Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knotwerk
    • Apr 2010

Roadstar 1700 choppin & wheel swappin

Started a thread over on one of the Roadstar forum's but thought I'd share here too.
    I've been meaning to start this thread for a little while now.... But I've been too f'n busy putting miles on it!

All cleaned up last season

stock assembly

Raider/Stryker wheel in roadstar swingarm (after mods)

Stock Pulley Cross Section

• knotwerk
    • Apr 2010

Stock

Modified

Comparison

Opened Pulley I.D.

Fitment

Comment

• knotwerk
      • Apr 2010

Got a steal of a deal on a set of black powdercoated Stryker wheels damn that's a front end game changer!

The first cut was the deepest...

cut the horns off. Only to re-attach them at a lower angle. damn hindsight.

Put the fender about 1" lower over the wheel than the stock. I've bottomed out a few times but my spring is adjusted to the lowest point. I've begun adding preload to see if I can avoid raising the fender. (grind&flip is done on this bike)

My Tig guro buddy

He also did a badass job cleaning up this mini-mustang tank.

How sweet is this? Can you believe the stock ignition fits down here? Lots of cutting on the side panel to make it decent but I really like it. Rewiring that, however, was a bit of an undertaking.

Comment

• knotwerk
        • Apr 2010

first attempt at fiberglassing. That shit is cool.

Used a few layers of rubber workout mat flooring I had and they glued down pretty good. Once I'm sure I like the cushion amount I'll be adding leather/vinyl of some sort.

The lady isn't a giant fan of the suction cup p-pad. she toughs it out but I definitely need to lower the rear pegs or get a better seat. She's got legs and although I think it's kinda hot.. when she's on the back her knees are in her ears lol
        The fiberglassing went so well I have plans to do a full king and queen seet with a tall sissybar that is one piece for our longer rides. fingers crossed that comes out alright.

K&N Air cleaner mounted. Didn't come with a bracket so I used the old bracket to the hypercharger that came on the bike when I bought it. This moved the air cleaner out further than I'd like and it woulda hit my leg. I minimized it by mounting the whole damn thing upside down and having it stick up in the air. I kinda dig it.

500 Mile review
        I cannot believe how much BETTER it handles. I used to scrape floor boards at every turn. I’ve only tapped once while riding two up in these 500 miles. Hard to believe the height added by the front wheel would make that much difference. The bike tracks perfectly straight, so straight that if I had cruise control I’d be tempted to ride for miles and miles with no hands. The Stryker front wheel is only single disk braking now but I’ve noticed very little difference.

Misc.
        The digital speedometer was harder to install than I anticipated. Needless to say, I’m fairly intimate with our wiring diagram now. (fyi the speed sensor needs 12v to send the proper signal) I’ll add some more of my notes on that at a later date.

Going pumpless and educating myself on the ins and outs of a Mikuni 42 has been a grand ol’ time. Found a used k &n aircleaner on ebay where the guy said “it has PR on the cover”. Carb had a 147.5 main jet in it that I replaced with a 162.5. That along with the k&n made a HUGE difference. .. but that’s another set of notes all together.
        Last edited by knotwerk; 06-17-2015, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• Westboundbiker
          • Oct 2014

So I take it the fender isn't mounted to the swingarm so your lady can ride? Otherwise, mounting it to the swingarm would mean it'd never hit the tire.

Also, I'm a bit lost on the fiberglass seat... I've seen fiberglass seat pans, with padding on top, but are you just running a solid fiberglass seat?

How did you get those solid models? Straight from Yammy, or did you make them yourself? That's pretty slick if you made em, if you got them from Yammy, I need a hookup! I've got a '12 1300, and would love to be able to make stuff to fit first time.

Tank looks sweet, new front tire looks sweet, though you might want to run some shorter shocks on the front- it may start dragging boards again, but right now it looks a little funny with the nose up in the air, I've got the same issue with my Suzuki bobber.

It's awesome to see guys chopping on these bikes. I'd been figuring that Stars would be the next big thing in chopping. I'm going to keep a close eye on this one!

Comment

• knotwerk
            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Westboundbiker
            So I take it the fender isn't mounted to the swingarm so your lady can ride? Otherwise, mounting it to the swingarm would mean it'd never hit the tire.

Also, I'm a bit lost on the fiberglass seat... I've seen fiberglass seat pans, with padding on top, but are you just running a solid fiberglass seat?

How did you get those solid models? Straight from Yammy, or did you make them yourself? That's pretty slick if you made em, if you got them from Yammy, I need a hookup! I've got a '12 1300, and would love to be able to make stuff to fit first time.

Tank looks sweet, new front tire looks sweet, though you might want to run some shorter shocks on the front- it may start dragging boards again, but right now it looks a little funny with the nose up in the air, I've got the same issue with my Suzuki bobber.

It's awesome to see guys chopping on these bikes. I'd been figuring that Stars would be the next big thing in chopping. I'm going to keep a close eye on this one!
            Thanks for the kind words man!
            -the fender is mounted similar to the original setup
            -in the pics with the yellowish seat I was actually using the seat pan from the stock seat. that didn't last long but got the job done.
            the other pics are my fiberglassed seat with a little padding.
            -the 3d models I did myself. Mechanical Engineer by trade and decided to put it to good use.
            -I had originally planned to lower the front end a bit to level it out. I've added some preload to the rear suspension since the pics and it's a bit more level... I think

Comment

• wolfraider
              • Jan 2013

I love seeing others work on their big Stars.
              This is coming together really nice! Keep it going!

Here is what I've done to my 08 Raider: http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27337

Comment

• Westboundbiker
                • Oct 2014

On the fiberglassed seat- that's a seat pan, with foam on top, with a fiberglass outer shell? Seems a little odd to have a hard outer layer.

I'm an ME myself, and I could go and model all the stuff, but I don't want to have to pull things apart on my stock bike to get measurements if I don't have to, haha. Plus, OE models would be way more accurate than an old pair of calipers. Maybe I can go get a job for Yammy...

Comment

• knotwerk
                  • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Westboundbiker
                  On the fiberglassed seat- that's a seat pan, with foam on top, with a fiberglass outer shell? Seems a little odd to have a hard outer layer.

I'm an ME myself, and I could go and model all the stuff, but I don't want to have to pull things apart on my stock bike to get measurements if I don't have to, haha. Plus, OE models would be way more accurate than an old pair of calipers. Maybe I can go get a job for Yammy...
                  haha sorry for the seat confusion! The yellowish seat is just a fiberglass pan that was under the stock seat that I used for to do a few shake down runs. The foam you see is glued to the fiberglass pan that I made myself to fit nice and flush. I covered it with vinyl last night. looks decent but I was kinda partial to the raw foam.

as far as the models accuracy goes.. the pulley hub is on pillow blocks and once I saw how much the swingarm flexed as you tighten and loosen the axle nut I new that a few thou' (0.001") variation wouldn't matter much. ...but getting a job with yammy wouldn't be so bad either!

Comment

• billybiltit
                    • Aug 2009

killer transformation!
                    thanks for posting,

leon

Comment

• knotwerk
                      • Apr 2010

some updates...
                      Rocked it with the Z bars for a bit

picked a crusty old sissy bar of ebay...

Felt like the apes need to go with it...
                      welded it up and i'm using it currently... kinda dig it.

you can also see I mounted a PR air cleaner upside down using my old hypercharger bracket.

Comment

• bparsel
                        • Jul 2011

Dig the changes. Slapping a smaller headlight on it would really tighten up that front end.

Comment

• blsm
                          • Oct 2010

Love it. This is the first minimalist R* build I've seen where the rear end looks proportional.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;