CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default small update

Not a whole lot has happened with this recently. I've been tinkering on a few other projects. I did get my front wheel painted and added some pinstriping to the tank as well. I also came to the conclusion that I screwed up while painting the two tone. Before I sprayed the stripes, I completely forgot to scuff the first color for better adhesion. So when I went to wetsand for a buff, it would take off little bits of the stripes. Then taping them off took even more paint. It was a complete bonehead move and I was bummed at first, but then I remembered I did not want a 'show bike' that I have to worry about chips and nicks. So I'm rolling with it. I'm sure I could have simply sanded the gray and re-shot it, but I'll probably rub it out a little more once the red cures to make it look more like an old racer or something. Patina if you will. Knowing me, I'll probably repaint it in a year or so anyways if I still own it. Or I can clear it. Who knows what I'll do at this point.

Now that I have the front wheel painted and assembled, I can put that back on the bike this evening and finally have a roller again. Then I can install my controls and headlight. I am currently working on getting my wiring harness cleaned up, stripped down, extended, etc. I'm going mostly bare bones with this. I picked up some gray wire covers and plenty of heat shrink tubing. Just waiting on a new fuse block as I am changing over from the old glass tubes to the blade kind. More on all that later. Here are the most recent pics. In case anyone was wondering, my forks are that high through my triples in order to keep them off the ground (painted lowers) until I can get my front wheel on. They are not staying at that level.

Thanks again for following along with me.

Get Adobe Flash player

Sharp! When I saw the close-up shot of the striping I thought, "that's not bad at all! Good excuse for a nice hand painted red pinstripe."...then I saw the shot with the whole tank. Oh well.

I agree it will look cool with some patina.

Get Adobe Flash player

I decided that I couldn't half a$$ the paint after all this work. I ended up sanding down the gray and red and shot another coat of the white on it. I'm glad I did because it looks much better than last time. Smooth like glass. Not too bad for a shoddy garage paint booth. I'm really liking using single stage paints so far. I'll let this cure a little bit before sanding and taping off for the gray again.

Slapped on my headlight to get a better overall look:

And finally put longer shocks on the rear. These are 12.9" shrouded shocks from a BSA/Triumph with slightly beefier shocks (125lbs each). I think they should work fine since I'm still under 200lbs. I'll probably crank up the preload one notch just in case. These will get painted once I redo the gray on my tank/fender and my crash bars.

Thanks for following.

Get Adobe Flash player

I didn't really plan on making an update anytime real soon since I haven't done anything worth noting, but work is slow and I need to kill some time. I recently decided that I was going to make a front fairing/shroud to go over my headlight and cover my gauge panel. I wasn't looking for anything fancy and wasn't really looking for the cafe racer style shrouds. So I decided to try and make one.

I'm going to attach this using my existing headlight mounting bracket/holes just to keep things easy. I'm still debating on attaching the gauge panel to the shroud just for stability reasons, but we will see ones its completed. I will be incorporating the same ridge design from my tank and rear fender into this to keep things consistent. Once I complete this, I will spray it the same off white color then add stripes to everything at the same time. Since my last update I've scuffed and prepped the tank and rear fender for updated stripes. No more peeling this time...

So I made about a million little sketches of what I was looking for....

Made a few different cardboard patterns. This was not the final design as my headlight was not angled correctly. I had to reassemble the rear (thats another story all together) in order to get the ride height set back, then adjust the headlight to the right angle.

then using my paper template, I started with the metal work. I wanted to try and roll the edges for a smoother look. I had never done this before, but had seen some things online and decided to give it a go. I'm not sure why my phone decided to crop the images so much, but it is what it is. Here is the basic layout with and extra 1/2" surround that I will be folding over.

These images are kinda useless since they are cropped, but what I basically did was take a 1/16" welding rod and place it along the line that I wanted for my edge. I then manually bent up the edges with some pliers and tapped them over the rod until it was pretty tight. The first side I did, I attempted in one go which, although more visually appealing in the end, was a pain in the a$$ to get looking right. So I decided to instead cut several tabs along the way and fold those over. Although not as pretty, this was much easier. Once completed, I welt around the edge with a body hammer and dolly to get everything a little more flat.

I still need to clean up my edges and then then shape it to my light, but this is pretty much where I stopped last night. I will weld on the center ridge and then smooth it out with a little filler next. This should stay fairly sturdy in the wind and help deflect some of it off my chest. Sorry again about the crappy photos, I have since switched cameras.

Hopefully my next update will include my gauge panel/shroud combo as well as some fresh paint. I did get my shocks and crash bars painted and installed, but somehow didn't take any pictures. I also detailed my rear sprocket/drum brake. I'll get better pics of those once I pinstripe and reinstall my pizza pans.

Coming soon.... Electrical!

Thanks again to all those watching.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hells yeah! As soon as I saw that headlight I thought, "Man, this is one time I would go for a little fairing." I don't usually like them but this bike makes it work. This is one cool ass build, brother! Good work!

Get Adobe Flash player

Still shaping this up a little better. Its still pretty rough but should work out. Currently bracing the underside so it won't flex after painting.

Just enough room for my speedo and ignition in there. Nice and hidden.

Thanks for looking!

Get Adobe Flash player

I like the side view a lot. The front 3/4 view males the top of the cowl look a little flat. Looking forward to seeing the gauges in it.

Good Job!

Get Adobe Flash player

Careful with how much you slid the forks up through the triple tree. It *may* get pretty squirrely and have some tank slappers, depending on the rest of the geometry. There are ways to reduce the height of your forks without sliding them up, but I'm not too sure of how on the kawis.

Get Adobe Flash player

Loving that small fairing

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Westboundbiker View Post
    Careful with how much you slid the forks up through the triple tree. It *may* get pretty squirrely and have some tank slappers, depending on the rest of the geometry. There are ways to reduce the height of your forks without sliding them up, but I'm not too sure of how on the kawis.
    Oh yeah, those are not set to ride height just yet. With the new shocks out back and new springs up front, I get too much lean with the kickstand down. I'm modifying one of my extra kickstands to have an extension 'pad' of sorts to give it a little more height (I'll make a post about that later). Once I get that set, I'll lower the forks to have roughly 1" exposed up top. I'm sure there will be some trial and error on the final setup though. Thanks for looking out though!

Get Adobe Flash player

It's been a long while since an update. Here are some semi recent pics.

Get Adobe Flash player

So hot!

Get Adobe Flash player

Thank you! Just doing what I can to make a CSR a little more appealing.

Get Adobe Flash player

It feels like its been forever since I have updated this thread. Been pretty busy with trying to plan a wedding and find a house with a real garage. I am pretty much done with this build. I have a few areas to hit with some touch up paint and I still need to find a local sign painter to throw some numbers on the rear fender. But other than that, its pretty much done (until the next rendition). A few weeks ago I took it over to my brothers garage after a minor incident involving the fire department, a leaking petcock and my apartment complex. And to be honest, trying to tune a motorcycle in an apartment garage is super loud and my neighbors can only tolerate so much shenanigans from me. At my brothers, we spent a little longer than I am proud to admit trying to get it tuned again. Kept having issues with cylinders 1 and 3 not really firing. Keep in mind that we didn't adjust anything on the carbs when I took them off, so I was baffled. Turned out to be an intake leak between the engine and the carb inlet boots (whatever those are called). Tightened a few things and we are good. I have a small exhaust leak on #1, but should be corrected once the copper gaskets come in and get installed. For those curious about the tuning with the velocity stacks, the carbs are Mikuni BS34SS off a Suzuki 750/900 using 135 mains and 42.5 pilots. I'm using a semi-dense foam lawnmower filter inside the stacks to keep debris out. I think they are turned out about 2-2.5 turns on the air/fuel inlet. All running into a 4into1 exhaust. It sounds wonderful. For good measure, we decided to check the valve clearances. Some were a little loose, but still within tolerances. We added shims where needed. Sounds better now, less valve chatter. We finished this up this last weekend, but due to the rain, were unable to do my shake down runs. Weather should be clearing up tomorrow, so fingers crossed.

Great news for me what aside from the horn, all my electrical was spot on after the rewiring was done. So many hours spent staring at various wiring diagrams and installing new connectors, heat shrink and wire loom covers actually paid off. I was real worried I would need to rip it back apart after I got it installed and tried to fire up the bike. Victory!

I finally got my seat done. I took the heavy metal pan I had made previously to a local upholsterer. Asked It took the guy I found a little longer than I would have liked, but the seat itself looks and feels great. And it only cost me $200 for everything. So I wasn't too worried about the wait.

underside:

Thanks again for everyone following along. Its been fun. I learned alot on this build. Some for the good and some for the bad. Next bike will be even better and much simpler.

Regards,
    Matt

Get Adobe Flash player

Such a awesome build.
    Glad I came back and found the end result.
    Impressive!

Get Adobe Flash player

I forgot about this thread. Added a running light to the bike. Works great on country roads.

Share This