CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default slow and knocking flywheel on Evo

Thinking about picking up this '96 Evo Basket motor. Other than sitting it all looks solid other than the crank/flywheel, which has a super loose side-to-side action on the front rod. it all turns but has more resistance than I am comfortable with. How pricey are the rebuilds on these and even better, can I get a replacement for a decent price? Don't want to end up with a Lemon, no matter how fair the price.

I wouldn't get that basket case motor, especially with the signs you have mentioned. You have no clue not only what is needed in the bottom end, but how about the top end? Take a look at bottom end rebuild cost alone (labor/parts) and you might agree. Then the entire top end most likely does as well. And who knows what parts are missing = more costs. I have yet also to see any basket case that has every part. Keep your eye on Craigslist, ebay, etc, for used evo motors. Youll find one that you can actually inspect that is together. You will save $$$ and aggravation in the long run over a basket case

Get Adobe Flash player

Examine the area where the studs go into the case behind the lifters; there's not much meat for the studs go into. A fuckload of them crack there.

Get Adobe Flash player

The best way to get an Evo is as a running used motorcycle after riding season is over. You already list one project bike. I suggest finishing it and if you don't care for it flip it for HD money. Adding projects bleeds money from other projects or more useful stuff like tool and equipment purchases.

Building an Evo from a basket engine is typically a hideously bad idea (unless you have mounds of parts to use up or bros with parts who will give them to you and one of those parts is a titled frame) while getting a complete motorcycle with a title gets you much more to work with.

For what it costs to rebuild a basket Evo you could buy and ride a used Sportster or be most of the way to a used Evo or Shovel.

You were wise to ask here. Happy hunting.

Share This