CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Got the triple tree roughed in. Still need to clean up a bit around where it bolts down. I'll probably use a little filler to smooth it out a bit as well. Man, these are a pain to weld on. Had to crank up the amps real high just to get it to melt. Sometimes I really hate welding aluminum.

Tacked a ridge on one of my tanks to match the rear fender. I'm getting this one prepped for paint first. I still want to do the knee cutout on one of my other tanks at some point, but I really just want to ride ASAP, so that will wait until this is done. I' also welded in a set of bungs on the passenger side for my own gas sight tube thingys. I had already welded up the gas sender holes in the bottom and it seemed better than trying to count every 100 miles of riding. If I don't like it afterwards, I will omit it on the next tank (did I mention I have 3 CSR tanks to work with?). This tank had a ton of little dents all over it, so me and this filler are becoming real good friends.

Also built a crude license plate bracket which mounts off my lower shock mount. I can't believe what some people charge for these things. It was super simple to make. I may make another later that incorporates another brake light or something.

I still need to finish my gauge cluster and find an upholsterer. I've got a few metal/wood tables to build right now, so progress is slow on the bike. But I'm not quitting.

If these pics are too big, just let me know and I will insert them as attachments from now on.

Thanks for watching.

Get Adobe Flash player

No real updates. It's been too wet and humid to paint (no paint booth, just in my garage). But I made these wheel covers out of pizza pans. I couldn't justify the cost (or looks) of the ones out there. I'll use all thread and some black oxide acorn nuts to hold them on after paint. I still need to drill a hole for my tires air nozzle first. Probably will put some sort of tubing along the inside to prevent scratching my wheels. No more cleaning these spokes!!

Anyways, thanks for looking.

Get Adobe Flash player

love the pizza pan wheelcover idea,

leon

Get Adobe Flash player

great job i love it .

Get Adobe Flash player

Thank you. For those wishing to make their own discs, it was pretty simple. I just found the center of the pan, drilled a hole and made a makeshift compass to mark my desired circle width. If I remember correctly my drum was roughly 7.5" diameter. After scratching that in the pan, I cut it out using a jigsaw and flap disc to clean up the hole.

Drill some evenly spaced holes to sandwich on the wheel and bolt together. Bam! Cheap way to keep from having to look at dirty spokes. I may change the pizza pans to some 15" hubcaps later. Just need to find some nice ones that aren't $100+ a set.

Thanks again.

Get Adobe Flash player

great thread ! love your ideas, pizza pan is awesome, gotta find me some 18" now !

Get Adobe Flash player

That's such a great idea..

Get Adobe Flash player

Default I done something similar with pizza pans.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	68971
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatur View Post
    No real updates. It's been too wet and humid to paint (no paint booth, just in my garage). But I made these wheel covers out of pizza pans. I couldn't justify the cost (or looks) of the ones out there. I'll use all thread and some black oxide acorn nuts to hold them on after paint. I still need to drill a hole for my tires air nozzle first. Probably will put some sort of tubing along the inside to prevent scratching my wheels. No more cleaning these spokes!!

Anyways, thanks for looking.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	68971
    Very nice! The pans were definitely not my original idea. Pretty sure I saw/read about some others doing it on here.

Get Adobe Flash player

Its prime(ing) time! Shot some high fill primer on the large pieces. Once they fully dry, I'll do another light sand and prep for the basecoat. I changed my mind on the dark grey and decided to go back to my original plan of being a lighter grey. Should work out better in the end. Just waiting on the new grey to show up.

The second tank belongs to my brother's KZ650 SR. I'll be shooting it black with black flake and a candy blue topcoat. Should be subtle but pop in the sunlight.
    Last edited by Tatur; 04-24-2016 at 10:49 AM. Reason: words and such

Get Adobe Flash player

Default We Have Paint!

Weather has been much better lately which means I was finally able got the frame painted. It's a single stage paint from TCP Global's Restoration Shop. It's the first time I've ever sprayed single stage before. Before this it has always been BC/CC jobs. I really like this stuff. The frame itself was a pain to spray though. So many nooks, crannys and just hard to reach spots. I might do a light cut and buff on it later. Once it fully cures I'll take it outside and see how it looks.

I also painted my tank and rear fender/seat area. This was also a single stage. I know for a fact I will cut and buff this one soon. I still need to spray the grey stripes on these pieces. I will lay those out once the frame cures and I can bolt these back on to eyeball the layout. The stripes will be the same grey as the frame.

I still have a few more paint sessions I need to do. Mostly smaller items. Once I get the engine brackets painted I will be able to start reassembly. I'm really looking forward to that step the most. This bike has been apart for far too long.

Thanks again for looking. I hope my next update is during the assembly process.

Get Adobe Flash player

Colors seem to look better in the sunshine. Time to layout the stripes on the tank and fender. Should have most all the painting done by this weekend if things go right. So many little bits to shoot...

Thanks again for those watching.

Get Adobe Flash player

wow!
    cool color choice can't wait to see the stripes

keep us posted,

leon

Get Adobe Flash player

Lots of nice little details there. Good job! Inspiring, for sure.

Get Adobe Flash player

Stripes are now on. Just letting everything cure now. Almost time to assemble after a little buffing. I anticipate that I will put a small red pinstripe to break up the colors and clean up my edges. I'm really anxious to put it all back together.

Contrasting center panel in there:

Should look good with a yellow light...

Thanks for following along.
    -Matt

Get Adobe Flash player

Exciting! This is gonna be one cool-ass bike!

Get Adobe Flash player

It was a pretty wet and humid weekend, so I spent some time in the garage tinkering on the bike again. I went ahead and installed new steering stem bearings this weekend. I used the 'All Balls' tapered bearings. Pretty simple job once I got the old races out of the frame. Then a little later I was able to slip the frame over the engine and then began the initial mock up assembly. I'm trying to replace all the bolts with black oxide socket heads as I go along. I missed a few needed bolts in my last order and will need to get those on the next order. It's slowly starting to come together. Once I am satisfied, I will put thread locker on most everything. I still need to buff out and pinstripe the tank and seat. Overall I'm pretty happy with the outcome. I should have installed the forks first. I won't be able to lift the front high enough to slip those in until I get my frame sliders painted and installed. If I can get an extra hand to come over before then I might be able to jack everything up while still on the dolly. We shall see I guess...

Thanks for following along...
    Last edited by Tatur; 05-16-2016 at 7:44 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Looking good. I really like that color combo!

Get Adobe Flash player

wasn`t convinced with your color and stripes design, much better on the bike I must say...

Get Adobe Flash player

I like the color combo

Share This