kinds of plans online. Well worth the effort.

The Univac looking fucker to the right is a "Barbecook" charcoal grill from Belgium. It's all stainless and over 15 years old. It uses no lighter fluid at all. You simply put 2 pieces of newspaper in the center leg/chimney, light it off and 15 minutes later you're ready to cook. I also use only lump charcoal in it. This thing was like 900 bucks way-back-when but I bought it on eBay for $76 brand new in the box. Possibly the best thing I ever bought. It took some getting used to as it burns crazy hot with very little charcoal but once i got dialed into it, it has been great.

One or the other of the 2, and sometimes both, are running nearly every single day, year-round. I make all my own rubs and sauces. It keeps me outta the taverns.

Comment

• Ramzilla
                    • Oct 2013

Nottso how about divulging some of those rub and sauces recipes?

Comment

• Nottso
                      • Apr 2012

Ram,

I will but the last few days have been insane as will the next few. Country Thunder aka "Hillbilly Fest" starts tomorrow and runs through Sunday. It's the world's largest country music festival and it takes place 1/4 mile from my driveway. It's the biggest pain in the ass on Earth. The only redeeming factor is that I can fit a LOT of cars on our place at $10 per car per day.

Any of you single cats in the Northern Illinois/Southeastern Wisconsin area might wanna check this shit out, though. Even the most hideous of chuds can get their little dinky stinky at this deal.

Comment

• 53rigid
                        • Mar 2010

I love grilling out as well, but all of you surpassed me in the meat department, here is my recipe for Italian taters on the grill

4-5 medium to large sized taters
                        fresh garlic
                        1 stick of butter
                        olive oil
                        salt and pepper
                        Italian seasoning (the little shaker version you find in stores)
                        1/2 of miller lite (or whatever you want)

Place the stick of butter on top of some aluminum foil, slice the taters up thin and put over the top of the butter. Put as much or as little as you want of the olive oil on top. season with salt, pepper and the italian seasoning to your preference, cut up and add the fresh garlic cloves and top it off with some beer. Close it up and let her rip for about 30-40 minutes on the top rack of your grill or until the taters are nice and soft. Enjoy!

Comment

• Ramzilla
                          • Oct 2013

Originally posted by 53rigid
                          I love grilling out as well, but all of you surpassed me in the meat department, here is my recipe for Italian taters on the grill

4-5 medium to large sized taters
                          fresh garlic
                          1 stick of butter
                          olive oil
                          salt and pepper
                          Italian seasoning (the little shaker version you find in stores)
                          1/2 of miller lite (or whatever you want)

Place the stick of butter on top of some aluminum foil, slice the taters up thin and put over the top of the butter. Put as much or as little as you want of the olive oil on top. season with salt, pepper and the italian seasoning to your preference, cut up and add the fresh garlic cloves and top it off with some beer. Close it up and let her rip for about 30-40 minutes on the top rack of your grill or until the taters are nice and soft. Enjoy!
                          I love taters and this sounds spectacular and easy (I am starving though) Gonna try this one. Keep this shit up guys I know there are recipes everywhere but I would rather try shit that like minded folks who don't keep fresh whatever the fuck, sherry and caviar in their house. Cooking with beer and aluminum foil? Fuck yeah I got that shit.

Comment

• derekd403
                            • Jan 2012

I like to throw ribs on the grill after a generous rub of salt, pepper, cayenne, chili powder, brown sugar, granulated garlic, and ginger. Blast them on high heat for 5-8 mins on each side to develop a crust, wrap them in Saran Wrap and foil and toss back on for 2 hours. Sometimes I eat them right away with a Faygo rock-n-rye BBQ sauce, or sometimes I let them sit over night, take them out of the fridge, cut them into 2 piece sections. Toss in cornstarch and flour then deep fry hot. Then toss in BBQ sauce.

Now what is good is to cook your protein (meat, pork, poultry, etc) in a sous vide water setup to get a nice maintained temperature and flavor, then blast on a charcoal grill to get the smoke flavor and Char. I cobbled this setup together for $50 and it made the best Christmas turkey I've ever made

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	1284512

Comment

• ContractKiller
                              • Feb 2012

I don't have a smoker but I like to grill. I don't care for most BBQ sauces but I use a lot of marinades. One of my favorites for chicken:

Two cups of orange juice, about a cup of dark rum, brown sugar, salt and pepper, bit of soy sauce, some crushed garlic and chopped Scotch Bonnet. I play with the amounts but it's a good combination for something sweet and spicy.

Comment

• Nottso
                                • Apr 2012

"Mean Jean" is my buddy's mom. A few years ago, I made a couple gallons of my sauce for her 80th birthday bash and we bottled a bunch of it for table use, labeling it "Mean Jean BBQ Sauce." Please feel free to use and share the recipe anywhere you'd like, but please keep the "Mean Jean" name attached to it.

Mean Jean BBQ Sauce

Ingredients

1 can Redd's Apple Ale- if not available in your area use Miller High Life
                                3 cups ketchup
                                1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
                                1 cup honey
                                3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
                                1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
                                4 Tbsp molasses
                                2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
                                1 Tbsp mild chili powder
                                1 Tbsp paprika
                                1 Tbsp dried mustard
                                1 Tbsp ground celery seed
                                1 Tbsp onion powder
                                1 Tbsp garlic powder
                                1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
                                1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Preparation

In a large pot, whisk together all ingredients and bring to a boil at high heat, stirring occasionally.
                                Reduce heat and simmer uncovered to thicken (approximately 20 minutes), stirring occasionally.

Notes

Sauce will be sweet with just a little heat at the end. For just a little more real subtle heat, substitute hot chili powder for mild chili powder. For more "direct" heat, use 1 tsp cayenne instead of 1/2 tsp.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;