Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Easybake323
    • Oct 2021

Brake setup ?

Probably a dumb question but I want to run my rear brake off a hand lever and master cylinder. Will it have enough power to work the rear caliper? I am only running a rear brake and for clutch jockey shift like the idea of freeing my other foot you know for red lights and that kinda stuff lol
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Easybake323
    Probably a dumb question but I want to run my rear brake off a hand lever and master cylinder. Will it have enough power to work the rear caliper? I am only running a rear brake and for clutch jockey shift like the idea of freeing my other foot you know for red lights and that kinda stuff lol
    It's not really a dumb question.........

It would work just ok but that's not the best way to go....... I'm not being a smart ass here....... What you need to do is learn how to ride it with the normal setup........ It's not that hard once you get use to it..........

Comment

• DustyDave
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

A small caliper for the hand lever and leave the foot brake alone is a common solution. I like using the Indian Four clutch pedal that latches down. Mountain roads and lots of drunken neighbors make a way to hold it on a incline, ready to go important!
      My 50 Scout idling in gear with the clutch latched down.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	4e9c371e-f40f-403c-a5ff-54467b2be245_zpss40p1nco.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	1321485
      Dusty
      Last edited by DustyDave; 12-29-2021, 8:27 PM.
      Driving that train, high on cocaine
      Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
      Trouble ahead, trouble behind
      And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Interesting about the Indian four.

How does the latch function? That could be worth copying.

Comment

• ironallen
          • Jun 2012

That sounds scary fun, let me know how it works out.

Comment

• DustyDave
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by farmall
            Interesting about the Indian four.

How does the latch function? That could be worth copying.
            Sorry Farmall I didn't notice this when ya asked.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	FourClutchPedal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1323956
            The Jerry Greer site has drawings that are scalable or will sell you a complete pedal for $140.some odd. The one on my 50 came from fleebay for $70.00 https://www.jerrygreersengineering.c...940&model_id=3 Ifn ya decides to scale holler and I'll get ya some measurements to start scaling. Ya just roll your foot out so the little pedal on the latch rod is free to spring up and it locks down. Roll your foot straight so that the little pedal on the latch rod is depressed and it releases normally.
            Dusty
            Attached Files
            Last edited by DustyDave; 03-06-2023, 9:41 PM.
            Driving that train, high on cocaine
            Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
            Trouble ahead, trouble behind
            And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• ExplodingCoffinEmporium
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Easybake323
              It will have enough power/force, it’s more so an issue of articulation but that can be handled with good planning.

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

Hydraulic advantage is no different if the same-sized caliper is on the rear wheel. Best use a capable caliper and remember hydraulic advantage increases with caliper piston surface area.

That's why dual calipers stop better than singles and why a four or six piston caliper is preferable to the old pathetic Harley single piston small calipers (chosen because old bikers were afraid of discs in an era of low tech-literacy). While weight transfer ensures a rear wheel brake will always be limited you can install the best you can manage. Any brake can lock most wheels but a key advantage of modern calipers is "feel" especially since max braking is just before the rear wheel breaks traction.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;