CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default How works in heights?

So as of now Im a Sign installer, its a pretty cool job. Guarantied 40 as long as you show up. What I love the most is we get to work with electricity and up in the air. There is something so tranquil about being 100 feet up just doing your thing. No one really bothers you unless they really have to. Iv been throwing around ideas in my head of what kind of other jobs are out there where you working much higher than 100 feet. I want to go higher. I have done good searches but its the generic stuff of be a skydiving instructor and so on. Also a friend told be about rope access jobs which sounds super cool to me. I can dig it. Yesterday I was talking to this guy I met he was telling me about elevator techs, they make bank and travel quite a bit. Another thing is my homie and I are wanting to go back to school to finish our engineering degrees. Since we both want to it would be great motivation for us to keep them A's up. With an engineering degree what other doors open? I know this is the Junk Pile but I know someone here is in the know. Thanks for reading fellas. Any info is always good info.

Cisco726

Engineering? Structural Engineering maybe? Work on high rises.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

The dude that changes the lights on top of towers (so the planes can see 'em) makes bank from what I've been told. I don't like heights so I never looked into it more. Any kind of high tower repair costs our company out the ass so I think the dudes make good money doing repairs too.

Get Adobe Flash player

One of my best friends used to climb cell phone towers to do the 4g upgrades. He made some serious loot until he fell off of one about 40 feet up.

Knuckleduster

You don't need a degree to get high at work, fuck I didn't even graduate highschool.
    100' in the air, harnessed into a manlift isn't shit.
    Roof repairs (& tokin') on 20th story, 30-40 MPH wind gusts, no safety equipment of any kind is in use.
    My ass was pretty puckered for the first hour or so, then I relaxed, and just focused on the tasks required of me.

...and yeah, $2,500 for a 12 hr day, was pretty fuckin sweet too!
    Last edited by Knuckleduster; 06-14-2015 at 2:50 PM.

Electrical or mechanical is what im thinking, maybe to be an inspector of some sort. Iv been thinking tower climbers some thought as well. I Know 100 feet aint shit, thats why I wanna go higher man. climbing is what stand out the most to me. Plus some kick as pay.

Get Adobe Flash player

electric wind turbine technician. unlimited work out west.

Cisco726

Quote Originally Posted by Braaap View Post

This always comes to mind whenever I see those-

Get Adobe Flash player

that's why you BASE jump as a hobby.

Get Adobe Flash player

I would climb a 85' boom to grease the tip bearing on a old friction crane to get out of starting it and hearing the dam thing it run long enough to lay the boom down then stand it back up first thing in the morning.Anything to do with cranes and man lifts always gets you high at work.
    Dusty

Get Adobe Flash player

some of those wind turbines go over 300ft.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco726 View Post
    This always comes to mind whenever I see those-
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ician%20salary

$45k a year for that? No thanks. I make a lot more than that to sit an air conditioned office and talk shit with my coworkers while we shoot nerf guns at each other, and I rarely work 40 hours a week.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulum View Post
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ician%20salary

$45k a year for that? No thanks. I make a lot more than that to sit an air conditioned office and talk shit with my coworkers while we shoot nerf guns at each other, and I rarely work 40 hours a week.
    Damn, I make over double that, and I keep my feet on the ground most of the time. If I get off the ground I'm usually climbing stairs. Taxes eat my lunch though.

Cisco726

some of those wind turbines go over 300ft.
    No shit, if I had to go up that shit I'd have a wing suit and chute.

Shovelwitch

Hey grant, what kind of starch do you guys use for those white collars to keep them so crisp and sharp looking?

You get a bachelors degree in engineering and you won't be the one doing the climbing anymore. You'll be given all the people to do the job and you'll be responsible for the design.

Get Adobe Flash player

Union Ironworkers it's all I have ever done pay is good and it's a brotherhood we all watch out for each other and most all of the other trades just stay the fuck out of the way not to mention it's a international union I have had the chance to work all over the place

And we are the ones that pit the wind mills up

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by fish433 View Post
    Union Ironworkers it's all I have ever done pay is good and it's a brotherhood we all watch out for each other and most all of the other trades just stay the fuck out of the way not to mention it's a international union I have had the chance to work all over the place

And we are the ones that pit the wind mills up
    Local 7 here in Boston has their own bail bondsman and lawyer on retainer and on call, short of a felony you'll be home for dinner. No construction goes on within 20 miles of Boston that ain't union, as far as steel waking goes. Service work for sure but remember a non-union shop didn't pull a permit and didn't ask for a fire watch and also didn't pay an alarm company to watch the panel. Just two fire fighters died that day.

Try and put up steel too close to the city and you'll be calling a tow truck to the site.
    Just sayin

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Shovelwitch View Post
    Hey grant, what kind of starch do you guys use for those white collars to keep them so crisp and sharp looking?
    Sta-flo I think, I'd have to ask the maid.

Get Adobe Flash player

what fish and tomsoftail recomend. if i was young and had to do it all over again it would be an iron worker. i did rod work for 10 years and rigged/erected/ operated many tower cranes. the rigging was what i really enjoyed.
    union iron worker. do it. now. remember, no scab stuff.

Share This