CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by boomboomthump View Post

The hone is a 280. He found some honing grit (unless it's from the rings breaking in?), so perhaps I didn't do a thorough job cleaning them. I cleaned them multiple times with brake cleaner until I didn't see any residue on them when wiping clean but perhaps I didn't do a good enough job.

The hone pattern don't look all that bad in this photo

A good way to go about getting all the honing juice out of the crosshatch is Hot, Soapy water, then with a clean (lint free) rag with motor oil on it clean the bore....
    The oil rag should be used a number of times going to a clean area of the rag each time...

One thing that I do see in this photo is the amount of piston scuffing in the thrust area of the jug....
    With no more miles than you put on it, does look to be excessive.....

Are you running an restrictor on the pinion shaft..???
    Limiting the oil flow to the rods....???
    Last edited by Dragstews; 07-01-2015 at 10:12 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

To be honest I don't know. I didn't even know such a thing existed until well after I put my cam chest together months ago. It came up in a thread over on shovelhead.us and folks were discussing restrictors of different size in the pinion shaft or running wide open etc and some of the theories around the pro's/con's of it.

I had made a mental note to look at mine when the time comes to re-open the cam chest.

Get Adobe Flash player

Looks like maybe that grit you found scuffed the thrust faces, but the scoring stops at the bottom oil ring....

Makes me wonder if it came out of the bottom end, did you split cases, or just do the top end? Oil lines, oil tank, and used oil coolers are all notorious for holding debris from past engine failures.

Get Adobe Flash player

That one looks pretty clean on that side but I did notice a handful of marks around the compression rings as well. Now that you mention that, it makes me wonder too.

It was only a top end rebuild, so I didn't split the cases. The oil tank is new and was washed and blown out. The oil lines are SS hard lines I made which were also washed, de-burred and blown out. No oil cooler. Do have an external oil filter which got the similar treatment (the mount, not the filter itself).

Get Adobe Flash player

Hi guys, sorry to return to the subject, the same thing is happening to me,
    boomboom thump, in the end it was,
    I can not understand that new S & S cylinder heads have problems with the valve seals

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by PanShovelhead5179 View Post
    Hi guys, sorry to return to the subject, the same thing is happening to me,
    boomboom thump, in the end it was,
    I can not understand that new S & S cylinder heads have problems with the valve seals
    I have the exact same setup and problem, after 3 tear downs and finally finding an expert shovelhead mech it is discovered that S&S has fucked us with shitty seals (they admitted it) my mech is receiving newly designed seals from S&S next week. If that doesnít fix the problem Iím getting a lawyer and have him shove the new heads up S&Sís ass

Get Adobe Flash player

Keep us posted. There are signs S&S quality is slipping but they sell enough not to care. If you have snail correspondence or emails stating they fucked up PLEASE post them as attached .docs or .pdfs. Companies that famous, like Harley itself, don't really have any accountability. They are just names run by suits now that the founders are long dead.

SamHain

As mentioned earlier in here.... this sounds like a bigger problem than seals.

You shouldn’t be seeing oil past fresh valves/guides.

Get Adobe Flash player

I am seriously suspicious about the materials of these new heads and where they are made. I’m beginning to think heat is causing low standard metals to expand or contract causing oil leakage past guides

If you have a head where the guide is fitted with not enough press (interference fit), it can loosen when the motor is hot, and cause oil to leak between guide and head, and into the port. The same thing will happen if the hole in the head is scored when guides are replaced, and does occur on many HD heads that have had guide replacement.
    There is anecdotal evidence of quality control problems at S&S, but for the most part, it is just anecdotal, and does not seem to be the norm. It is sad, in any event, that a once great company appears to be slipping into the mediocre habits of our 21st century times.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Keep us posted. There are signs S&S quality is slipping but they sell enough not to care. If you have snail correspondence or emails stating they fucked up PLEASE post them as attached .docs or .pdfs. Companies that famous, like Harley itself, don't really have any accountability. They are just names run by suits now that the founders are long dead.
    The heros of my youth were people like Henry Ford, Thomas Edison, the Dodge Brothers, Westinghouse, Firestone, etc. For all their faults, they were inventive and driven souls that PRODUCED. In the motorcycle community, the Davidsons and Harley, Hedstrom, Tom Sifton, George Smith, and many others I can't think of now have really advanced the development of motorcycles.Their like are seldom seen today. Some may point to Steve Jobs or Bill Gates, and that's fair, but to me it's just not the same somehow.

Jim

Get Adobe Flash player

Mechanic installed the new improved seals sent him from S&S tech support which was supposed to fix the oil problem. It worked @ 400 miles or at least reduced oil from fouling plugs that long. Now plugs have burnt oil piling up, I removed my heads and discovered huge amount of baked on oil on top of both pistons.
    The mechanic that did the seal change now refuses to repair my new S&S heads, I asked him to replace the guides and valves when he had it apart -he refused and now ignores my calls and messages (B&B in New Orleans)
    I have sent my heads to Flo Works in Oceana CA. Will let y’all know how it works when I get heads on and running
    Last edited by jonjon; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:32 AM. Reason: Na

Share This