Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheMainMuel
    • Oct 2010

Vingo Star - V Star 1100

As much as I love my XS400, I've been wanting something a little bigger. But having three kids, I can't afford to buy one that is ready to ride. I came across a wrecked V Star 1100 on CL. It was pretty trashed, but the motor is still good, so I purchased it (site unseen) and had it shipped. I got it today and it looks like he let someone pick through it and take a bunch of parts off. I already knew someone took the front end, but I wasn't aware of everything else. It's missing quite a bit. I hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew . . .

• TheMainMuel
    • Oct 2010

Not sure yet if the frame is straight, but someone cut the neck off and bought the title. Wondering if it would be better to find a titled frame or title this as "Special Construction". Anyone been through that process? I wanted to modify the frame anyway so if I did find another frame I would just be chopping it up. Also, having a 1 inch neck would give me a broader range of front end options. I would love to get a springer, but I can't afford a real one, so I would be limited to DNA (I know, I know) or Moto Iron.

Comment

• TheMainMuel
      • Oct 2010

I got it stripped down and the frame is quite far from straight. Even the swingarm seems to be twisted. I talked to a friend that builds frames and he recommends selling the motor and rear wheel and finding a better one. Not that surprised, just disappointed.

A friend of mine offered me a great deal on his 02 Sportster. I've been a fan of Jap bikes from day 1, but his bike is like new with only 11,000 miles on it. And it comes with a clean title . I hate to give up on a build at the start, but it's a tempting offer.

Comment

• OleDirtyDoc
        • Jul 2013

The sporty would be done quicker...lotsa aftermarket...but I love the star motor...

Comment

• TheMainMuel
          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by OleDirtyDoc
          ... I love the star motor...
          Yeah, I do too. I've been wanting to build one for years. That's probably why I was somewhat impulsive in making the purchase. But your right, the Sporty would be a much easier build.

Comment

• TheMainMuel
            • Oct 2010

I ended up selling the motor and starting over. I found another 1100 and am giving Vingo another shot. For the most part, this one is in decent shape but it's going to need quite a bit of work to make it roadworthy again. It'll start, but won't stay running. It shot a pretty big ball of fire out the tailpipe of the front cylinder. Carbs are leaking like a sieve and the fireball makes me think the valves need some work. It won't shift into first, it's missing some odds and ends, the front brakes don't work at all and there are some apparent wiring issues. Other that it's fine, haha.

Comment

• billybiltit
              • Aug 2009

can't wait see whatcha do with it.
              keep us posted,

leon

Comment

• TheMainMuel
                • Oct 2010

Will do, thanks!

Comment

• TheMainMuel
                  • Oct 2010

I did some part swapping with a friend of mine who has a front end from a V Star 650 Classic. Top tree is the same, but the bottom tree from the Classic is different from the Custom. Got the "new" front end mounted up.

Found some scrap aluminum I was able to bend up to make a headlight mount.

I will likely be trimming the mount down a bit, but wanted to mock it up to see how it looks.

New Year, new front end

Comment

• TheMainMuel
                    • Oct 2010

I want to run a smaller tank (a mid tunnel wassel if it looks right on the bike), so I need to get rid of this double backbone. I took it to Jake Smith Motorworks at the Rice Paddy Compound in Columbus for some single tube action. Three dudes were working in the shop and they are all three named Jake, LMFAO. I guess it makes it easy to remember.

Comment

• OleDirtyDoc
                      • Jul 2013

sweet

Comment

• TheMainMuel
                        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by OleDirtyDoc
                        sweet
                        Thanks!

Comment

• TheMainMuel
                          • Oct 2010

Got the frame back from Jake. Stoked on how it came out!

There is a lot of unnecessariness in that harness. I cut out all the non-essentials.

One of the unnecessary emissions items is the AIS system. I "capped" the ports (bad dah dooch). And used the metal tubing to run my wire.

I moved all the electronics under the seat and used the fake transmission cover for the ignition housing. Made a mount.

Comment

• TheMainMuel
                            • Oct 2010

I was able to fit up the FatBoy cover with just a little trimming. It's not secured yet, just hangin out. I made a new headlight mount (out of steel this time) to hold it in the right place.

Comment

• TheMainMuel
                              • Oct 2010

For months I have planned on running a mid-tunnel wassel. When it finally came time to pull the trigger, Lowbrow was out of stock. Bummer. Pinned is coming up quickly, so I had to go with my plan B tank. This is a PhotoChop of the tank, but gives you the idea.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;