X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • outaoffice
    • Jun 2015

VStar 650 S&S Carb/fuel pump question

Hi Guys,

I am starting a few projects on my wifes bike, its a 2014 Vstar 650. The first thing to go will be the twin carbs.

I was looking at an S&S Carb option for simplicity and the fact that there are some great bolt on air cleaner options.

But the one piece of info I have not been able to find is if the guys that have made the mod keep the fuel pump feeding the carb or not?

Has any of you builders/tinkers got some thoughts on the best way forward.

Thanks heaps, John.
  • Sky
    • Aug 2009

The S&S needs only gravity feed pressure.
    I guess the pump is only necessary when the float level is above the petcock level. So where is your fuel tank?

Comment

• outaoffice
      • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Sky
      The S&S needs only gravity feed pressure.
      I guess the pump is only necessary when the float level is above the petcock level. So where is your fuel tank?
      thanks Sky,

I will be running the standard tank. Standard they would be pretty level, but with the Super E, the carb would be below the fuel tap.

I was hoping the leave the fuel pump in place as I really don't know if the tank cap if pressurized or not. But if it's not needed that does make the whole setup that little bit less complicated.

The other concern I had was that the fuel pump pressure might be two great for the Super E float and needle.

thanks again, John.

Comment

• Sky
        • Aug 2009

Yup, just make sure the tank is vented somehow and ditch that pump.
        If you really want to keep it make sure the regulator keeps it around like, three psi. Maybe up to five psi? That's roughly equivalent to atmospheric/gravity fuel pressures.

Comment

• outaoffice
          • Jun 2015

Thanks Sky,

I guess that is the magic number, 3 to 5 psi. it would also take out the need to run a modified fuel cap.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

John.

Comment

• 21guns
            • May 2012

Pretty sure the caps are vented though mate

Comment

• outaoffice
              • Jun 2015

Cheers Guys,

I have been battling a flat off idle low rev high load condition that wasn't there when we bought the bike. But once we added the new pipes it was.

Working the jets on the twin carbs is not fun at all. So a single is what I thought I would do, plus the filter options are endless for the S&S.

Up side, if the S&S is no good on the 650, I can always use it on my 1100.

John.

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

A Super is a bit large for such a small displacement but a single Harley CV carb may work decently and give more low and midrange. It's easy to sell an S&S to fund other carbs too.

Comment

• outaoffice
                  • Jun 2015

Originally posted by farmall
                  A Super is a bit large for such a small displacement but a single Harley CV carb may work decently and give more low and midrange. It's easy to sell an S&S to fund other carbs too.
                  Hi Farmall,

I have to agree on the S&S, that is the main reason I haven't purchased one yet. they are about the same price in Aus as they are in the U.S with delivery.

My gut feel is that the 40mm is more on the mark for size. The goal is to give my wife a crisp bottom end, the s&s at 47mm will do the complete opposite.

thanks for you thoughts and advised, it is all greatly appreciated.

john.

Comment

• outaoffice
                    • Jun 2015

Hi guys,

I decided to make my own intake manifold to get the look I was after.

Went the 33mm TM flat slide Mikuni. Dropped the TPS for a MAP sensor. The map sensor used was a WRX OEM unit, the wiring and plug are the same. The out put signal appears to be the same. Works great.

Extended the internal throttle cables so the routing of the cables was factory.

I know, not pure Chop Cult, I like to make changes that look factory but at a closer look makes you look twice.

John.

Click image for larger version

Name:	manifolf side.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1284508

Name:	manifolf top.JPG
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1284509

Name:	manifold fitted.JPG
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	1284510

Name:	wrinkle paint.JPG
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1284511

Comment

• 21guns
                      • May 2012

If your up for making another id be willing to pay mate. Im not allowed to work on my bike at my workplace anymore haha.

Comment

• farmall
                        • Apr 2013

I know, not pure Chop Cult, I like to make changes that look factory but at a closer look makes you look twice.
                        That's even better than crude chobbery and you did a tidy job. How well does it run?

The goal is to give my wife a crisp bottom end.
                        Make sure you NEVER criticize their current bottom end! Women never forget the slightest mention of the most trivial imperfections and they will make sure YOU never forget they never forgot!

Comment

• outaoffice
                          • Jun 2015

That's funny Farmall. how does it run, wow would be the word to best describe the difference.

Very strong off idle and rolls on through to 100MPH. I haven't even got the open pipes back on yet.

The next task is the air cleaner, the Arlen Ness unit turned up yesterday. I will need to make a new backing plate to get the air cleaner as tight as possible to the engine. My wife is only 5ftand short legs have troubles reaching the back brake and going around the air cleaner. I may even look at making a foam filter element that is only I inch deep to really cut down the width.

21guns, that intake took over 30 hours to make, I would like to redo it in the future in stainless steel. if I do, I will make two. The first one was trial and error but bade it work in the end, hence making it out of mild steel. it was easy to cut and shut to get it right. hours on the grinder and file to smooth it out.

john.

Comment

• Luke2
                            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by outaoffice
                            Hi guys,

I decided to make my own intake manifold to get the look I was after.

Went the 33mm TM flat slide Mikuni. Dropped the TPS for a MAP sensor. The map sensor used was a WRX OEM unit, the wiring and plug are the same. The out put signal appears to be the same. Works great.

Extended the internal throttle cables so the routing of the cables was factory.

John.
                            Hey, i made a single carb manifold as well but went with the cv40 carb. Exactly what map sensor did you use and how did you hook it up? I dont have an extra tps to use so i was going to go with a voes. Maybe this would work better.

Thanks

Comment

• outaoffice
                              • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Luke2
                              Hey, i made a single carb manifold as well but went with the cv40 carb. Exactly what map sensor did you use and how did you hook it up? I dont have an extra tps to use so i was going to go with a voes. Maybe this would work better.

Thanks
                              hi, Sorry about the delay.

Work and working on the bike has been hectic.

Finally finished the air cleaner today, major effort and gained as much room as possible. my wife is only 5ft tall, getting a leg around the air cleaner and using the back brake was proving to be a stretch.

All fixed now.

Ok, MAP sensor, that was off a WRX 2009 model 3 bar standard sensor. the fitting is the same as the VStar TPS connector and the pin out the same. Could not have been easier if I tried, it plugs straight in. Adding a baffle can would be better to reduce the heart beat of the v-twin in the vacuum line. But for now the bike feels great so it can stay.

John.

Name:	001.JPG
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	1284776

Name:	002.JPG
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1284777